Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Christmas Fare (Read 6415 times)
Black Orchid

Christmas Fare
Dec 14th, 2014 at 10:46am

When we were many we used to start off with hors d'oeuvres but our numbers have reduced and so has the effort.  We eat a late Christmas lunch so we will begin with basic snack food.

A variety of dips served with carrot/celery sticks, thin pretzels and crackers.  Probably Vita Weat Cheese and Chive as these are the most popular in our house.

Grapes.

Mixed nuts.

Christmas jubes/jellies.

Whatever else I think of in the meantime.

Late lunch will be turkey breast buffe, as no-one likes the brown meat.  I cook it on Christmas Eve.  I slit the skin over the breast and stuff it with a basic chicken stuffing.  None of us like traditional turkey stuffing ie forcemeat etc.

Cranberry and/or carrot and pineapple jelly on the side.

Tiger prawns.

Leg of ham.

Varying salads.  Probably coleslaw with a mayo and french dressing.

Potato salad with bacon, egg and ranch dressing.

Green salad.  Probably mixed greens with rocket, walnuts, feta, pear or strawberries and with a light balsamic dressing.

Fresh bread rolls.

Dessert will be pavlova.

Christmas trifle.

Fruit and cheese platter.

Assorted drinks.  Wine, cocktails, mixed drinks.

That's it.  I am stuffed already and I am getting less enthusiastic as the years go by.

What's going to be on your table this Christmas?

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Re: Christmas Fare
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 11:07am

Good on you. You must be exhausted already.

My extended family travel from all over the east coast to the Fraser Coast for a week over Christmas. We usually add up to around 20-25 people - more when my brother and his family are here from Norway. We have even more reason to celebrate this year because my uncle has just gone into remission from cancer.

Lunch is always a BBQ with everyone bringing a dish - salads, desserts etc. In addition to our steaks etc, this year my husband's going to make some sweets, a pate and we will make a big salad to take and meat for smoking.

On Boxing Day we'll be travelling to visit my mother-in-law and have a belated Xmas lunch with her. Last year it was a traditional sort of feast - a big ham etc.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 11:30am

That sounds very appealing Annie and I am glad to hear about your uncle, that is certainly cause for celebration. 

I have always like the idea of a BBQ Christmas lunch.  Your husband makes the pate?  I love pate although I have never made it.

We always have a lot of leftovers but it gets eaten.  One of my kids won't eat leftovers but the other will eat anything that isn't nailed down so it should save me cooking for a few days.  Selfish thoughts.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 1:29pm

I think I have Christmass depression, I would like to stay home by myself in preference to mixing with inlaws.
I will gladly forgo the food.

IP Logged

Marlys

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2014 at 3:39pm

Christmas Day has never been a day for me to slave over a hot stove since I travelled to visit my parents, each year, as was expected. Now that they are gone, I still observe Christmas by sending cards and so forth but everybody I know has family so I usually spend the day by myself ... except for some friends who drop in (or phone) before they go off to family Christmas lunches.

You do get used to the lack of hype.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 2:53pm

miketrees wrote on Dec 14th, 2014 at 1:29pm:
I think I have Christmass depression, I would like to stay home by myself in preference to mixing with inlaws.

Due to changing circumstances, I forgo the big extended family affairs now and it suits me just fine.

Just immediate family at home.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2014 at 2:55pm

Marlys wrote on Dec 14th, 2014 at 3:39pm:
Christmas Day has never been a day for me to slave over a hot stove since I travelled to visit my parents, each year, as was expected. Now that they are gone, I still observe Christmas by sending cards and so forth but everybody I know has family so I usually spend the day by myself ... except for some friends who drop in (or phone) before they go off to family Christmas lunches.

You do get used to the lack of hype.

I hear you but I hope your friends drop in to see you on Christmas Day   Smiley

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 8:51am

you can come to my place if you like miketrees.. lol.. I will be at daughters place and this year we are experimenting with cocktails..it will be all the usual food we too always buy the turkey buffe far less waste...a nice free range one..and a free range ham.. we all chip in  so not hard... its only one day after all.. my little grandies that still believe in Santa are in Copenhagen so we will toast them on SKype...and watch them open their goodies....its not quite the same but its better than nothing....

I wish you a good day mike...bugger the inlaws...I am one myself...and the son in law and I dont really get on....but for one day I dont let it bother me.. well try not too...thats what the cocktails are for... Wink Winklessons the pain..

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 3:06pm

I fell over today and hurt myself so now I have to wear a moon boot into the new year. Yes - a moon boot. We usually do a long hike up to the tea lake on our Christmas week away so that will be out for me this year as will surfing and maybe even swimming. So please keep those cocktail recipes coming because I have a feeling I'll be needing quite a few.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2014 at 6:42pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 3:06pm:
I fell over today and hurt myself so now I have to wear a moon boot into the new year. Yes - a moon boot. We usually do a long hike up to the tea lake on our Christmas week away so that will be out for me this year as will surfing and maybe even swimming. So please keep those cocktail recipes coming because I have a feeling I'll be needing quite a few.

sorry to hear that a bad time to happen as well as one doesnt really stop running this time of year...

have been on crutches and wheelchair...so know what its like... I wish you well..

I would think the surf salt water would help.. NO?...not standing on  the board though...we always put a twisted ankle in the salt water .. maybe that was just an excuse...

