Send Topic Print
Cats.. (Read 4424 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Cats..
Dec 3rd, 2014 at 6:47am

I was just going to add that PussCat's relationship with me has reached new level - I came home yesterday and dinner was right there on the floor inside the door... a dead dove.

No.. Puss.. NO!!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Cats..
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 6:37pm

Yer darn right it's reached a new level.

Congratulations!

Was the cat nearby and possibly observing your reaction?

Your cat has just demonstrated how much it appreciates you by sharing its catch (food) with you. This indicates that it considers you as a surrogate 'family' member. It may even realise that you could not have caught that dove on your own, so it is also an example of its hunting skills.

If it had not wanted to 'share', you would have never seen that dove - it would have been consumed somewhere quiet and away from any chance of interruption.

Chances are that your cat is probably female and possibly spayed. This is not unusual behaviour for such animals.

Rather than simply disposing of such 'gifts', perhaps a better course of action would be to locate your cat, give it some attention while 'accepting' the 'gift', and putting both of them outside. This would possibly have two benefits - it shows your appreciation of the 'gift', while returning the prey to the hunter so that it can be consumed in a more appropriate environment. If it happens again, continue to reinforce the training. With a little luck, such 'gifts' will not appear on your pillows.

Again, congratulations! In the cat's estimation, you have moved from 'servant' to 'family' - a big step.

Enjoy.

Cool

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2014 at 7:13am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 3rd, 2014 at 6:47am:
I was just going to add that PussCat's relationship with me has reached new level - I came home yesterday and dinner was right there on the floor inside the door... a dead dove.

No.. Puss.. NO!!

I get rats....even half eaten rats.....my ginger cat is a real hunter.. if it moves she gets it and quite often brings it home....its gross I can tell you..in one instance the rat was so big and lying at my front door...I had to get my daughter to come over and remove it....even my grandson wouldnt go near it...

I have words with her.[ginger] about her habits.. but she just preens....and thinks its praise...

what to do?????

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 11:06am

For years any cats on the books here have been outside cats. Too difficult managing multiple cats IN the house, as well as multiple dogs outside.

But they have been fed and then shut up in a shed at night, for their safety (including baited rats) and the safety of wildlife.

Only one left now and last night, for the first time ever, I forgot both to feed him and shut him up.
Well, the absolute confusion this morning when I went to let him out. You'd think it was the end of the world.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

T

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2015 at 2:33pm

Not a cat person myself, prefer dogs, but the wife loves em, and 'we' have 2. I genuinely worry she might get Toxoplasmosis, cleaning the litter tray daily, one must be overly cautious. I don't want to be married to a mad cat collector.

IP Logged

The Mole
Gold Member

http://www.ozpolitic
.co/album/forum-atta
chments/y

Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2015 at 9:46pm

I love cats..they are beautiful. I am thinking of getting another one. Yes they love to leave little gifts of things they have caught- I find it very sweet, but then I guess it depends on what they bring you..a snake might not be so cute.

My girl catches a mouse and sits at the step meowing until I come take a look. Smiley

"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave"

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 9:36am

We got a cat yesterday. He was a dumped Christmas gift, we think. His name is Oscar and he's a ginger and probably around 5 months old.

We're keeping him inside for a few days so he gets used to us. He slept with my husband and I. We were woken by a playful cat sitting on our heads and biting our toes in the middle of the night. He took almost an hour to settle again, even though I threatened him with the sausage factory.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 11:30am

Annie Anthrax wrote on Mar 15th, 2015 at 9:36am:
We got a cat yesterday. He was a dumped Christmas gift, we think. His name is Oscar and he's a ginger and probably around 5 months old.

We're keeping him inside for a few days so he gets used to us. He slept with my husband and I. We were woken by a playful cat sitting on our heads and biting our toes in the middle of the night. He took almost an hour to settle again, even though I threatened him with the sausage factory.

They are mostly called Lions or Tigers if they are big enough to sit on your head and bite your toes. I would recommend a quick count of said toes.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 12:31pm

lol.

It wasn't at the same time. He alternated.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 1:09pm

This Time-Lapse Proves That Cats Are Solar-Powered

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2015 at 1:50pm

That was great. Mine seems more interested in my relatively dark ensuite than any sun. It's warm though, so perhaps the tiles there are the coolest spot he can find.

I thought I disliked cats until this one. He's so silly and cuddly and strange.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 7:38am

Annie Anthrax wrote on Mar 15th, 2015 at 1:50pm:
That was great. Mine seems more interested in my relatively dark ensuite than any sun. It's warm though, so perhaps the tiles there are the coolest spot he can find.

I thought I disliked cats until this one. He's so silly and cuddly and strange.

It won't be long before you become his slave. Cats can read your mind and instead of making your life easier when you need it most - they find ways to stress you out further. The first thing he'll do is demand you change his food and you'll find yourself wasting time at the supermarket trying to select a variety of different foods hoping that one will appeal to him. He'll either decide on chicken or fish for a wet food and then comes the biscuits. The smaller, more expensive packets he will love and the large cheaper ones - he'll reject.

He'll also want to come and go at whim and if you don't open the door quick enough - he'll destroy your screen door or deafen you with his whinging.

They are incredibly demanding animals if they spot a weakness in the human they've chosen to adopt.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #12 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 11:26am

Cats can be very fussy- but I don't indulge mine anymore- I just say to her- think of all those cats out there starving Kitu- no be happy with what you have.

My son told me this morning she came inside and was softly mewing around his face- a muffled insistent sound- he was groggy but woke to find her standing over him with her latest  catch, a mouse, wriggling in her mouth. She always has to let us know how good and how clever she is for catching a mouse .

When you indulge cats they don't really bother with mice they way they should.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 11:48am

Agnes wrote on Mar 17th, 2015 at 11:26am:

I've found the opposite. Mine are spoiled for choice, but they are excellent rodent catchers. They've cleaned up my place and have started working on the homes next door. The young male brings the corpses to the front or back door step and leaves them quietly, but intact. The female makes a big song and dance of a catch though and tends to play with them a bit before crushing their skulls and eating them.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2015 at 12:19pm

mantra wrote on Mar 17th, 2015 at 11:48am:
Agnes wrote on Mar 17th, 2015 at 11:26am:

I've found the opposite
. Mine are spoiled for choice, but they are excellent rodent catchers. They've cleaned up my place and have started working on the homes next door. The young male brings the corpses to the front or back door step and leaves them quietly, but intact. The female makes a big song and dance of a catch though and tends to play with them a bit before crushing their skulls and eating them.

Maybe its just my cat then.. we live in wheat belt so no shortage of mice out this way- we have a lot of ferals in this town and most of them live around the wheat silos..they never go hungry..so when I trot out the old line about how all the cats are starving in Africa she just laughs at me..

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print