Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
American sniper movie controversy (Read 5539 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: American sniper movie controversy
Reply #30 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 8:30pm

AiA wrote on Jan 23rd, 2015 at 6:50pm:
The real American sniper that this movie is based on was a lying sack of s**t. He wasn't anything like he is portrayed in this movie.

Yeah, I hear that too. I usually judge things after a prolonged study of the person or thing. I have brief awareness of Kyle, and he seems like an obstinate, bigot. I bet he saw everyone as the enemy, because he would have been brainwashed in the army, etc. His PTSD would have impacted his marriage, and I think Eastwood would have given Kyle some leeway with how good a husband and father he would have actually been in life.

Kyle is said to have saved hundreds of his fellow soldiers' lives, and that can't be discounted or discredited. But I think some evenhanded awareness of Kyle, even a sympathetic one, should prevail.

Cooper did an excellent job in the role of Chris Kyle.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 8:35pm

It is pretty obvious to anyone with a clear mind.  Does anyone reckon 'Hollywood' is gonna spend millions to make a movie of a positive kind on any subject so easily discredited as one here suggests?

Rubbish, as usual.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 9:16pm

Top movie, and I have lost all respect for Michael Moore now. He is just doing the drama queen routine to try to stay in the spotlight.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 10:50pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 8:30pm:
AiA wrote on Jan 23rd, 2015 at 6:50pm:
The real American sniper that this movie is based on was a lying sack of s**t. He wasn't anything like he is portrayed in this movie.

Yeah, I hear that too. I usually judge things after a prolonged study of the person or thing. I have brief awareness of Kyle, and he seems like an obstinate, bigot. I bet he saw everyone as the enemy, because he would have been brainwashed in the army, etc. His PTSD would have impacted his marriage, and I think Eastwood would have given Kyle some leeway with how good a husband and father he would have actually been in life.

Kyle is said to have saved hundreds of his fellow soldiers' lives, and that can't be discounted or discredited. But I think some evenhanded awareness of Kyle, even a sympathetic one, should prevail.

Cooper did an excellent job in the role of Chris Kyle.

I would imagine the tasks he was set would require that to be part of his makeup... I would not think killing someone up close would be for good old Mr Softy...not over and over and over again....it takes a certain type of man I would think.....

maybe we see him differently because he was  on our side..

strong. brave. heroic. cold. mercenary Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #34 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 11:20pm

"Enemy at the gates" was a fantastic movie. Although I know that this will be very different, I think that I could get into this one also.

Seth and Moore movies really haven't moved me greatly, so it doesn't matter either way what they say.

If the movie grabs me enough, I'd probably research a few of the facts myself anyway without too much expectation on bonafide reality.
Those fatties at least know their "business" of getting in first to what people would largely do anyway.

Snipers, IMO, would be one of the first targets that you would want to eliminate in warfare. So to say that there is no bravery involved there, I would want to disagree. To keep such concentration whilst knowing that you are a prime target must take a certain amount of bravery along with plenty of skill.

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2015 at 11:29pm by Amadd »  

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Jan 24th, 2015 at 11:58pm

stryder wrote on Jan 24th, 2015 at 10:43am:
jesse ventura, oh yeah the former governor of minnesota, ex navy seal, former wrestler.

Why would Ventura's personal views impact this case? Or his acting skills?
« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2015 at 1:16am by AiA »  

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

stryder
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 7:52am

105 million in the US box office takings in its first weekend, Geez its mostly those superhero comic book movies, like the marvel ones that usually gennerate those kind of box office takings.

And its based on a REAL HERO, according to those, NOT THOSE FICTIONAL ONES.

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #37 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 1:20pm

yes the Yanks love their fictional heroes, Jessica Lynch, Pat tillman, chris Kyle

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #38 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 1:23pm

stryder wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 7:52am:
105 million in the US box office takings in its first weekend, Geez its mostly those superhero comic book movies, like the marvel ones that usually gennerate those kind of box office takings.

And its based on a REAL HERO, according to those, NOT THOSE FICTIONAL ONES.
You really must have a very sad empty life to buy into this American jingoistic sheeple rubbish. Personally, Id prefer to think for myself. Carry on.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #39 - Jan 25th, 2015 at 8:56pm

Shock as American war movie glorifies American wars.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #40 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 2:15am

... wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 8:56pm:

This movie doesn't just glorify an American war; it is a movie about a remorseless sniper who thought war was "fun" and wished he could go back and kill some more "towel heads." And because the film doesn't challenge people's perceptions of that war it has become a rallying point for the simple-minded.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

T

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 6:51am

"Enemy at the gates" brilliant movie one of my favourites. Haven't seen "American sniper" yet. All this controversy ramps up interest.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 8:03am

ian wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 1:20pm:
yes the Yanks love their fictional heroes, Jessica Lynch, Pat tillman, chris Kyle

everyone needs a HERO....

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #43 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 9:26am

AiA wrote on Jan 26th, 2015 at 2:15am:
... wrote on Jan 25th, 2015 at 8:56pm:

This movie doesn't just glorify an American war; it is a movie about a remorseless sniper who thought war was "fun" and wished he could go back and kill some more "towel heads." And because the film doesn't challenge people's perceptions of that war it has become a rallying point for the simple-minded.

I don't recall any hint of war being fun. The guy was driven, but not by getting his jollys. There was more than enough death and dismemberment to drive home the reality of the war.

It was a lopsided war. The death toll was much lower on the American side. Not zero. The movie reflects this.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #44 - Jan 26th, 2015 at 9:41am

I have not seen this movie yet, so I cannot judge it. But it sounds to me like Clint might be on to something. It’s still barely PC to show the Japanese and Germans as enemies, but not the Iraqi factions. I am not placing blame here. There was no justification for W Bush’s invasion, but it is a reality on which Hollywood has been dragging its heels.

Australian cinema has a post WW2 tradition of portraying soldiers angst and guilt ridden victims. Of course such cases exist but this percentage did not win two world wars. Gallipoli, Lighthorsemen, Kokoda etc, all dreadful revisionist views of warfare that are intended to spread a pacifist agenda. They are essentially remakes of All Quiet on the Western Front. 

Its a philosophy which decries the war hero, empathises with the enemy and contributes the creeping malaise in the West where we are slowly legislating away I ability to make war and win.

But to return to Clint's movie, if the only thing wrong with it is that it appears to be hostile to Muslims I would say there is some justification for that sentiment whether it was intended or not.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print