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 6:20am

Thanks for the well wishes, Cods. I appreciate it.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 12:46pm

Black O

when growing up, on my mums side, they all had big families, 5 Kids +

apart from one uncle who was in the Army, the other four families would all be there... so at least 10 adults and over 20 kids...

the food these women would bring was unbelievable.. all home cooked.. casseroles, sponge cakes, pavlovas, steamed puddings, trifle you name it..

roast legs of lambs and fresh killed, gutted and  plucked chickens .... put the chickens head on the block of wood and BANG>> down comes the axe...

if I saw that these days I don't think I'd eat the chicken anymore..  Grin

we are going to my Mums on xmas day.. I plan on taking the new Weber to cook up a Leg of Lamb and perhaps a chicken as well...

if I get time i'll have a crack at a pavlova and trifle.. I've never made these before but im sick of waiting for the women to do it...  Roll Eyes

Tongue

I picture a pavlova with that peppermint crisp shredded all over it.. or perhaps strawberries and cream with some of the strawberries blended into the cream.. oh boy..

im belly feels full already!!

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 1:40pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Dec 16th, 2014 at 3:06pm:

Sorry to hear that.  I ended up in a moon boot a week before last Christmas.

I wore it for about 2 hours and couldn't stand it anymore and the hospital refused to take it back.  I would't expect them to take the padding back but I thought they may take the plastic shell back.  What a waste.

Best of luck with it.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2014 at 1:47pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 17th, 2014 at 12:46pm:
we are going to my Mums on xmas day.. I plan on taking the new Weber to cook up a Leg of Lamb and perhaps a chicken as well...

if I get time i'll have a crack at a pavlova and trifle.. I've never made these before but im sick of waiting for the women to do it...  Roll Eyes

Tongue

I picture a pavlova with that peppermint crisp shredded all over it.. or perhaps strawberries and cream with some of the strawberries blended into the cream.. oh boy..

I am thinking about buying myself a Weber Bay Q for Christmas.  I had a large 4 burner bbq that I used a couple of times only but I got sick of its bulk and gave it away.

I make a pavlova at least once a week.   It's not a huge gourmet pavlova but it takes less than 5 minutes to whip up and only uses 4 egg whites.   Instead of doing a bigger one for Christmas I was thinking about making two and having a double layer.  I will post the recipe in 'recipes', it is SO easy.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 4:10pm

My Mother used to make a White Christmas slice each year. 

WHITE CHRISTMAS SLICE

Ingredients:

250g copha
    1 cup rice bubbles
    1 cup coconut
    1 cup powdered milk
    1 cup icing sugar
    1 cup mixed fruit
    1/2 cup glaced cherries

Method:

1. Line a small slice tin with baking paper.

2. Melt the copha in the microwave (usually takes about 3 minutes) until it is all liquid.

3. Combine all other ingredients in a large bowl until evenly mixed. Add copha and mix until all ingredients are moistened. Press into slice tin and refrigerate until set (about 1 hour). Cut into small squares to serve.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #15 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 4:17pm

Chocolate Rum Balls are always good too:

Chocolate rum balls

Ingredients:

1/4 cup (50g) chopped raisins
    1/4 cup (60ml) dark rum
    3/4 cup (65g) desiccated coconut
    2 cups (about 300g) chocolate cake crumbs
    1/4 cup (60ml) sweetened condensed milk
    Chocolate sprinkles, to coat

Method

Combine the raisins and 1 tablespoon of the rum in a small saucepan over low heat. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to macerate.

Place the raisin mixture, remaining rum, coconut, cake crumbs and condensed milk in a medium bowl and stir until well combined.

Line an oven tray with baking paper. Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls and place on the lined tray.

Place the chocolate sprinkles on a plate. Roll each rum ball in sprinkles to coat. Place in an airtight container and store in the fridge.

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

http://tinyurl.com/n
3o8m2x

Reply #16 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 6:34pm

I want Muso as GMod. Bring back Muso!
WWW Friends of the National Broadband Network  
IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Dec 19th, 2014 at 9:07pm

fruitcake is a hellish food fit only to look at never to eat

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #18 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 5:42am

St George of the Garden wrote on Dec 19th, 2014 at 6:34pm:

Wrong link, monkey man.  Tongue

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22960/chocolate+rum+balls

PS.  I don't have a scanner so can't scan the recipes out of my massive library of cook books, so easier to use Google.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 5:45am

AiA wrote on Dec 19th, 2014 at 9:07pm:
fruitcake is a hellish food fit only to look at never to eat

I hear ya....

I remember when nana used to bake coins into her xmas cake.... 1 cent, 2 cents and if you were real lucky... 5 cents  Cheesy

mind you... you had to dig it out from around all the fruity things and pretend to eat a bit... lol

these days... you wouldn't bend down to pick up a 5c coin...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #20 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 4:49pm

Personally, I don't like Christmas cake or Christmas pudding and don't make either.

Mum used to make both and I used to suffer a small portion of pudding just to get a double helping of her brandy sauce.

It was delicious and I am trying to think how I can add it to the table this year without any pudding to go with it.   Grin

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #21 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 5:17pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 20th, 2014 at 4:49pm:
Personally, I don't like Christmas cake or Christmas pudding and don't make either.

Mum used to make both and I used to suffer a small portion of pudding just to get a double helping of her brandy sauce.

It was delicious and I am trying to think how I can add it to the table this year without any pudding to go with it.   Grin

My Mother's specialty was Roast Pork, with all the trimmings and the excellent "crackling" to die for!

