Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29
Send Topic Print
Why are people against gun ownership? (Read 51755 times)
nasus

3rd planet
Re: Why are people against gun ownership?
Reply #195 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 3:18pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 3:03pm:
ian wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 2:56pm:
I would say this thread is a very good example of why the average person should not own a firearm.  Just look at the posts from the gun owners. Why would we trust people who ignore factual information, cant control their emotions and let their ego rule their actions. Thats the last type of person we want with a gun in their hands., 

+1

What positively brilliant minds you 2 have, a collective IQ of possibly 3.

I agree with your posts, no guns for these people, however to be fair we will only allow them firearms, rifles and pistols, not one GUN between them, ever. Done and dusted.
Next topic.
As a post script, many police and military personal are "the average person", guess they get a poke stick? send our elite forces to Afghanistan and Iraq with water pistols, or are they to dangerous as well. What can our state and federal police have??? Knives, Na, to sharp, battons, Na, to long and partially pointy, handcuffs, Na, to restrictive. Let them eat cake.

"I may not believe in what you say, however I will defend unto death your right to say it". Attributed to Voltaire. Freedom of speech a right we must regain.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #196 - Jan 29th, 2015 at 3:21pm

nasus wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 3:18pm:
What positively brilliant minds you 2 have

Indeed.

We don't own guns.

IP Logged

rabbitoh08
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #197 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 1:31am

Noneofyourbusiness wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 1:10pm:
rabbitoh08 wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 12:45pm:
nasus wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 11:37am:
Next time think before posting, firearms can be used for good or evil, protection.

Yes - guns can be used for good.  That is why people like vets and wildlife rangers and some farmers are allowed to have them.

Having them lying around in suburban homes pretty much only results in evil though.

It's always nice to have brave people like you around to protect us from evil. I just don't think there is enough of you anti gun heroes to protect everyone.

What does that comment have to do with anything I said? If you want a conversation - try to be relevant.

Spouting silly gun-nut nonsense just makes you sound stupid.  Address the points raised - or piss off.

Im just wondering what sort of evil my gun committed all those years I had it lying around, I shudder at the thought of its nefarious actions when I wasn't looking.

Why do you own a gun?

Do you need to euthanise livestock?
Do you need to cull feral pigs?
Do you need to protect people from salties?

What possible reason do you have for owning a gun?

Be honest - is is just some Chuck Norris masturbatory thing , isn't  it.

If not - tell us.  How many lives has your gun saved?

Idiot.

IP Logged

rabbitoh08
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #198 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 1:39am

Baronvonrort wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 2:00pm:
What is pure nonsense is greens peddling the lie more guns equals more gun deaths.

Where is the lie?

More guns = more gun deaths.  It is simple.

Australia - 0.86 gun deaths per 100,000 population
USA - 10.3 gun deaths per 100,000 population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Let me guess - you are probably one of the idiots that also says that the planet isn't warming.

Enough said.

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #199 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 2:03am

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #200 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 9:23am

rabbitoh08 wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 1:39am:
Baronvonrort wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 2:00pm:
What is pure nonsense is greens peddling the lie more guns equals more gun deaths.

Where is the lie?

More guns = more gun deaths.  It is simple.

Australia - 0.86 gun deaths per 100,000 population
USA - 10.3 gun deaths per 100,000 population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

I don't doubt at one point the stats you used were really spectacular/important to your true feelings relating to this sensitive matter, the fact that I am a frequent visitor to the USA,  & being I lived there as recently as 2002, I can attest that today those figures alone are becoming irrelevant. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to belittle, or marginalize you.

I would simply like to present an alternative, merely a verifiable accounting, of something you might consider impossible, or startling, based on what you may have heard from like minded friends, or read in your favorite political publication(s), or seen on the TV channel(s) you prefer to watch.

Reality actually seems to be in contradiction to the stark negative firearm images many have portrayed on OzPolitic.

Violent Crime, & Gun Related Violence/Homicide actually (and verifiably) seem to be, for the most part, on the wane in America.

