Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 42
Send Topic Print
God Does Not Exist. End of Story.... (Read 78078 times)
Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Re: God Does Not Exist. End of Story....
Reply #495 - Jun 27th, 2015 at 2:03am

Stratos wrote on Jun 26th, 2015 at 6:56pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Jun 26th, 2015 at 2:32pm:
If God does not exist, then why the hell are all you people talking about him/her?

Because people believe in these things, and that matters.

At least that's why I think it is important to discuss religion as a non believer.

Yes, as an atheist, it does matter to me. Because these people who believe (in varying degrees) in the intangible have shaped and continue to shape our world of earthly existence.

Unfortunately, their word is often hypocritical in that they sometimes assume themselves as something greater than an ordinary person because of their imagined exclusive connection with the supernatural.

This can lead to despotism and misery here on earth just a despicable as any of the most sinister tyrants the world has ever seen. They deserve a close eye, just as our many other budding tyrants do, despite religion.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #496 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 11:36am

My beloved Atheist stepfather is dying. He's in hospital and in and out of consciousness. He has been an Atheist for as long as I can remember.

A couple of days ago, my mum and sister put me on speaker phone so I could tell him how adored he was and he started trying to speak. It was unintelligible in the beginning, then I could make out "going". I said "I love you, darling" and he replied quite clearly that he loves me and will see me in another place.

His sudden belief is a comfort to my family. He believes he's going to heaven or some such place, which surely makes the knowledge that you're dying less frightening.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #497 - Jun 28th, 2015 at 11:43am

vikaryan wrote on Feb 12th, 2015 at 6:42am:
Big Bang Theory? You’ve got to be kidding.

Quantum equation predicts universe has no beginning

(Phys.org) — The universe may have existed forever, according to a new model that applies quantum correction terms to complement Einstein’s theory of general relativity. The model may also account for dark matter and dark energy, resolving multiple problems at once. 

The widely accepted age of the universe, as estimated by general relativity, is 13.8 billion years. In the beginning, everything in existence is thought to have occupied a single infinitely dense point, or singularity. Only after this point began to expand in a “Big Bang” did the universe officially begin.

Although the Big Bang singularity arises directly and unavoidably from the mathematics of general relativity, some scientists see it as problematic because the math can explain only what happened immediately after—not at or before—the singularity.

"The Big Bang singularity is the most serious problem of general relativity because the laws of physics appear to break down there," Ahmed Farag Ali at Benha University and the Zewail City of Science and Technology, both in Egypt, told Phys.org.

Ali and coauthor Saurya Das at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta, Canada, have shown in a paper published in Physics Letters B that the Big Bang singularity can be resolved by their new model in which the universe has no beginning and no end.

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum-equation-universe.html

In physics nothing can be created from nothing, it either has to exist in one form of energy or another so it may be changed.

Therefore I propose that only God can create something out of nothing, that is something so small it can stand on the pointy end of a needle and then expand to the universe we know today.

Can only be Gods work cause physics cant explain it.

In the bible it says that he created the light first and then the stars......????

Could this light be the big bang......??????

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #498 - Jun 29th, 2015 at 12:37am

Annie Anthrax wrote on Jun 28th, 2015 at 11:36am:
My beloved Atheist stepfather is dying. He's in hospital and in and out of consciousness. He has been an Atheist for as long as I can remember.

A couple of days ago, my mum and sister put me on speaker phone so I could tell him how adored he was and he started trying to speak. It was unintelligible in the beginning, then I could make out "going". I said "I love you, darling" and he replied quite clearly that he loves me and will see me in another place.

His sudden belief is a comfort to my family. He believes he's going to heaven or some such place, which surely makes the knowledge that you're dying less frightening.

Yep.

Atheists go to a better place.           Roll Eyes

You've convinced me Annie.

....or is it all about self assuredness ?

Atheists know that there is no God, therefore atheists [reason that they] can choose for themselves, what is permissible behaviour in life.

Thankfully, most of us [even atheists] listen to our own conscience, especially when our conscience dis-advises us from some particular course.