She made her Christmas cake/s in November and I doubt there was anything alcoholic in them.  Wonderful, moist and tasty right through to at least New Year and beyond.  Grin

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

3o8m2x

Reply #22 - Dec 20th, 2014 at 5:27pm

Neferti wrote on Dec 20th, 2014 at 5:42am:
St George of the Garden wrote on Dec 19th, 2014 at 6:34pm:

Wrong link, monkey man.  Tongue

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/22960/chocolate+rum+balls

PS.  I don't have a scanner so can't scan the recipes out of my massive library of cook books, so easier to use Google.  Roll Eyes

You saying I use a scanner, Naffy drear?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 11:42am

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 17th, 2014 at 1:47pm:
President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 17th, 2014 at 12:46pm:

Tongue

I am thinking about buying myself a Weber Bay Q for Christmas.  I had a large 4 burner bbq that I used a couple of times only but I got sick of its bulk and gave it away.

I make a pavlova at least once a week.   It's not a huge gourmet pavlova but it takes less than 5 minutes to whip up and only uses 4 egg whites.   Instead of doing a bigger one for Christmas I was thinking about making two and having a double layer.  I will post the recipe in 'recipes', it is SO easy.

I have the Gas Baby Q already along with two charcoal Webers..

I got the Baby Q with the higher lid so that I can put a roast in it if need be...

they do a great job.. however, the charcoal ones do it slightly better (but they are dirtier and takes longer to heat up)

but for a clean and quick heating operation.. the gas Baby Q is a rippa..  Smiley

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #24 - Dec 21st, 2014 at 5:40pm

Oooops typo.  I did, of course, mean Weber Baby Q and not Bay Q   Grin

I had a small charcoal bbq but never had much success with it so I tossed that out too.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Dec 23rd, 2014 at 9:36pm

pecan pie, a standard here in the American south. i find it too sweet

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 3:08am

another American South standard, sweet potato pie.  not bad, but I prefer Australian deserts.  There is an Australian Bakery here in Atlanta run by Aussies.  I think they actually have two locations in town.  In fact, they bake for the Australian Embassy in Washington, DC and fly the stuff over.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #27 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 1:16pm

I rather like pecan pie but don't indulge too frequently.

I have never had sweet potato pie though.  Is it good?

I have often thought about giving one a go.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 2:50pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 24th, 2014 at 1:16pm:
I rather like pecan pie but don't indulge too frequently.

I have never had sweet potato pie though.  Is it good?

I have often thought about giving one a go.

Funny, I have never eaten a pecan in Australia.  They are all mostly grown right here in this part of North America.  I understand the Chinese have an appetite for them and so are driving up the price.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #29 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 3:25pm

One of the best pecan pies I have ever had was made by a friend who had their own pecan tree.  Massive thing it was.  The tree that is.  The pie was pretty big too.

She pureed the filling and it was smooth and silky.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #30 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 3:27pm

My turkey is cooking and it smells gooooooood   Grin

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #31 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 3:34pm

Question for all you good cooks!

Could the child bride cook a roast pork tonight and warm it up tomorrow or would it not taste the same with crackling etc?

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Rosie

Reply #32 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 4:40pm

For the very first time for many years I am not cooking Christmas dinner.  Our son and DIL have the job this year and I am looking forward to relaxing for once.

Today I did have the 7 year old granddaughter help me make a trifle.

I have a turkey all ready to stuff and a nice piece of pork all ready to take next door in the morning.  Hopefully the next time I see them they will be cooked and on the table.

I remember Christmas dinner from when I was growing up in an English village.  We didn't have a farm but we had quite a few outbuildings at our place and my dad kept pigs.  Usually on the weekend before Christmas my dad and a couple of my uncles would slaughter one of the pigs in our backyard.  We kids weren't allowed out of bed until we heard the shot then we could get up and watch what went on.  We had what my mum called the scullery which was a room down a few stairs all made of stone and slate tiles so it was always cold.  Not one scrap of those pigs was wasted as my mum was a brilliant cook and knew how to make every thing from real Pork Pies (we lived just outside Melton Mowbray) to scratchins. 

So for Christmas dinner we had ham and pork from our own pig, a turkey from the local markets and all home grown vegetables which my mum grew in a corner of a neighbors field.  Followed by home made Christmas pudding with real silver threepenny pieces in it and brandy trifle.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 5:52pm

Rosie wrote on Dec 24th, 2014 at 4:40pm:
For the very first time for many years I am not cooking Christmas dinner.  Our son and DIL have the job this year and I am looking forward to relaxing for once.

Today I did have the 7 year old granddaughter help me make a trifle.

I have a turkey all ready to stuff and a nice piece of pork all ready to take next door in the morning.  Hopefully the next time I see them they will be cooked and on the table.

I remember Christmas dinner from when I was growing up in an English village.  We didn't have a farm but we had quite a few outbuildings at our place and my dad kept pigs.  Usually on the weekend before Christmas my dad and a couple of my uncles would slaughter one of the pigs in our backyard.  We kids weren't allowed out of bed until we heard the shot then we could get up and watch what went on.  We had what my mum called the scullery which was a room down a few stairs all made of stone and slate tiles so it was always cold.  Not one scrap of those pigs was wasted as my mum was a brilliant cook and knew how to make every thing from real Pork Pies (we lived just outside Melton Mowbray) to scratchins. 

