Send Topic Print
My Kitchen Rules (Read 3599 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: My Kitchen Rules
Reply #15 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 12:28pm

Black Orchid wrote on Mar 3rd, 2015 at 12:23pm:
Commercial dried herbs, tinned tomatoes and bottled capsicum and they didn't get their marching orders?

"We're so hot, we're so hot, we're so hot".  Pppfffttt.

its fixed isnt it?? we never see the judges votes until after the count.....if that soppy dessert was worth a 7 I will eat raw meat....nothing they made looked even remotely like competition food...

its for the drama  and of course  being pretty helps.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

we shall see how long they last

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #16 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 12:55pm

Most of those 'reality' shows are rigged and they try to keep the most controversial contestants going for as long as possible so viewers will tune in.  It has the opposite effect on me.  I get irritated   Grin

I like watching the recipes though but I didn't think the girls made anything worthy of a cooking competition.  It all looked bland and tasteless.

The lipstick kisses on the table mirrors turned me off before they even began cooking and taking 55 minutes to get dressed and ready?  Gimme a break!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Mar 3rd, 2015 at 8:55pm

[quote author=Black_Orchid link=1423802080/16#16 date=1425351356]Most of those 'reality' shows are rigged and they try to keep the most controversial contestants going for as long as possible so viewers will tune in.  It has the opposite effect on me.  I get irritated   Grin

I like watching the recipes though but I didn't think the girls made anything worthy of a cooking competition.  It all looked bland and tasteless.

The lipstick kisses on the table mirrors turned me off before they even began cooking and taking 55 minutes to get dressed and ready?  Gimme a break![/quote]

you can see where their priorities lay...

is my lippy on straight...

they must have forgot they were wearing an apron...lol

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #18 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:41pm

Whilst things are quiet on the southern front I might resurrect my original MKR thread and post some recipes.  I am definitely going to try these sometime soon.

Bombolini with Raspberry Coulis and Crème Anglaise

Ingredients

Vegetable oil, for deep frying
Extra caster sugar, for rolling

BOMBOLONI

225g plain flour
110g caster sugar
2 tbs baking powder
½ tsp salt
500g Perfect Italiano ricotta
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbs vanilla extract

CRÈME ANGLAISE

150ml milk
150ml pure cream
4 egg yolks
80g caster sugar

RASPBERRY COULIS

300g frozen raspberries
55g caster sugar

Method
To make bombolini, sift combined flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Gently stir in combined ricotta, eggs and vanilla. Cover mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 40 minutes.

To make crème anglaise, heat milk and cream in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, without boiling, until hot

Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until combined. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture. Return mixture to same pan. Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium-low heat, for about 5 minutes or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain into a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.

To make raspberry coulis, stir all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until raspberries have broken down and sugar has dissolved. Push mixture through a sieve. Refrigerate until cold.

To cook bombolini, deep fry tablespoons of mixture in small batches, turning with a fork, for about 3-4 minutes or until golden, crisp and cooked through.
Drain on absorbent paper and roll in caster sugar.

Serve bombolini with crème anglaise and raspberry coulis.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #19 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:44pm

Green Papaya Salad with Salt and Pepper Prawns

Ingredients

12 medium green prawns, peeled, tails intact
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
Fried shallots, chopped roasted peanuts and lemon wedges, to serve

SALAD DRESSING

60ml (¼ cup) fish sauce
60ml (¼ cup) vinegar
2 tbs grated palm sugar
1 tbs lime juice

SPICE MIX

½ tsp ground Szechuan pepper
1½ tsp sea-salt flakes
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
3 sprigs Vietnamese mint, shredded

GREEN PAPAYA SALAD

500g green papaya, cut into julienne
2 carrots peeled, cut into julienne
1 cup shredded mint leaves
1 cup shredded Vietnamese mint
1 cup shredded coriander leaves
15 Thai basil leaves, shredded

TEMPURA BATTER

225g (1½ cups) tempura flour
180g (1 cup) rice flour
400ml cold soda water
1 lime, juiced
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup ice cubes

Method
To make salad dressing, whisk all ingredients in a bowl until sugar dissolves. Set aside until required.

To make spice mix, combine all ingredients in a large bowl.

To make green papaya salad, place all ingredients in a bowl.

To make tempura batter, sift flours into a mixing bowl. Using chopsticks, gently stir in soda water, lime juice and egg until a thin batter forms (it will still have some small lumps). Stir in ice cubes.

Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Dip prawns into batter, then gently drop into oil and fry, turning halfway, for 3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Add to spice mix and toss to coat.

Add dressing to salad and toss to combine.

Divide salad among serving plates and top with prawns. Garnish with fried shallots and nuts. Serve with lemon wedge on the side.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #20 - May 23rd, 2015 at 11:52am

I am glad the boys won.  The last pair of male friends on the show were severely ripped off for 1st place which was obviously rigged and a very bad move.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - May 25th, 2015 at 8:38pm

it was my mums 75th birthday on the weekend so I made her a Cake...  Smiley

a Coffee Cake...

I reckon I've had a piece of this years ago, like over 30 years ago... I still remember the flavour and taste..

I saw the recipe in the paper one weekend... may have been that oliver dude or something..

he called it a Cappuccino Cake but we just used normal coffee...

but it turned out great and "just" moist enough to be near perfect... I reckon its one of the best balanced cake I've made in terms of being, not too dry, not to moist...

and it was yummy... my granddaughter grabbed a piece and gobbled it down as did other members of the family... there was Black Forrest Cake as well on offer as the competition.. {professionally made}

but people came back for seconds on the coffee cake later in the afternoon when having a cuppa...  Smiley

so I was very pleased with myself.. Smiley

http://lovinghomemade.com/2015/04/01/jamie-olivers-cappuccino-cake/

ps.. my cake was one layer and square...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print