Shock/horror I know, but the sources of the linked studies that detail this, that even though all time record firearm sales & gun ownership have skyrocketed, related crime has for the most part decreased rather than increased per the sources of the linked studies that verify this.

These sources are considered legitimate, & trusted by both sides of the political spectrum, regardless of Gun Control agenda(s).

Here is the article, with links, for your perusal:

Disarming Realities:
As Gun Sales Soar, Gun Crimes Plummet

Quote:
SOURCE: FORBES MAGAZINE

A couple of new studies reveal the gun-control hypesters’ worst nightmare…more people are buying firearms, while firearm-related homicides and suicides are steadily diminishing.

What crackpots came up with these conclusions? One set of statistics was compiled by the U.S. Department of Justice. The other was reported by the Pew Research Center.

According to DOJ’s Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. gun-related homicides dropped 39 percent over the course of 18 years, from 18,253 during 1993, to 11,101 in 2011. During the same period, non-fatal firearm crimes decreased even more, a whopping 69 percent. The majority of those declines in both categories occurred during the first 10 years of that time frame. Firearm homicides declined from 1993 to 1999, rose through 2006, and then declined again through 2011. Non-fatal firearm violence declined from 1993 through 2004, then fluctuated in the mid-to-late 2000s.

And where did the bad people who did the shooting get most of their guns? Were those gun show “loopholes” responsible? Nope. According to surveys DOJ conducted of state prison inmates during 2004 (the most recent year of data available), only two percent who owned a gun at the time of their offense bought it at either a gun show or flea market. About 10 percent said they purchased their gun from a retail shop or pawnshop, 37 percent obtained it from family or friends, and another 40 percent obtained it from an illegal source.

While firearm violence accounted for about 70 percent of all homicides between 1993 and 2011, guns were used in less than 10 percent of all non-fatal violent crimes. Between 70 percent and 80 percent of those firearm homicides involved a handgun, and 90 percent of non-fatal firearm victimizations were committed with a handgun. Males, blacks, and persons aged 18-24 had the highest firearm homicide rates.........

The above was not provided in the hopes of dissuading anyone from their previous positions on this sensitive issue, but were provided to simply make everyone aware that sometimes we all can be enlightened with additional legitimate sourced information.   Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2015 at 9:45am by Panther »  

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

nasus

3rd planet
Reply #201 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 9:50am

rabbitoh08 wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 1:31am:
[quote author=Noneofyourbusiness link=1421662838/164#164 date=1422501016][quote author=rabbitoh08 link=1421662838/163#163 date=1422499529][quote author=nasus link=1421662838/156#156 date=1422495464]
Why do you own a gun?

Idiot.

IN RESPONSE TO your question: What possible reason do you have for owning a gun?

Firearms are owned for sport, the Olympic Games springs to mind, as does the Commonwealth games, all require various pistols, rifles or shotguns so the members can practice using the firearms. A great deal of practice is required at that Olympic level. There are also countless other world shooting events, with participation by virtually all countries, EVEN China.

"I may not believe in what you say, however I will defend unto death your right to say it". Attributed to Voltaire. Freedom of speech a right we must regain.

IP Logged

Noneofyourbusiness

Australian Politics

Reply #202 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 11:06am

Next time think before posting, firearms can be used for good or evil, protection.

Yes - guns can be used for good.  That is why people like vets and wildlife rangers and some farmers are allowed to have them.

Having them lying around in suburban homes pretty much only results in evil though.

It's always nice to have brave people like you around to protect us from evil. I just don't think there is enough of you anti gun heroes to protect everyone.

What does that comment have to do with anything I said? If you want a conversation - try to be relevant.

Spouting silly gun-nut nonsense just makes you sound stupid.  Address the points raised - or piss off.

Im just wondering what sort of evil my gun committed all those years I had it lying around, I shudder at the thought of its nefarious actions when I wasn't looking.

Why do you own a gun?

Idiot.