I hope that your stepfather found peace.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #499 - Jul 3rd, 2015 at 10:52am

bludger wrote on Jun 24th, 2015 at 3:52pm:
Enough of this tommyrot.
belief is something people think of as a FACT WITHOUT PROOF.
You cannot see this god entity or hear it or feel it because it's not there. If you make a big claim like this you need impeccable evidence and lots of it. You have none. I don't have to prove there isn't, you have to prove there is.
But let us look at it a different way.
I hold up a radio, you can see it you can feel it you can hear it, but I believe it doesn't exist no matter what you say. But that flies in the face of reason you say. So it might
But I hold that view because i believe you can't prove it even if you say you can. Your god hypothesis dies on the spot. In the end logic dictates. And if your god thing created everything then it is 100% responsible for everything that follows, not you.  Roll Eyes

I believe in life, but you try defining it or even proving it in a general sense.  Are viruses alive?

I define God = life. Now prove me wrong  Wink

It's a human thing.

Quote:
Atheists know that there is no God, therefore atheists [reason that they] can choose for themselves, what is permissible behaviour in life.

Atheists don't know anything of the sort. As a Christian, you also choose for yourself. You choose to base your life (pretty approximately I'd say) on the basis of your religion. That's choosing for yourself.

There is not a lot of difference between atheists and anybody else. Human beings are all a mixture of rational and irrational beliefs and behaviours based largely on our upbringing and life experience.

My mother died a few weeks ago. As an atheist, I believe that everything goes when we die. As a human being, I cling to sentimental notions, like saying that she's with my father now.

It's a human thing. We are not 100% rational. It would be horrible if we were.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2015 at 11:01am by John_Taverner »  
72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #500 - Jul 5th, 2015 at 5:56am

Yadda wrote on Jun 29th, 2015 at 12:37am:
Annie Anthrax wrote on Jun 28th, 2015 at 11:36am:

Yep.

Atheists go to a better place.           Roll Eyes

You've convinced me Annie.

....or is it all about self assuredness ?

Thankfully, most of us [even atheists] listen to our own conscience, especially when our conscience dis-advises us from some particular course.

I hope that your stepfather found peace.

You absolute snake. Her stepfather is preparing himself for the end and you roll your eyes.

And then have the gall to say "I hope your stepfather found peace"

Thank goodness you are not a real Christian.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #501 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 7:02am

Raven wrote on Jul 5th, 2015 at 5:56am:
You absolute snake. Her stepfather is preparing himself for the end and you roll your eyes.

And then have the gall to say "I hope your stepfather found peace"

Thank goodness you are not a real Christian.

Oh but he is. If he'd lived in the 18th century, he'd have loved  sentencing first time adulterers to 2 hours on the pillories.

Being a Christian has little to do with the Bible, except for carefully selected passages, all of which have equivalent and opposites. It's about taking a defacto moral high ground through Jesus Christ, because they lack the ability to do it by themselves.

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #502 - Jul 6th, 2015 at 8:56am

John_Taverner wrote on Jul 3rd, 2015 at 10:52am:
Quote:

Atheists don't know anything of the sort. As a Christian, you also choose for yourself. You choose to base your life (pretty approximately I'd say) on the basis of your religion. That's choosing for yourself.

There is not a lot of difference between atheists and anybody else. Human beings are all a mixture of rational and irrational beliefs and behaviours based largely on our upbringing and life experience.

My mother died a few weeks ago. As an atheist, I believe that everything goes when we die. As a human being, I cling to sentimental notions, like saying that she's with my father now.

It's a human thing.

We are not 100% rational.

It would be horrible if we were.

The consequences of man being more rational.....

IMO, this world would be a much, much better place if we [mankind] were more inclined to acknowledge [to others] that which is true [when we do recognise something which is true].

But men are NOT rational beings.

Men seek to fulfil their own 'appetites', not to seek after what is true.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
    - Winston Churchill

It is proof of a base and low mind for one to wish to think with the masses or majority, merely because the majority is the majority. Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people.
   - Giordano Bruno (1548- burned at the stake, 1600)

Quote:

A simple definition of SANITY/INSANITY.

Typically, an unrestrained sane person will act in ways which are harmless to others, and in ways which are creative, and productive [for himself, others, and society].

And typically, and conversely, an unrestrained INSANE person will act in ways which are harmful and destructive to himself, and, or, others around him.

'Normal' criminal behaviour - in mankind
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1293669294/0#0

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2015 at 9:03am by Yadda »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #503 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 1:57pm

YAY atheism such fun maffs Smiley

God exists. Its undeniable. In an infinite universe suspended in a infinite sea of universes all things are true. and false. It just depends if its true where you are or not. Which come down to observation. Which is unique and objective.