So for Christmas dinner we had ham and pork from our own pig, a turkey from the local markets and all home grown vegetables which my mum grew in a corner of a neighbors field.  Followed by home made Christmas pudding with real silver threepenny pieces in it and brandy trifle.

wow..

what an incredible lookback of yesteryear.. I was nearly there..

I guess they were talking about that in here...

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1417761264

by the way... enjoy your relaxing day...

but im sure there'll be plenty on to keep you busy..

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Dec 24th, 2014 at 6:03pm

speaking of mums relaxing.. that's what im trying to do for my mum this year..

the last time we had xmas at mums a couple of year ago I get the feeling she did too much on the day..

I have rallied my family and asked them "what they are bringing" to xmas...

im taking my charcoal kettle to cook these

just been brushing on Mint and Rosemary  Smiley

and one of these... pre prepared Roast Chickens ready for the coals..  Smiley

the Mrs has made a Kahlua dipped chocolate ripple cake with shaved mint crisp and pieces of cherry ripe... oh boy..  Smiley

and I just have to finish off my pavlova tomorrow morning with cream, strawberries and blue berries...  Smiley

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Dec 25th, 2014 at 1:20am

I get so tired and feel like I just want to sleep in and forget xmas sometimes! Clean the house, and cook. No wonder I always look yukky in the xmas photos!
But.....it seems they like to come sit around the table and just enjoy whatever I cook.

We had a xmas feast last Wednesday as my son and his new gf will be over in Bali for xmas with her family.

We had roast turkey, roast potatoes and sweet potato, crumbed cauliflower, tossed salad, quiche, salmon (for the vegetatian daughter) and that yummy tiger loaf bread, with the crackly top.

Desert was cooked by the son's gf's father, he made the most delish sticky date pudding!

And I was spoilt, the son's gf bought me white roses and a bottle of Mumm Champagne!
Never had french champagne before, I think I am really going to like his new gf!  Grin

Now, tomorrow, there are only 5 of us, but still have to cook (again!).
I will do a roast marinated pork fillet. Of course the good ole humble spuds. Salads. Salmon (geez it's pricey! one sliced piece for one person is about $7 ea).
You know, I can't remember what else, the fridge is bursting at the seams with wine, beer, soft drinks, and the desert will be Heston Blumenthal's hidden orange christmas pudding with ice cream/whipped cream or custard.
Then I make cuppacino with the Caffitaly machine.
Then the rest of the day I am doing SFA!

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #36 - Dec 25th, 2014 at 1:58pm

Your labours will not go unappreciated and are their own reward.
There, does that make you feel better.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Dec 25th, 2014 at 11:31pm

bogarde73 wrote on Dec 25th, 2014 at 1:58pm:

Yes, that makes me feel better and you are correct, it is appreciated, and the joy it brings is the reward  Smiley but....I don't look better in them family pics by the xssy tree  Grin

Now in 2 days time, the daughter has her birthday (I planned that one well didn't I!) so I will make it all seafood and salads, as she doesn't eat meat.
I love seafood, we have a local fishmonger that sells seafood from Australian waters only.
Pricey, but gee, the compliments for that almost $50 per kg fish I batter,  are worth it.
Funny thing is, I won't spend $50 on a bottle of wine, but I will on fish!
Boxing Day tomorrow, and them specials, I have something I want for next Christmas, pretty pink santa hats with tiaras!  Smiley Cool

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

3o8m2x

Reply #38 - Dec 26th, 2014 at 5:53am

Hi Lols! Good to see you again!

Merry Christmass!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Dec 26th, 2014 at 7:48am

Sophia wrote on Dec 25th, 2014 at 11:31pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Dec 25th, 2014 at 1:58pm:

Yes, that makes me feel better and you are correct, it is appreciated, and the joy it brings is the reward  Smiley but....I don't look better in them family pics by the xssy tree  Grin

Now in 2 days time, the daughter has her birthday (I planned that one well didn't I!) so I will make it all seafood and salads, as she doesn't eat meat.
I love seafood, we have a local fishmonger that sells seafood from Australian waters only.
Pricey, but gee, the compliments for that almost $50 per kg fish I batter,  are worth it.
Funny thing is, I won't spend $50 on a bottle of wine, but I will on fish!
Boxing Day tomorrow, and them specials, I have something I want for next Christmas, pretty pink santa hats with tiaras!  Smiley Cool

wow $50 on fish... I am a mean old tart by the sound of things.. I see the price and keep walking....like you I would only ever buy Australian..and its way out of my league...but I can dream...battered flathead...ahh the memories...

IP Logged

St George of the Garden
Gold Member

3o8m2x

Reply #40 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 8:33am

Buy ocean leatherjackets, beautiful sweet fish and cheap as chips

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #41 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:16am

Redmond Neck wrote on Dec 24th, 2014 at 3:34pm:
Question for all you good cooks!

Could the child bride cook a roast pork tonight and warm it up tomorrow or would it not taste the same with crackling etc?

Better late than never but I think it would be dicey reheating the crackling as it would probably become chewy rather than crispy.   Reheating the meat should be ok.

If you found a way doing it well, please share   Smiley

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #42 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:17am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 24th, 2014 at 6:03pm:
the Mrs has made a Kahlua dipped chocolate ripple cake with shaved mint crisp and pieces of cherry ripe... oh boy..  Smiley

That sounds like a recipe to share   Grin

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #43 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:20am

Well, as usual, we had enough food to feed a small country but we had a lovely day though.

