Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Why has Obama auth. purchase of 1.6 bil rds ammo? (Read 2909 times)
red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Why has Obama auth. purchase of 1.6 bil rds ammo?
Nov 23rd, 2014 at 6:24pm

Read this article and ponder just what is Obama up to?

1.6 Billion Rounds Of Ammo For Homeland Security? It's Time For A National Conversation

Comment Now Follow Comments         

Soldiers from the 41st Infantry Regiment, 1st ...
Armored Personnel Carriers in Baghdad. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The Denver Post, on February 15th, ran an Associated Press article entitled Homeland Security aims to buy 1.6b rounds of ammo, so far to little notice.  It confirmed that the Department of Homeland Security has issued an open purchase order for 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition.  As reported elsewhere, some of this purchase order is for hollow-point rounds, forbidden by international law for use in war, along with a frightening amount specialized for snipers. Also reported elsewhere, at the height of the Iraq War the Army was expending less than 6 million rounds a month.  Therefore 1.6 billion rounds would be enough to sustain a hot war for 20+ years.  In America.

Add to this perplexing outré purchase of ammo, DHS now is showing off its acquisition of heavily armored personnel carriers, repatriated from the Iraqi and Afghani theaters of operation.  As observed by “paramilblogger” Ken Jorgustin last September:

“[T]he Department of Homeland Security is apparently taking delivery (apparently through the  Marine Corps Systems Command, Quantico VA, via the manufacturer – Navistar Defense LLC) of an undetermined number of the recently retrofitted 2,717 ‘Mine Resistant Protected’ MaxxPro MRAP vehicles for service on the streets of the United States.”

These MRAP’s ARE BEING SEEN ON U.S. STREETS all across America by verified observers with photos, videos, and descriptions.”

Regardless of the exact number of MRAP’s being delivered to DHS (and evidently some to POLICE via DHS, as has been observed), why would they need such over-the-top vehicles on U.S. streets to withstand IEDs, mine blasts, and 50 caliber hits to bullet-proof glass? In a war zone… yes, definitely. Let’s protect our men and women. On the streets of America… ?”

“They all have gun ports… Gun Ports? In the theater of war, yes. On the streets of America…?

Seriously, why would DHS need such a vehicle on our streets?”

Why indeed?  It is utterly inconceivable that Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano is planning a coup d’etat against President Obama, and the Congress, to install herself as Supreme Ruler of the United States of America.  There, however, are real signs that the Department bureaucrats are running amok.  About 20 years ago this columnist worked, for two years, in the U.S. Department of Energy’s general counsel’s office in its procurement and finance division.  And is wise to the ways.   The answer to “why would DHS need such a vehicle?” almost certainly is this:  it’s a cool toy and these (reportedly) million dollar toys are being recycled, without much of a impact on the DHS budget.  So… why not?

Why, indeed, should the federal government not be deploying armored personnel carriers and stockpiling enough ammo for a 20-year war in the homeland?  Because it’s wrong in every way.  President Obama has an opportunity, now, to live up to some of his rhetoric by helping the federal government set a noble example in a matter very close to his heart (and that of his Progressive base), one not inimical to the Bill of Rights: gun control.  The federal government can (for a nice change) begin practicing what it preaches by controlling itself.

Remember the Sequester?  The president is claiming its budget cuts will inconvenience travelers by squeezing essential services provided by the (opulently armed and stylishly uniformed) DHS.  Quality ammunition is not cheap.  (Of course, news reports that DHS is about to spend $50 million on new uniforms suggests a certain cavalier attitude toward government frugality.)

Spending money this way is beyond absurd well into perverse.  According to the AP story a DHS spokesperson justifies this acquisition to “help the government get a low price for a big purchase.” Peggy Dixon, spokeswoman for the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center:  “The training center and others like it run by the Homeland Security Department use as many as 15 million rounds every year, mostly on shooting ranges and in training exercises.”

At 15 million rounds (which, in itself, is pretty extraordinary and sounds more like fun target-shooting-at-taxpayer-expense than a sensible training exercise) … that’s a stockpile that would last DHS over a century.  To claim that it’s to “get a low price” for a ridiculously wasteful amount is an argument that could only fool a career civil servant.

Meanwhile, Senator Diane Feinstein, with the support of President Obama, is attempting to ban 100 capacity magazine clips.  Doing a little apples-to-oranges comparison, here, 1.6 billion rounds is … 16 million times more objectionable.

Mr. Obama has a long history of disdain toward gun ownership.  According to Prof. John Lott, in Debacle, a book he co-authored with iconic conservative strategist Grover Norquist,

““When I was first introduced to Obama (when both worked at the University of Chicago Law School, where Lott was famous for his analysis of firearms possession), he said, ‘Oh, you’re the gun guy.’

I responded: ‘Yes, I guess so.’

’I don’t believe that people should own guns,’ Obama replied.

I then replied that it might be fun to have lunch and talk about that statement some time.

He si

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Why has Obama auth. purchase of 1.6 bil rds ammo?
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 6:59pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 7:11pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 6:59pm:

It's hard to trust again after your beloved(Libs) lies to you and cheats on you.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 7:40pm

Setanta wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 7:11pm:

It's hard to trust again after your beloved(Libs) lies to you and cheats on you.

