Send Topic Print
Christmas Fare (Read 6413 times)
HooYAY its FriYAY
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Christmas Fare
Reply #45 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 12:26pm

Pretty basic xmas lunch for just 4.

Rolled loin if pork with mashed spud, sweet potato wedges, broccoli, roasted beetroot fresh from the garden and an apple sauce, went down a treat, crackling was sensational.

To make the sauce I put 4 green apples, some onion, salt and pepper and 2 stubbies of apple cider in the roasting dish and cook the pork on a rack above it….mmmmmmm oh yeah was very nice.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #46 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 2:27pm

For Christmas lunch we ended up having the BBQ with 4 different salads, two competing potato bakes, some vietnamese (I think) rolls with a dipping sauce and (weirdly) some kind of meatball thing. There were also 2 desserts - a pav and some other biscuity thing.

Then we went to my mother-in-laws for a light (?) dinner which included turkey, pickled pork, cheeses, a cucumber salad, and some antipasto stuff.

I'm still full.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #47 - Dec 29th, 2014 at 9:34pm

I'm totally stuffed too.  Still finishing off the macarons my son hassled me into making though.

After Christmas I can happily just graze for a week but unfortunately the others still want FULL meals   Angry

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Jan 16th, 2015 at 3:48pm

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 27th, 2014 at 9:26am:
President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 21st, 2014 at 11:42am:
I have the Gas Baby Q already along with two charcoal Webers..

I got the Baby Q with the higher lid so that I can put a roast in it if need be...

they do a great job.. however, the charcoal ones do it slightly better (but they are dirtier and takes longer to heat up)

but for a clean and quick heating operation.. the gas Baby Q is a rippa..  Smiley

I got a Baby Q for Christmas.  You will have to give me a few tips   Smiley

I took my BabyQ up to the Grampians with me this week... as I was out hiking and by myself its not worth using the charcoal one...

I just preheat it up to around 180* then bang the meat on after I put some rub on it... as long as the meat is around room temp (sit on bench for around 20 mins) 4 to 5 minutes a side and you're done... sausages that I use take a bit longer...

I have a steal plate thingo that goes inside if I want to cook up some bacon and eggs Smiley ... preheat to around 100* and away you go...

Lamb Leg, Beef or Chickens.. use indirect cooking method... use a skillet to put the meat on and under that lay down some tin foil with some slits in it a bit bigger than the meat so that it doesn't get direct heat... once again I use around 180* to 200*

always use a meat Temperature gauge so that you get it exactly right every time Smiley

I usually put cuts in my leg like X .... then smear with Sweet Chile Sauce, or a Mint Jelly...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #49 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 6:28pm

It's hard to get bits and pieces for the Weber Q at Barbecues Galore nowadays.   They are pushing the Ziegler and Brown.  Must get a better commission.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #50 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 6:29pm

Well here we are again ... almost.

Maybe we can all come up with something a bit different to adorn our tables?

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #51 - Nov 27th, 2015 at 8:03pm

A German stollen instead of the foul Christmas pudding?

Since “Swiss glory” closed its stores I have had to make my own stollen. Most commercial stollen are dreck.

I forgot this year to brew my Christmass Ale, a lovely spiced, dark ale that is meant to be a counterpart to the pud: dark, strong, spiced and hopped with American hops to echo the mixed citrus peel in the pud.

I made up a part mash pack (3Kg of pale, amber and brown malts) with a small pack of roasted malt to steep. That gives a beer with an alcohol content of 3%, not exactly strong! So I made up a pack of malt extracts, wheat and amber for a nice rich taste and cut with some dextrose (all dried malt extract makes for a gluggy beer) and advised to only top up the fermenter to 15L, this gave an ale of 7 or 8% abv.

Despite the price of the pack and the smaller amount of beer at the end of the process it was a very popular pack. I sold the packs in March–April so the alcohol could lose its heat and the spices mellow. I learned to make a couple smaller packs with less amount of spices for those who suddenly remembered in Sep that they wanted to brew Christmas ale  Grin

Suffolk Old Ale, mulled with a cinnamon stick and a couple of cloves, would make a different drink to put on the festive table.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2015 at 8:50pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 7:46am

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 20th, 2014 at 4:49pm:
It was delicious and I am trying to think how I can add it to the table this year without any pudding to go with it.   Grin

I would go for it just in a glass (probably without so much "saucing"...)   Grin Grin

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 7:54am

Wow, all you foodies, I am almost a bit jealous.

Clearly, I am not much of a foodie.

I think our Christmas fare is mostly going to consist of stuff from our garden. Not that we grow veges, we just have no money for food (joke)...

The vege patch is chock full of salady things (some of my pro foodie talk right there). It's still up in the air if we are going to other family or they're coming to us. Fortunately most of us are nearby that we can almost decide a couple of days out.

If we go to my sister in laws place, then it will be a feast - her, her husband and the tribe of kids are ALL abject food lovers, preparers, cooks and experimenters... That's my favoured option - with perhaps a bit of our garden thrown in for good measure.

I hope how ever people chose to celebrate we are all happy, safe (well fed) and prosperous (what ever that might look like through your lense).

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #54 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 12:29pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Nov 27th, 2015 at 8:03pm:
A German stollen instead of the foul Christmas pudding?

I don't like dried or candied fruit so I don't eat either Christmas cake or Christmas pudding.  I am sure Stollen is very tasty for those who like the dried fruit fare though.  Hopefully it goes well with rich brandy sauce   Cool  I made my own brandy last year.

I caught the last half of Fast Ed's BH&G segment last night and he made a frozen pudding with raspberry (red) and pistachio (green) layers.  It looked very tasty.  I might try that this year.

Phemanderac wrote on Nov 28th, 2015 at 7:54am:
I hope how ever people chose to celebrate we are all happy, safe (well fed) and prosperous (what ever that might look like through your lense).

Thanks.  I wish the same to all.

A vegie garden chock full of salady things is perfect for a hot Christmas btw.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #55 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 3:07pm

Hope you will tell us how you made the brandy?

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #56 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 5:02pm

Didn't you own a home brew shop?

If so, you should know.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #57 - Nov 28th, 2015 at 5:48pm

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #58 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 4:21pm

Waldorf Salad for Cods

Apples (I didn't have Grannies so I used Fujis or Sundowners - can't remember which)
Celery
Red Onion
Walnuts/Pecans
Mayonnaise
Lemon juice

I just did it from memory and varied the ingredients to suit my own taste.

Chop up the apples put them in a bowl and add some lemon juice to them until you are ready with everything else.   Add finely chopped celery and finely chopped onion slices then as many nuts as you like.  I use Pecans.   Add a little bit of salt and pepper.

Bind with a bit of mayonnaise.

I tweak things as I go to suit myself. 

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #59 - Dec 6th, 2015 at 4:29pm

I have used this recipe a few times in place of traditional slaw.  It's very nice but I don't use the marshmallows.  I don't like the thought of marshmallows in it for some reason,

1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons honey
1 Tablespoon celery seed (I use finely chopped celery to taste)
4 cups shredded cabbage (I use Witlof/Chinese cabbage as it is easier to cut very finely)
1/2 sweet red onion, very thinly sliced vertically
2 cups minature marshmallows, optional
1 cup green seedless grapes, sliced in half
1 cup red seedless grapes, sliced in half
1 cup pineapple chunks, drained
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Mix it all up then dress with the sour cream, mayonnaise and honey.  Again I mix and match the dressing ingredients in whatever quantities that suit me.  I just taste it and tweak.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print