Christmas is a pretty exhausting time and I am glad it is over for another year. 

The only problem now is that next Christmas will be here again before we know it.  The years just keep getting shorter and shorter  Sad

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #44 - Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:26am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 21st, 2014 at 11:42am:

I got the Baby Q with the higher lid so that I can put a roast in it if need be...

they do a great job.. however, the charcoal ones do it slightly better (but they are dirtier and takes longer to heat up)

but for a clean and quick heating operation.. the gas Baby Q is a rippa..  Smiley

I got a Baby Q for Christmas.  You will have to give me a few tips   Smiley

IP Logged

HooYAY its FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 12:26pm

Pretty basic xmas lunch for just 4.

Rolled loin if pork with mashed spud, sweet potato wedges, broccoli, roasted beetroot fresh from the garden and an apple sauce, went down a treat, crackling was sensational.

To make the sauce I put 4 green apples, some onion, salt and pepper and 2 stubbies of apple cider in the roasting dish and cook the pork on a rack above it….mmmmmmm oh yeah was very nice.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #46 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 2:27pm

For Christmas lunch we ended up having the BBQ with 4 different salads, two competing potato bakes, some vietnamese (I think) rolls with a dipping sauce and (weirdly) some kind of meatball thing. There were also 2 desserts - a pav and some other biscuity thing.

Then we went to my mother-in-laws for a light (?) dinner which included turkey, pickled pork, cheeses, a cucumber salad, and some antipasto stuff.

I'm still full.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #47 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 9:34pm

I'm totally stuffed too.  Still finishing off the macarons my son hassled me into making though.

After Christmas I can happily just graze for a week but unfortunately the others still want FULL meals   Angry

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 3:48pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:26am:
President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 21st, 2014 at 11:42am:

I got a Baby Q for Christmas.  You will have to give me a few tips   Smiley

I took my BabyQ up to the Grampians with me this week... as I was out hiking and by myself its not worth using the charcoal one...

I just preheat it up to around 180* then bang the meat on after I put some rub on it... as long as the meat is around room temp (sit on bench for around 20 mins) 4 to 5 minutes a side and you're done... sausages that I use take a bit longer...

I have a steal plate thingo that goes inside if I want to cook up some bacon and eggs Smiley ... preheat to around 100* and away you go...

Lamb Leg, Beef or Chickens.. use indirect cooking method... use a skillet to put the meat on and under that lay down some tin foil with some slits in it a bit bigger than the meat so that it doesn't get direct heat... once again I use around 180* to 200*

always use a meat Temperature gauge so that you get it exactly right every time Smiley

I usually put cuts in my leg like X .... then smear with Sweet Chile Sauce, or a Mint Jelly...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #49 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 6:28pm

It's hard to get bits and pieces for the Weber Q at Barbecues Galore nowadays.   They are pushing the Ziegler and Brown.  Must get a better commission.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #50 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 6:29pm

Well here we are again ... almost.

Maybe we can all come up with something a bit different to adorn our tables?

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #51 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 8:03pm

A German stollen instead of the foul Christmas pudding?

Since “Swiss glory” closed its stores I have had to make my own stollen. Most commercial stollen are dreck.

I forgot this year to brew my Christmass Ale, a lovely spiced, dark ale that is meant to be a counterpart to the pud: dark, strong, spiced and hopped with American hops to echo the mixed citrus peel in the pud.

I made up a part mash pack (3Kg of pale, amber and brown malts) with a small pack of roasted malt to steep. That gives a beer with an alcohol content of 3%, not exactly strong! So I made up a pack of malt extracts, wheat and amber for a nice rich taste and cut with some dextrose (all dried malt extract makes for a gluggy beer) and advised to only top up the fermenter to 15L, this gave an ale of 7 or 8% abv.

Despite the price of the pack and the smaller amount of beer at the end of the process it was a very popular pack. I sold the packs in March–April so the alcohol could lose its heat and the spices mellow. I learned to make a couple smaller packs with less amount of spices for those who suddenly remembered in Sep that they wanted to brew Christmas ale  Grin

Suffolk Old Ale, mulled with a cinnamon stick and a couple of cloves, would make a different drink to put on the festive table.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2015 at 8:50pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 7:46am

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 20th, 2014 at 4:49pm:

I would go for it just in a glass (probably without so much "saucing"...)   Grin Grin

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 7:54am

Wow, all you foodies, I am almost a bit jealous.

Clearly, I am not much of a foodie.

I think our Christmas fare is mostly going to consist of stuff from our garden. Not that we grow veges, we just have no money for food (joke)...

The vege patch is chock full of salady things (some of my pro foodie talk right there). It's still up in the air if we are going to other family or they're coming to us. Fortunately most of us are nearby that we can almost decide a couple of days out.

If we go to my sister in laws place, then it will be a feast - her, her husband and the tribe of kids are ALL abject food lovers, preparers, cooks and experimenters... That's my favoured option - with perhaps a bit of our garden thrown in for good measure.

I hope how ever people chose to celebrate we are all happy, safe (well fed) and prosperous (what ever that might look like through your lense).

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #54 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 12:29pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Nov 27th, 2015 at 8:03pm:
A German stollen instead of the foul Christmas pudding?

I don't like dried or candied fruit so I don't eat either Christmas cake or Christmas pudding.  I am sure Stollen is very tasty for those who like the dried fruit fare though.  Hopefully it goes well with rich brandy sauce   Cool  I made my own brandy last year.

