Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 29
Send Topic Print
Why are people against gun ownership? (Read 51743 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Why are people against gun ownership?
Reply #15 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:11pm

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-19/american-gun-deaths-to-exceed-traffic-f...

Quote:
Shooting deaths in 2015 will probably rise to almost 33,000, and those related to autos will decline to about 32,000, based on the 10-year average trend.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm

Quote:
All firearm deaths

Number of deaths: 32,351
    Deaths per 100,000 population: 10.4

http://mic.com/articles/21330/there-are-32-000-gun-deaths-a-year-in-the-u-s-here...

Quote:
There Are 32,000+ Gun Deaths A Year in the U.S

http://usconservatives.about.com/od/capitalpunishment/a/Putting-Gun-Death-Statis...

Quote:
There are roughly 32,000 gun deaths per year in the United States. Of those, around 60% are suicides. About 3% are accidental deaths (between 700-800 deaths). About 34% of deaths (just over 11,000 in both 2010 and 2011) make up the remainder of gun deaths and are classified as homicides. Sometimes the 32,000 and 11,000 figures are used interchangeably by gun control advocates. Clearly, the 32,000 figure is a far more dramatic number and it is often used for impact by anti-gun activists. These numbers are also regularly compared to other countries' gun statistics. But is it a fair comparison? Here, we will examine some of the most common gun control arguments used and put those figures into perspective.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #16 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:21pm

Quote:
Why are people against gun ownership?

People find this hard to understand but their is a genuine correlation between people being shot and gun ownership.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #17 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:24pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:01pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jan 19th, 2015 at 9:45pm:
nasus wrote on Jan 19th, 2015 at 8:20pm:
Looking at the two post re gun laws in Australia I am trying to get my head around why there are a FEW anti gun owners on this continent. Why do they think firearms are evil, will reducing or eliminating gun ownership reduce crime, if so offer empirical evidence. Is there a correlation between the lack of firearms in society and violent crime, or the reverse?
If we make firearms illegal will all criminals promise to hand in all their weapons so not only the population at large are unarmed, but also them, a level playing ground. Or will only law abiding citizens become unarmed, and violent crime sky rocket?
What is it that scares people about firearms and not about crack or other drugs, does anyone actually think drugs on our streets is good. So why do drug dealers need firearms, they from all police reports seem to have a fine collect. Guess they will hand them into a police station if they are banned?
Does anyone actually own a firearm? Has any knowledge of firearms? What are they? Where are they kept?

This must be the 100th thread on this topic.

Same answer.
32,000 Americans die every year from fire arms.

That's 86 tragedies every day or 3.6  people on average per hour.

And actually Bobby, in 2010, it was a total of 30, 470 people died from firearms, 11,078 were homicides..and in 2012 it was only 8,855 firearm homicides...so I think your claim of '32,000 every year' might be a little bit exaggerated hmmm??
ok, try this as an answer Bobby..

Not sure that your chart helps your argument, are you saying that around 30,000 deaths are a good result because there are so many guns that it should be a lot more? You would think that a little sanity could save about 20,000 lives per year.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:26pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 19th, 2015 at 9:45pm:
... 32,000 Americans die every year from fire arms.

That's 86 tragedies every day or 3.6  people on average per hour. ...

And not counting Muslims, who everyone knows are proscribed from alcohol, 285.3 people die from alcohol-related illness each hour. What about car accidents?

In the USA, the risk of dying in a bicycle accident is 1 in 4,747 - by firearm is 1 in 300. http://www.medhelp.org/general-health/articles/The-25-Most-Common-Causes-of-Deat...

What's your point? I thought we were discussing Australia here.

Rather than beat that familiar drum, have you any statistics relevant to this country? Oh, BTW, make sure they discount the criminal interactions, won't you? Can't have them confusing the numbers of real figures, can we?

Roll Eyes

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:30pm

Dnarever wrote on Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:21pm:
Quote:

People find this hard to understand but their is a genuine correlation between people being shot and gun ownership.

Good point!

Now, let's have the figures of those shot by registered gun-owners by the use their own registered weapons, shall we?

Or is that too hard?

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #20 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:37pm

It doesn't matter why -

the fact is if you have lots of guns in the community lots of people get killed.

That doesn't count for all the people wounded & maimed.

Guns = disaster & tragedy.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:41pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:37pm:
It doesn't matter why -

the fact is if you have lots of guns in the community lots of people get killed.

Given the obvious solution to disaster & tragedy, why don't we disarm Governments?

Cool

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 5:48am

Lionel Edriess wrote on Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:41pm:
It doesn't matter why -

Given the obvious solution to disaster & tragedy, why don't we disarm Governments?

Cool

The police in New Zealand & England seldom carry guns.

I don't know if it would work here as too many crims have guns.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 6:51am

Lionel Edriess wrote on Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:30pm:
Dnarever wrote on Jan 19th, 2015 at 10:21pm:
Quote:

Good point!

Now, let's have the figures of those shot by registered gun-owners by the use their own registered weapons, shall we?

