Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Women's Rights - Major Concerns II (Read 7012 times)
Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Women's Rights - Major Concerns II
Feb 12th, 2015 at 11:54pm

Mark II to return to topic.

I now live I the middle east and the rights of women is now thrust to the forefront of my everyday experience. It is clear to me that as a man, I am accustomed to women having equal rights in all things (note: being married I am aware that sometime they have more rights than I do ... Smiley......

However I am raising this concern. The world appears to not want to implement equal rights even though 191 countries signed up to a treaty to seek to implement this. This was a major global women’s rights treaty was ratified by the majority of the world’s nations a few decades ago. I do not see progress for this and I feel the world is starting to go backwards and if particular extreme ideologies continue to expand... I see things for women on average getting worse.

I also like the view that progress on women's rights around the world is an important indicator to understand global well-being. if this is true then the world is getting sicker.

What do women here think of the trend for women in the world. Is my current location in the world colouring my view? Maybe it is getting better in Australia and only worse else where. Where I am in the world, some places by law see women as property.....  I can beat and kill them without consequence. In some places women are not even register at birth.....

The following site is a good reference. It's 5 years old but still relevant IMO.

A summary statement on the issues from this site: Global Issue - Womens Rights
Women’s rights around the world is an important indicator to understand global well-being.

A major global women’s rights treaty was ratified by the majority of the world’s nations a few decades ago.

Yet, despite many successes in empowering women, numerous issues still exist in all areas of life, ranging from the cultural, political to the economic. For example, women often work more than men, yet are paid less; gender discrimination affects girls and women throughout their lifetime; and women and girls are often are the ones that suffer the most poverty.

Many may think that women’s rights are only an issue in countries where religion is law, such as many Muslim countries. Or even worse, some may think this is no longer an issue at all. But reading this report about the United Nation’s Women’s Treaty and how an increasing number of countries are lodging reservations, will show otherwise.

Gender equality furthers the cause of child survival and development for all of society, so the importance of women’s rights and gender equality should not be underestimated.

An opinion on the status

Thirty years after the adoption of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), many girls and women still do not have equal opportunities to realize rights recognized by law. In many countries, women are not entitled to own property or inherit land. Social exclusion, “honor” killings, female genital mutilation, trafficking, restricted mobility and early marriage among others, deny the right to health to women and girls and increase illness and death throughout the life-course.

We will not see sustainable progress unless we fix failures in health systems and society so that girls and women enjoy equal access to health information and services, education, employment and political positions.

— Dr Margaret Chan, Director-General, World Health Organization, Equal rights and opportunities for women and girls essential for better health, International Women’s Day, March 8, 2010

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Re: Women's Rights - Major Concerns II
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:17am

I never would have thought that women's rights would/could be reversed in the States but that is what is happening.  Abortion and contraceptive access is being restricted.  Conservatives here oppose "equal pay for equal work" legislation.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Schrodingersdog

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:23am

Thank you for restarting this topic Super Nova after it was hijacked by trolls.

The Middle East is far from recognising the rights of women because it is run by Muslim men who think that their suppression of women is protection of women. They see the western world as populated by loose women like A.G and it is up to them and their laws to protect the good women from being hurt by the corruption that women like A.G bring.

It's a vicious circle of moral corruption.

IP Logged

Schrodingersdog

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:25am

AiA wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:17am:
Conservatives here oppose "equal pay for equal work" legislation. 

Do you have a link for that?

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:26am

Schrodingersdog wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:23am:
Thank you for restarting this topic Super Nova after it was hijacked by trolls.

The Middle East is far from recognising the rights of women because it is run by Muslim men who think that their suppression of women is protection of women. They see the western world as populated by loose women like A.G and it is up to them and their laws to protect the good women from being hurt by the corruption that women like A.G bring.

It's a vicious circle of moral corruption.

You haven't helped matters by mentioning A.G. in your post ... just more trolling.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:27am

Schrodingersdog wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:25am:

there is no shortage of links for this topic.  find them yourself.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:30am

why do we even care what happens in the  middle east, I view those who reside there and accepting their 40 pieces of silver as sell outs. The moment Qantas announced they were routing all their European flights through Dubai was the moment I decided never to fly Qantas again. Basically by working there and accepting their money you are supporting their abysmal attitude towards human rights, despite also being a cultural quisling.

IP Logged

Schrodingersdog

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:43am

AiA wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:27am:
Schrodingersdog wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:25am:

there is no shortage of links for this topic.  find them yourself.

So you were just making it up and have no evidence of conservatives in the US opposing equal pay for women.

If you don't have sources for your lies, you need to frame your statements as your opinion rather than fact. That may hurt a little but it would save me from having to expose you as a liar when you are unable to produce a source for your unfounded allegations.

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:52am

Schrodingersdog wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:43am:
So you were just making it up and have no evidence of conservatives in the US opposing equal pay for women.

Late last year, Republican senators, including all four Republican women, unanimously voted against the Paycheck Fairness Act, which was framed to help women learn whether they earn less than their male colleagues and to force employers to explain or justify why two similarly qualified workers earn different wages.

This is the third time since 2012 that Republicans have voted down the bill.

There is quite a bit of information you could find on this if you could learn how to use the internet.

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2015 at 4:03pm

rhino wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:30am:
why do we even care what happens in the  middle east, I view those who reside there and accepting their 40 pieces of silver as sell outs.

I don't care to much either however living here has brought the issue to the front of my mind.

However if the trends here spread then we should be concerned.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 11:06pm

Schrodingersdog wrote on Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:43am:
If you don't have sources for your lies, you need to frame your statements as your opinion rather than fact. That may hurt a little but it would save me from having to expose you as a liar when you are unable to produce a source for your unfounded allegations.

Mmmm ... no.  It is common knowledge to those of us who live in the States, but if you insist:

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/217775-senate-gop-blocks-equal-pay-...

What next?  Will you ask me to post a link proving Obama is half-black?  That Hillary Clinton is a woman?  I can do that too  Cheesy

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 11:24pm

I thought Obama was half white. Just shows how wrong you can be.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 2:15am

rhino wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 11:24pm:
I thought Obama was half white. Just shows how wrong you can be.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2016 at 7:57am

Southwestern University in Texas has canceled its annual production of “The Vagina Monologues” because its author, Eve Ensler, is white — and featuring a performance written by a white lady would just not be inclusive to women of other races.

But wait, there's more....

Vagina beer

Using a campaign on the crowdfunding site Indiegogo, a company called The Order of Yoni (‘yoni’ means ‘vagina’ in Sanskrit) says that it has “prepared technology making [the] creation of such unique beer possible”.

Described as containing the “quintessence of femininity”, the beer is made using lactic acid bacteria isolated from a Czech model and propagated to brew a sour beer, the company says.

Lactic acid bacteria, or lactobacillus, is commonly used to make cheese and yoghurt, as well as being used in the brewing sour beers such as Belgian lambics.

It occurs naturally in the gastrointestinal tract of humans and other animals. It is also part of part of a woman’s vaginal microbiota.

The Order of Yoni claims it has used the vaginal bacteria of a Czech model named Alexandra Brendlovato to create its prototype beer.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Dec 2nd, 2023 at 6:32pm

This Topic was moved here from Women's Issues by freediver.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print