I caught the last half of Fast Ed's BH&G segment last night and he made a frozen pudding with raspberry (red) and pistachio (green) layers.  It looked very tasty.  I might try that this year.

Phemanderac wrote on Nov 28th, 2015 at 7:54am:
I hope how ever people chose to celebrate we are all happy, safe (well fed) and prosperous (what ever that might look like through your lense).

Thanks.  I wish the same to all.

A vegie garden chock full of salady things is perfect for a hot Christmas btw.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #55 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 3:07pm

Hope you will tell us how you made the brandy?

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #56 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 5:02pm

Didn't you own a home brew shop?

If so, you should know.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #57 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 5:48pm

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #58 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 4:21pm

Waldorf Salad for Cods

Apples (I didn't have Grannies so I used Fujis or Sundowners - can't remember which)
Celery
Red Onion
Walnuts/Pecans
Mayonnaise
Lemon juice

I just did it from memory and varied the ingredients to suit my own taste.

Chop up the apples put them in a bowl and add some lemon juice to them until you are ready with everything else.   Add finely chopped celery and finely chopped onion slices then as many nuts as you like.  I use Pecans.   Add a little bit of salt and pepper.

Bind with a bit of mayonnaise.

I tweak things as I go to suit myself. 

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #59 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 4:29pm

I have used this recipe a few times in place of traditional slaw.  It's very nice but I don't use the marshmallows.  I don't like the thought of marshmallows in it for some reason,

1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons honey
1 Tablespoon celery seed (I use finely chopped celery to taste)
4 cups shredded cabbage (I use Witlof/Chinese cabbage as it is easier to cut very finely)
1/2 sweet red onion, very thinly sliced vertically
2 cups minature marshmallows, optional
1 cup green seedless grapes, sliced in half
1 cup red seedless grapes, sliced in half
1 cup pineapple chunks, drained
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Mix it all up then dress with the sour cream, mayonnaise and honey.  Again I mix and match the dressing ingredients in whatever quantities that suit me.  I just taste it and tweak.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #60 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 7:19pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 6th, 2015 at 4:21pm:
Waldorf Salad for Cods

Apples (I didn't have Grannies so I used Fujis or Sundowners - can't remember which)
Celery
Red Onion
Walnuts/Pecans
Mayonnaise
Lemon juice

I just did it from memory and varied the ingredients to suit my own taste.

Chop up the apples put them in a bowl and add some lemon juice to them until you are ready with everything else.   Add finely chopped celery and finely chopped onion slices then as many nuts as you like.  I use Pecans.   Add a little bit of salt and pepper.

Bind with a bit of mayonnaise.

I tweak things as I go to suit myself. 

sounds about the same but will slice everything.. gotta use that mandolin...I can only use Heinz Mayo dont know why.. its a thing i have..

did you remember to roast the nuts.. I usually forget..

have you tried dried onion leaves soaked in Vinegar as a throw on  salad.at the last minute ... no good if you want to keep salad for the next day though.  it will pickle it...brown vinegar is the best I believe..livens it up... Wink Wink..

I am going with radishes as well...its all about the crunch...the slaw looks good but no honey for me...tell you what... sultanas would go ok as well..

marshmallows... what are they thinking?

IP Logged

BlueBeard

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 7:38pm

Black Orchid wrote on Nov 27th, 2015 at 6:29pm:
Well here we are again ... almost.

Maybe we can all come up with something a bit different to adorn our tables?

I will give it some thought. Smiley

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #62 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 5:18pm

All offerings/ideas greatfully accepted   Smiley

Cods, I have never roasted the nuts but I might try it next time.  I might also slice the apples next time too, for a change,  It probably looks better sliced.

I saw a really nice looking radish salad the other day but I can't remember where I saw it.  I think it might have been in this months Coles recipe magazine.

Haven't tried dried onion leaves.  Am a bit iffy about it as onion can be toxic if kept for later use.

IP Logged

BlueBeard

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:10pm

we usually make a Chocolate Ripple - big round donut looking one

but this year my daughter is volunteering to make "individual" ones in a small bowls

sounds good and that's one less thing I we have to do Smiley

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #64 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:27pm

That's what I'll be doing - staying at home by myself in an air-conditioned room.

Every day has been 'Christmas' to me since I retired from the bondage of the working life.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #65 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:29pm

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:31pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:27pm:
That's what I'll be doing - staying at home by myself in an air-conditioned room.

I envy you.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 10:29pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 8th, 2015 at 5:18pm:
All offerings/ideas greatfully accepted   Smiley

Cods, I have never roasted the nuts but I might try it next time.  I might also slice the apples next time too, for a change,  It probably looks better sliced.

I saw a really nice looking radish salad the other day but I can't remember where I saw it.  I think it might have been in this months Coles recipe magazine.

Haven't tried dried onion leaves.  Am a bit iffy about it as onion can be toxic if kept for later use.

yes slice the apple very thin with skin on...looks very posh...always roast the nuts.. only for about 5 min even for a cake.. as it brings the real flavour out...most of the food we buy is not fresh so the oil in the nuts has dried out.. I think you will prefer it..I always toss a few through a salad anyway... as I have said that crunch is nice...

the dried onion is only flakes, as in dried herbs.. I think its the fresh ones kept in the fridge that can go funny... n ot sure though...

rice salad is nice.. do you have a recipe for that.. the one I use has sultanas in it for the sweet part and curry powder.. it always goes well in a crowd..