All pensioners have lived with that cheating and lieing for, well, going on generations now! My nan still votes liberal at 96 and she knows she's getting ripped but y'know: still thinks she's pretty good and well, fair enough whatever she wants I suppose!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked They prey on those who've done it hard and actually used to live in depression era times with no butter and stuff!! She's happy she's got butter when it comes down to brass tacks- the rest is all attitude...
did i ever tell you about the story of her introducing me to a new language whenever Julia Gillard came on the tv????
  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2014 at 7:48pm by BatteriesNotIncluded »  

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 11:40pm

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 7:40pm:
Setanta wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 7:11pm:

All pensioners have lived with that cheating and lieing for, well, going on generations now! My nan still votes liberal at 96 and she knows she's getting ripped but y'know: still thinks she's pretty good and well, fair enough whatever she wants I suppose!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked They prey on those who've done it hard and actually used to live in depression era times with no butter and stuff!! She's happy she's got butter when it comes down to brass tacks- the rest is all attitude...
did i ever tell you about the story of her introducing me to a new language whenever Julia Gillard came on the tv????
  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  Embarrassed

I love bread and dripping, especially lamb dripping. Most of them never get their epiphany, Red has and now there's no-one he can trust. That leads to a little paranoia, they're all out to get me and my pension! The Americans will put me in a box, they even bought a bullet for me!

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 2:27am

Red probably worked hard all his life: those pensioners like my nan sure did!

She lays that butter on a bit thick but i tell ya! Apparently she didn't get none at school or something so now she just lives it up! Whatever, but for some reason i love the stuff aswell  Smiley Smiley

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 5:55am

Are you safe up in them there hills red?

Civil Unrest

Are You Prepared?

1 - Bad economic times = more crime

2 - President Obama

3 - Whatever you have, someone else wants

4 - Don't depend on any agency for protection

5 - Preparing the family psychologically

6 - Preparing the home for defense

7 - Weapons for survival

8 - Don’t trust anyone outside the family

9 - Attack methods used againt you

10 - Effective Weapon Ranges

11 - Necessity of ammo & firepower

12 - Determent

13 - Weapon Capability

14 - Binoculars & spotting scopes

15 - Readiness of weapons & practice

16 - Food & Emergency Supplies

17 - Protective gear

18 - Weapons documentation & authorization

19 - Cash, gold + barter

20 - If possible, a different location

21 - Terrain of new location

22 - Your New Life

http://www.legallyarmed.com/resources/civilunrest2.htm

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 6:12am

The Homeland Security said it will most likely be used for training purposes, and if you believe that, you'd also believe the 9/11 official story.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

George_Orhell

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 6:24am

To equip his black brothers and sisters in preparation for the day of reckoning ...........

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 7:47am

I have a question for Barrack..

what will all this ammo and these....
retrofitted 2,717 ‘Mine Resistant Protected’ MaxxPro MRAP vehicles for service on the streets of the United States.”

do for CLIMATE CHANGE?..

has he done the science?..I am thinking about the Barrier Reef Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 11:32am

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Nov 24th, 2014 at 6:12am:

The Homeland Security said it will most likely be used for training purposes, and if you believe that, you'd also believe the 9/11 official story.

I do, please carry on.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

ColdFact

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 11:43am

I'm surprised you gave the Oz-politica here so much to think about.

Admittedly it's all starting to merge into a chimera.  Was it because he couldn't get gun control so he just bought up all the ammunition? 

Anyway RB looks like you've just been branded a 'conspiracy theorist'; a trufer; a tin-foil-hat, by your Ozpolitica contemporaries.  Seems they liked you better when you believed everything that governments and the media told you. 

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #12 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 11:45am

ColdFact wrote on Nov 24th, 2014 at 11:43am:
I'm surprised you gave the Oz-politica here so much to think about.

Admittedly it's all starting to merge into a chimera.  Was it because he couldn't get gun control so he just bought up all the ammunition? 

Anyway RB looks like you've just been branded a 'conspiracy theorist'; a trufer; a tin-foil-hat, by your Ozpolitica contemporaries.  Seems they liked you better when you believed everything that governments and the media told you. 

added on to last sentnece
Seems they liked you better when you believed everything that governments and the media told you until better evidence to the contrary was provided.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 11:50am

Brian Ross....I have a friend ( a fellow ex cop) who has a collection of guns and is an active member of a Gun Club.

He has told me that corresponding with Gun Clubs member s in the U.S.A. that Homeland-Security have indeed carried out the Obama plan and that ammunition is now very expensive in the U.S.A. He also told me that Obama Government purchased the last lead smelter in the U.S. then de commissioned it.

Thus most of the U.S.A.'s ammunition is now imported.

Many gun club members in the U.S. now find it too expensive to indulge in their sport.

I realise that many would be applauding this, in light of what has happening in U.S. communities in relation to Gun Crimes.

I am not judging the issue just raising it for comment.

It is a huge change in the basic infrastructure in the U.S. in regard to gun ownership and the use of the same.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 11:51am

Lol NRA members. Theres a balanced viewpoint.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print