Or is that too hard?

Too irrelevant.

Gunshot wounds are gunshot wounds, no matter what gun they come from or who fires them.

IP Logged

nasus

3rd planet
Reply #24 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 7:51am

Bobby. wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 5:48am:
It doesn't matter why -

Cool

I don't know if it would work here as too many crims have guns.

Are you aware that in New Zealand a citizen can own multiple semi automatic firearms including hi power military firearms. They have very relaxed firearm laws, any manner of pistols and extended magazines and calibres. New Zealand also several years ago had several mass shootings, they enacted the same draconian gun laws we still have. HOWEVER after several years the New Zealand government realised that when they prohibited firearms only licenced shooters handed their into police, criminals kept theirs. They concluded, there was NO correlation between legal gun ownership and crime. They concluded that illegal firearms would always be in the hands of criminals as they were sourced off shore. Hence their firearm bans only restricted people in New Zealand who had a reason for owning registered firearms, for hunting or sport. I will try to upload the data from New Zealand that is published, showing that New Zealand and Australia both had mass shootings years ago and that the legal ownership of firearms had no bearing on that.
I will also try to upload the Data from England, you will not like the data, it shows clearly that England has a worse violent crime rate that America and worse than South Africa and Argentina, the figures are not pretty. ALL since they banned in most cases firearms to their citizens, only the CRIMINALS are armed. Go figure.

"I may not believe in what you say, however I will defend unto death your right to say it". Attributed to Voltaire. Freedom of speech a right we must regain.

IP Logged

nasus

3rd planet
Reply #25 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 8:02am

Try this, I did try to provide the link, it appears unless I have 100 posts I am unable to provide a live link: The figures are as published, no one disputes them. Poor British, at the mercy of criminals, violent crime going through the roof.

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. By James Slack
Updated: 09:14 AEST, 3 July 2009
Britain's violent crime record is worse than any other country in the European Union, it has been revealed. Official crime figures show the UK also has a worse rate for all types of violence than the U.S. and even South Africa - widely considered one of the world's most dangerous countries. The figures comes on the day new Home Secretary Alan Johnson makes his first major speech on crime, promising to be tough on loutish behavior. Britain has an even worse violence rate than South Africa. The Tories said Labor had presided over a decade of spiraling violence. In the decade following the party's election in 1997, the number of recorded violent attacks soared by 77 per cent to 1.158million - or more than two every minute.
The figures, compiled from reports released by the European Commission and United Nations, also show:
•      The UK has the second highest overall crime rate in the EU.
•      It has a higher homicide rate than most of our western European neighbours, including France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
•      The UK has the fifth highest robbery rate in the EU.
•      It has the fourth highest burglary rate and the highest absolute number of burglaries in the EU, with double the number of offences than recorded in Germany and France.
But it is the naming of Britain as the most violent country in the EU that is most shocking. The analysis is based on the number of crimes per 100,000 residents. In the UK, there are 2,034 offences per 100,000 people, way ahead of second-placed Austria with a rate of 1,677.

The U.S. has a violence rate of 466 crimes per 100,000 residents, Canada 935, Australia 92, and South Africa 1,609.
Shadow Home Secretary Chris Grayling said: 'This is a damning indictment of this government's comprehensive failure over more than a decade to tackle the deep rooted social problems in our society, and the knock on effect on crime and anti-social behaviour.

"I may not believe in what you say, however I will defend unto death your right to say it". Attributed to Voltaire. Freedom of speech a right we must regain.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 8:50am

Bobby. wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 5:48am:
It doesn't matter why -

Cool

This has actually worked out quite well. The UK and New Zealand fare rather well compared to other countries when it comes to violent crime. They have some of the lowest homicide rates in the world:

Gun deaths are lower in Europe and Oceania overall, too:

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/why-cops-in-britain-and-new-zealand-dont-carry...

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #27 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 8:55am

Nasus seems to be cherry picking

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

nasus

3rd planet
Reply #28 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 9:05am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 8:55am:

Totally wrong, I am very happy to post all the facts before you. It is just that I am not permitted to upload live links.
You have some other facts that perhaps you would like to provide? Just google New Zealand and their gun laws and you will find they are permitted to own all manner of firearms. This demonstrates quite clearly that draconian laws as we have do not deter criminals in their actions.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #29 - Jan 20th, 2015 at 9:14am

nasus wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 9:05am:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jan 20th, 2015 at 8:55am:

Totally wrong, I am very happy to post all the facts before you. It is just that I am not permitted to upload live links.
You have some other facts that perhaps you would like to provide? Just google New Zealand and their gun laws and you will find they are permitted to own all manner of firearms. This demonstrates quite clearly that draconian laws as we have do not deter criminals in their actions.

I did, they don't, they have some restrictions. And there was never a retraction of earlier laws, there was merely a commission which recommended stronger laws which hasn't been enacted on even though the two major parties both support stronger bill. It is also the case that while the laws are relatively liberal, the police andx government have stronger unofficial policies towards guns.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 29
Send Topic Print