Christmas Fare (Read 6412 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Christmas Fare
Reply #60 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 7:19pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 6th, 2015 at 4:21pm:
Waldorf Salad for Cods

Apples (I didn't have Grannies so I used Fujis or Sundowners - can't remember which)
Celery
Red Onion
Walnuts/Pecans
Mayonnaise
Lemon juice

I just did it from memory and varied the ingredients to suit my own taste.

Chop up the apples put them in a bowl and add some lemon juice to them until you are ready with everything else.   Add finely chopped celery and finely chopped onion slices then as many nuts as you like.  I use Pecans.   Add a little bit of salt and pepper.

Bind with a bit of mayonnaise.

I tweak things as I go to suit myself. 

sounds about the same but will slice everything.. gotta use that mandolin...I can only use Heinz Mayo dont know why.. its a thing i have..

did you remember to roast the nuts.. I usually forget..

have you tried dried onion leaves soaked in Vinegar as a throw on  salad.at the last minute ... no good if you want to keep salad for the next day though.  it will pickle it...brown vinegar is the best I believe..livens it up... Wink Wink..

I am going with radishes as well...its all about the crunch...the slaw looks good but no honey for me...tell you what... sultanas would go ok as well..

marshmallows... what are they thinking?

IP Logged

BlueBeard

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 7:38pm

Black Orchid wrote on Nov 27th, 2015 at 6:29pm:
Well here we are again ... almost.

Maybe we can all come up with something a bit different to adorn our tables?

I will give it some thought. Smiley

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #62 - Dec 8th, 2015 at 5:18pm

All offerings/ideas greatfully accepted   Smiley

Cods, I have never roasted the nuts but I might try it next time.  I might also slice the apples next time too, for a change,  It probably looks better sliced.

I saw a really nice looking radish salad the other day but I can't remember where I saw it.  I think it might have been in this months Coles recipe magazine.

Haven't tried dried onion leaves.  Am a bit iffy about it as onion can be toxic if kept for later use.

IP Logged

BlueBeard

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:10pm

we usually make a Chocolate Ripple - big round donut looking one

but this year my daughter is volunteering to make "individual" ones in a small bowls

sounds good and that's one less thing I we have to do Smiley

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #64 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:27pm

miketrees wrote on Dec 14th, 2014 at 1:29pm:
I think I have Christmass depression, I would like to stay home by myself in preference to mixing with inlaws.
I will gladly forgo the food.

That's what I'll be doing - staying at home by myself in an air-conditioned room.

Every day has been 'Christmas' to me since I retired from the bondage of the working life.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #65 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:29pm

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #66 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:31pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 9th, 2015 at 8:27pm:
That's what I'll be doing - staying at home by myself in an air-conditioned room.

I envy you.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Dec 9th, 2015 at 10:29pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 8th, 2015 at 5:18pm:
All offerings/ideas greatfully accepted   Smiley

Cods, I have never roasted the nuts but I might try it next time.  I might also slice the apples next time too, for a change,  It probably looks better sliced.

I saw a really nice looking radish salad the other day but I can't remember where I saw it.  I think it might have been in this months Coles recipe magazine.

Haven't tried dried onion leaves.  Am a bit iffy about it as onion can be toxic if kept for later use.

yes slice the apple very thin with skin on...looks very posh...always roast the nuts.. only for about 5 min even for a cake.. as it brings the real flavour out...most of the food we buy is not fresh so the oil in the nuts has dried out.. I think you will prefer it..I always toss a few through a salad anyway... as I have said that crunch is nice...

the dried onion is only flakes, as in dried herbs.. I think its the fresh ones kept in the fridge that can go funny... n ot sure though...

rice salad is nice.. do you have a recipe for that.. the one I use has sultanas in it for the sweet part and curry powder.. it always goes well in a crowd..

IP Logged

BlueBeard

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Dec 10th, 2015 at 5:21pm

I think I have Christmass depression, I would like to stay home by myself in preference to mixing with inlaws.

Every day has been 'Christmas' to me since I retired from the bondage of the working life.

we stopped going to the inlaws years ago,

the best thing we ever did

studies show that a lot of people drink just to get through xmas day - and that aint right

on xmas day do what makes you comfortable and happy - not subject yourself to a gruelling day with the biggest numbskulls on earth.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Dec 11th, 2015 at 4:57pm

BlueBeard wrote on Dec 10th, 2015 at 5:21pm:

we stopped going to the inlaws years ago,

the best thing we ever did

studies show that a lot of people drink just to get through xmas day - and that aint right

on xmas day do what makes you comfortable and happy - not subject yourself to a gruelling day with the biggest numbskulls on earth.

how do you stop going somewhere without causing more trouble???.....

life seems short really if you cannot let bygones be bygones on one day a year....

I do what I do to make my daughter happy..I have long put her husband in the too hard file because there is no way will he change  ... and I will be a long time dead and he can then be his normal SELF....

she says he makes her happy and thats all that matters to me....I have two smashing grandsons..so CHristmas Day we all put on a front..for them...

I think they are worth it..

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #70 - Dec 11th, 2015 at 5:47pm

This will be our first family Christmas without my grandfather, so it will be a bittersweet one for us, but made sweeter by my brother and his family visiting from Norway.

We will spend the week at Rainbow Beach, as we do every year, then shoot off to my mother in laws home for a couple of days. We need to be home for a birthday on the 29th and then we can relax for a few days before I return to work on the 4th.

I love Christmas.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #71 - Dec 12th, 2015 at 1:33pm

Sad time but an opportunity for good memories

As for Xmas fare, just put an Australian ham in front of me with a knife & fork.
Oh and a bottle of course.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #72 - Dec 12th, 2015 at 3:15pm

Christmas is for family and friends.  Getting together with those we love and may not see often enough during the year.

It doesn't matter if it is a small or large gathering.  Just catching up is enough    Smiley

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 7:52am

Annie Anthrax wrote on Dec 11th, 2015 at 5:47pm:
This will be our first family Christmas without my grandfather, so it will be a bittersweet one for us, but made sweeter by my brother and his family visiting from Norway.

We will spend the week at Rainbow Beach, as we do every year, then shoot off to my mother in laws home for a couple of days. We need to be home for a birthday on the 29th and then we can relax for a few days before I return to work on the 4th.

I love Christmas.

good on you....hell your family is in for a shock... a  real Aussie HOT Chrissy...no snow...

give grand dad a toast  he will be with you for sure..
he wouldn t miss it.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Dec 13th, 2015 at 7:54am

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 12th, 2015 at 3:15pm:
Christmas is for family and friends.  Getting together with those we love and may not see often enough during the year.

It doesn't matter if it is a small or large gathering.  Just catching up is enough    Smiley

sadly not everyone thinks like that...they avoid their family even then...some folks spend their whole life bearing a grudge...dunno what they get out of it..

more wrinkles I think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print