You do realise had means past tense as in no longer own.

What is with you anti- gun hysterics and your inability to read and comprehend basic english?

And when I had a gun I also had a property, and then I didn't then I didn't own one any-more

Now pull up your panties and calm down, the gun toting boogie man is a just figment or your feeble mind.  Grin Grin

You girls do tend to get all worked up over nothing.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #203 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 11:32am

nasus wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 9:50am:
[quote author=Noneofyourbusiness link=1421662838/164#164 date=1422501016][quote author=rabbitoh08 link=1421662838/163#163 date=1422499529][quote author=nasus link=1421662838/156#156 date=1422495464]
Why do you own a gun?

Idiot.

IN RESPONSE TO your question: What possible reason do you have for owning a gun?

Firearms are owned for sport, the Olympic Games springs to mind, as does the Commonwealth games, all require various pistols, rifles or shotguns so the members can practice using the firearms. A great deal of practice is required at that Olympic level. There are also countless other world shooting events, with participation by virtually all countries, EVEN China.

Speaking of which did you answer my question about your statement re Aussie Open shooting in NZ

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #204 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 11:35am

Be honest - it is just some Chuck Norris masturbatory thing , isn't  it.

IP Logged

Noneofyourbusiness

Australian Politics

Reply #205 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 11:46am

Dnarever wrote on Jan 29th, 2015 at 8:17am:
The death rate from firearms in Australia is 0.86% in Israel it is 1.87%

You have once again demonstrated that more guns = more gun related deaths.

It's not about idiots it's about idiots with guns and a lot of idiots want to own a gun.

Well that isn't true for Australia now is it?

Since 1996 we imported over 1000 000 new weapons into this country and in that time there was a coresponding halving of  gun related deaths.

So this moronic argument that more guns equals more death is plainly a lie, but a damn good one. There was a tightening of morons and the mentally deficient accessing weapons and it is that which made the difference.

And Im against any moron or mental deficient having access to weapons, some present company included. You know who you are, you hysterical little munchins. Smiley

A study has found Australians now own as many guns as they did at the time of the Port Arthur shootings in 1996.

More than 1 million guns were destroyed in the aftermath of the massacre, but research shows Australians have restocked over the past 10 years, importing more than 1 million firearms.

Despite that, the number of gun-related deaths has halved since the gun buyback.

The University of Sydney study's findings will be used by the gun control task force set up by United States vice-president Joe Biden in the wake of the Sandy Hook school massacre.

Public health researcher Philip Alpers, who will be presenting the study at a summit, told ABC News 24 the task force has asked to learn about the Australian experience.

"Remember there were several massacres in Australia - Port Arthur wasn't the only one - and during the period that people were thinking about those massacres a total of a million guns were surrendered," he said.

"What's happened since then is that gun imports spiked while people replaced them, and then crashed again for several years and they were way down at lower levels.

"But then gradually for the past 10 years they've been creeping up again and Australia has now replaced that million guns."

Not allowed to post the link form the ABC news web address

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #206 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 1:11pm

Why do you own a gun?

Idiot.

Target shooting (to demonstrate skill), hunting (for food or recreation), to cull feral pests(either on your own property, or someone else's ) or, ultimately, because it shouldn't be illegal, or restricted, for competent, non criminal adults?

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #207 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 1:19pm

yes, I think its over compensation for something or some sort of inferiority complex thing. I do notice that the gun owners like to huff and puff and pretend they are brave warriors while the rest of us who dont sleep with a gun under the mattress are all cowards.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #208 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 1:19pm

"Be honest - it is just some Chuck Norris masturbatory thing , isn't  it."

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #209 - Jan 30th, 2015 at 1:22pm

Noneofyourbusiness wrote on Jan 30th, 2015 at 11:46am:

Well that isn't true for Australia now is it?

Since 1996 we imported over 1000 000 new weapons into this country and in that time there was a coresponding halving of  gun related deaths.

complete rubbish.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29
Send Topic Print