IP Logged

BlueBeard

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 5:21pm

Every day has been 'Christmas' to me since I retired from the bondage of the working life.

we stopped going to the inlaws years ago,

the best thing we ever did

studies show that a lot of people drink just to get through xmas day - and that aint right

on xmas day do what makes you comfortable and happy - not subject yourself to a gruelling day with the biggest numbskulls on earth.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Dec 11th, 2015 at 4:57pm

BlueBeard wrote on Dec 10th, 2015 at 5:21pm:

we stopped going to the inlaws years ago,

the best thing we ever did

studies show that a lot of people drink just to get through xmas day - and that aint right

on xmas day do what makes you comfortable and happy - not subject yourself to a gruelling day with the biggest numbskulls on earth.

how do you stop going somewhere without causing more trouble???.....

life seems short really if you cannot let bygones be bygones on one day a year....

I do what I do to make my daughter happy..I have long put her husband in the too hard file because there is no way will he change  ... and I will be a long time dead and he can then be his normal SELF....

she says he makes her happy and thats all that matters to me....I have two smashing grandsons..so CHristmas Day we all put on a front..for them...

I think they are worth it..

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #70 - Dec 11th, 2015 at 5:47pm

This will be our first family Christmas without my grandfather, so it will be a bittersweet one for us, but made sweeter by my brother and his family visiting from Norway.

We will spend the week at Rainbow Beach, as we do every year, then shoot off to my mother in laws home for a couple of days. We need to be home for a birthday on the 29th and then we can relax for a few days before I return to work on the 4th.

I love Christmas.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #71 - Dec 12th, 2015 at 1:33pm

Sad time but an opportunity for good memories

As for Xmas fare, just put an Australian ham in front of me with a knife & fork.
Oh and a bottle of course.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #72 - Dec 12th, 2015 at 3:15pm

Christmas is for family and friends.  Getting together with those we love and may not see often enough during the year.

It doesn't matter if it is a small or large gathering.  Just catching up is enough    Smiley

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 7:52am

Annie Anthrax wrote on Dec 11th, 2015 at 5:47pm:
This will be our first family Christmas without my grandfather, so it will be a bittersweet one for us, but made sweeter by my brother and his family visiting from Norway.

We will spend the week at Rainbow Beach, as we do every year, then shoot off to my mother in laws home for a couple of days. We need to be home for a birthday on the 29th and then we can relax for a few days before I return to work on the 4th.

I love Christmas.

good on you....hell your family is in for a shock... a  real Aussie HOT Chrissy...no snow...

give grand dad a toast  he will be with you for sure..
he wouldn t miss it.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 7:54am

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 12th, 2015 at 3:15pm:
Christmas is for family and friends.  Getting together with those we love and may not see often enough during the year.

It doesn't matter if it is a small or large gathering.  Just catching up is enough    Smiley

sadly not everyone thinks like that...they avoid their family even then...some folks spend their whole life bearing a grudge...dunno what they get out of it..

more wrinkles I think.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #75 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 2:03pm

cods wrote on Dec 13th, 2015 at 7:54am:

sadly not everyone thinks like that...they avoid their family even then...some folks spend their whole life bearing a grudge...dunno what they get out of it..

more wrinkles I think.

I can understand people avoiding their extended families .  I have Christmas with my sons, friends and even the ex is invited but if I saw my sister around Christmas I would ram the Christmas tree ....................  you get the picture   Grin

IP Logged

BlueBeard

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 4:37pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 14th, 2015 at 2:03pm:

more wrinkles I think.

I can understand people avoiding their extended families .  I have Christmas with my sons, friends and even the ex is invited but if I saw my sister around Christmas I would ram the Christmas tree ....................  you get the picture   Grin

not sure how you can make judgement on people that you don't even know cods, but hey, good for you

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #77 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 7:00pm

Tis the season to be jolly   Smiley

GROAN I am so NOT into Christmas this year though.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Dec 14th, 2015 at 10:44pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 14th, 2015 at 2:03pm:

more wrinkles I think.

it must have been some crisis... and I am sad to hear that I never had a sister..but I do all I can to get my girls to see their sisters point of view when something causes trouble...I dont know if it works but they are still there for each other...when the chips are down....

you know I find it hard that people cannot put some thing that happened a long time ago.. to rest..

I know it sounds easy peasy and I know it isnt....but its bad enough when you lose someone to death and there is now going back....but to keep up something that keeps not just you and you and you sister but her children and your children apart...

I dont understand that I really dont...

you know what they say about forgiveness BO its divine....

just thinking Christmas is the time to do all that sometimes... Sad Sad Sad

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #79 - Dec 15th, 2015 at 10:33am

Cods, some people are just plain toxic and for your own well being (and that of those you love) you just have to cut them loose.

Christmas is a time to spend with those we love, if we can, and there is no golden rule that stipulates who we should or should not love.

There is no magic Christmas cure.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #80 - Dec 15th, 2015 at 5:03pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 15th, 2015 at 10:33am:
Cods, some people are just plain toxic and for your own well being (and that of those you love) you just have to cut them loose.

Christmas is a time to spend with those we love, if we can, and there is no golden rule that stipulates who we should or should not love.

There is no magic Christmas cure.

We will always love our family, even when we are angry, sometimes we are  disillusioned and dissapointed, we can just take some time out for how ever long we need to re group and think- cutting out family is so isolating and final.  The possibilty  they may die always exist's, and who want's to live with that kind of regret for the rest of your life.?