All matter is linked sub atomically through quantum mechanisms which operate outside of our meta universe, and which allow information and energy to be transmitted through time and space over any distance and direction.

I wouldn't postulate as to the  possibilities of a sentient intelligence operating in this realm or to any abilities said sentience may possess.  All ill say is the science is there to support my opinion, it makes me happy and brings comfort to my life.

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #504 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 9:38pm

Pho Huc wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 1:57pm:

God exists. Its undeniable. In an infinite universe suspended in a infinite sea of universes all things are true. and false. It just depends if its true where you are or not. Which come down to observation. Which is unique and objective.

All matter is linked sub atomically through quantum mechanisms which operate outside of our meta universe, and which allow information and energy to be transmitted through time and space over any distance and direction.

I wouldn't postulate as to the  possibilities of a sentient intelligence operating in this realm or to any abilities said sentience may possess.  All ill say is the science is there to support my opinion, it makes me happy and brings comfort to my life.

So... God exists, just not in our universe but another one? Huh And this god that exists in another universe may have created this universe and all the life on our planet? Undecided

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #505 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 10:34pm

all universes coexist , you cant be inside or outside of a universe, only part of a universe. i personally dont believe that god created the earth but i know that god must have created the earth because other people believe it. the act of belief is a kind of observation, and creates its own universe . its all way flipping complicated. happy to bring insight or entertainment to anyone querying pho's church of transdimensional interchromic tiny things

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #506 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 11:16pm

Pho Huc wrote on Jul 16th, 2015 at 10:34pm:
all universes coexist , you cant be inside or outside of a universe, only part of a universe. i personally dont believe that god created the earth but i know that god must have created the earth because other people believe it. the act of belief is a kind of observation, and creates its own universe . its all way flipping complicated. happy to bring insight or entertainment to anyone querying pho's church of transdimensional interchromic tiny things

Have you met It_Is_The_Light?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #507 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 11:20pm

Setanta wrote on Jul 16th, 2015 at 9:38pm:

So... God exists, just not in our universe but another one? Huh And this god that exists in another universe may have created this universe and all the life on our planet? Undecided

We do not know!

Men [as created beings] do not [yet] have the capacity to understand their circumstances.

We have always been struggling [in philosophical debate] to 'satisfy ourselves', and to explain [and to try to define] what reality is!

But we do not have the intellectual capacity to understand our circumstances.

e.g.
How do you put 100 litres, into a 20 litre container ?

It is not something which can be accomplished.

But don't stress, the knowledge will come,          .......for those who seek.

Some of us are going to be 'upgraded'.         .......those who seek.

But many of us, do not seek [reality].

Many of us have been totally distracted by the 'pleasures' of this world.      [...this particular 'nature', of our circumstance, makes me believe that it was designed this way!    to be an intentional 'trap', for the.....]

Look around!

Many of us have 'gone native' here !!!

What will become of them ?

2 Timothy 3:2
For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3  Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4  Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

Luke 16:8
And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.
9  And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

1 John 2:15
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16  For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

James 4:4
Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Romans 8:13
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15  For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16  The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

2 Corinthians 6:16
And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
17  Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
18  And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Amos 5:4
For thus saith the LORD unto the house of Israel, Seek ye me, and ye shall live:

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #508 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 11:23pm

Yadda wrote on Jul 16th, 2015 at 11:20pm:
Setanta wrote on Jul 16th, 2015 at 9:38pm:

We do not know!

That's the first intelligent thing I think I've seen you write! Well done, I agree. But if what he proposes is true, it rules out your god.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #509 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 11:42pm

Yadda wrote on Jul 16th, 2015 at 11:20pm:

But many of us, do not seek [reality].

Many of us have been totally distracted by the 'pleasures' of this world.      [...this particular 'nature', of our circumstance, makes me believe that it was designed this way!    to be an intentional 'trap', for the.....]

Look around!

Many of us have 'gone native' here !!!

What will become of them ?

Matthew 3:10
And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Matthew 13:47
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
48  Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.

Luke 3:9
And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

John 15:6
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

That which is worthless, is thrown away, is discarded.

Isn't that exactly what men do, too ?

The wheat is gathered.

The tares are burned.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 ... 42
Send Topic Print