When someone appears toxic/angry, it just means we don't understand enough about that person. Communication.  Christmas is supposed to be a time for family and gathering's but the reality exist's, families do fued and it can go on for a long time. I get over arguement's quickly others stew on it for years- Christmas is not a magic cure , but you can wish them the best and say Happy Christmas.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2015 at 5:11pm by Agnes »  

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #81 - Dec 15th, 2015 at 6:57pm

If you are talking about 'our' children, I agree.  I would always support mine absolutely and would go to Hell and back for them.  Always.

As for siblings/friends etc.  There is no rule that says we have to 'love' them til the end of time.  If someone wrongs you again and again and again you would have to be silly to keep backing up for more.

If there is dead wood in your life that constantly clobbers you.  Cut it off.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #82 - Dec 15th, 2015 at 7:14pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 15th, 2015 at 6:57pm:
If you are talking about 'our' children, I agree.  I would always support mine absolutely and would go to Hell and back for them.  Always.

As for siblings/friends etc.  There is no rule that says we have to 'love' them til the end of time.  If someone wrongs you again and again and again you would have to be silly to keep backing up for more.

If there is dead wood in your life that constantly clobbers you.  Cut it off.

Good in theory, I am currently in a state of flux with 1 of my sisters, never did I ever think this would or could ever happen to me/us. Yes there was initial anger of course and yes I said I would never speak to her ever again. I saw a picture of her the other day and I was overwhelmed with emotion, this sister whom I thought I had such grievance with after years of being very close. I do love her and nothing will change that, and I regret every day we do not talk- if there was a way back I would take it, because life is too short. I would never cut anyone out. I just don't have the heart.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2015 at 7:51pm by Agnes »  

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #83 - Dec 15th, 2015 at 7:37pm

I don't hate my sister, I don't believe in hate it's too negative an emotion, but she is the bane of my life.

If you have feelings for yours I hope you can work things out with her.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #84 - Dec 15th, 2015 at 7:49pm

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2015 at 12:54am by Agnes »  

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #85 - Dec 18th, 2015 at 5:23pm

BlueBeard wrote on Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:10pm:

but this year my daughter is volunteering to make "individual" ones in a small bowls

I love a Chocolate Ripple cake and make them occasionally.  Not sure how to do individual ones that still look good though as the biscuits are biggish.  Perhaps you can share?   Smiley

I might have to experiment with this later on.

IP Logged

BlueBeard

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 11:34am

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 18th, 2015 at 5:23pm:
BlueBeard wrote on Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:10pm:

I love a Chocolate Ripple cake and make them occasionally.  Not sure how to do individual ones that still look good though as the biscuits are biggish.  Perhaps you can share?   Smiley

I might have to experiment with this later on.

shouldn't be too hard - just a few biscuits in a small bowl with cream.. i'll take a pic if I remember

I'm thinking of doing most of the cooking in one hit as the family wont be around till late xmas day then on boxing day go down to mums - so if I do 2 chickens and 2 lambs on the webber on xmas day we can have cold sliced meat for meals - or something like that

IP Logged

BlueBeard

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Dec 21st, 2015 at 11:40am

xmas at the inlaws

when it becomes about 2 people
when it becomes about money and who can out do each other
when it becomes about a few people bullying the rest or making them feel like outcasts every xmas
when it comes about trying to control people and what they should think

then bugger it

later losers...  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2015 at 11:49am by BlueBeard »  

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #88 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 4:46pm

I agree   Smiley

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #89 - Dec 22nd, 2015 at 4:51pm

Well I made this today.  A frozen dessert for a hot Christmas Day.  If it looks ok after I upend it I will take pics ...  if I remember.

Ed obviously used food colouring in his green and red layers.  I don't like food colouring so mine is probably more anaemic than his.  Hopefully it will taste just as good though.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #90 - Dec 23rd, 2015 at 3:17pm

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #91 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 4:43pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 23rd, 2015 at 3:17pm:

great... I'm giving that one a go on my Pavs

Thanks Smiley

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #92 - Dec 24th, 2015 at 6:59pm

Cute aren't they?   Smiley

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 10:16am

disaster has struck early on xmas day  Sad

the mrs went to get the cream cheese out for our cheese cakes but we can not find them

the checkout chick must have had them in another bag that got left on the hooks  Sad

these pavs had better work out.. just as well we have the BreezeAir cooler as its as hot as buggery today

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #94 - Dec 25th, 2015 at 7:01pm

ok
I recovered a bit with this pav Smiley

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #95 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 5:54pm

That looks awesome.  I love the little santas.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #96 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 9:18am

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 26th, 2015 at 5:54pm:
That looks awesome.  I love the little santas.

everyone does !!

they've been talked about for two days now at different Dinners.. from the granddaughter to the wicked sisterinlaws..  Grin

thanks for the Tip on the santa's BO.. it added a fresh look to the same old same old pavs Smiley

now.. for next year..  Undecided

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #97 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 12:10pm

Well, it's almost that time again!

Here's some easy little Rice Bubble Christmas trees  ...

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #98 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:52pm

A twist on the traditional pavlova for Christmas

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #99 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 1:44pm

Resurrecting this in case someone has something new to add?

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #100 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 1:45pm

I keep finding that the YouTubes go gray after a period of time and it is then impossible to re-see them   GGGRRRRR

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #101 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 1:50pm

I think this is one of the missing videos   ...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print