Send Topic Print
Islam vs Judaism (Read 8219 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Islam vs Judaism
Reply #30 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 9:14am

So one is a "small minority" and the other is a "rapidly increasing number"?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #31 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 9:21am

Exactly.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 10:06am

Muslim carry out pogroms in the name of Islam  against Jews, Christians, 'wrong' kind of Muslims every day.

Face it.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 11:20am

Soren wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 10:06am:
Muslim carry out pogroms in the name of Islam  against Jews, Christians, 'wrong' kind of Muslims every day.

Face it.

It’s true, but it’s hardly evidence of a toxic prophet and his book when, as we’ve discussed, the Jewish prophets and their book were far worse.

But forget the prophets. The problem with Islam today is the rise of the literalist, fundamentalist knuckleheads, people who don’t want to think, but instead judge and act. It’s a problem not confined to Islam, but quarters of Islam have been receptive to it, due in large part to the Arab nationalist independence movements of the 1950s and 60s.Their jihadist message was then taken up in Central Asia as a response to Soviet imperialism there. The US leaned on these groups in the 1980s, until they eventually realised what they had gotten themselves into.

Alas, by then it was far too late. The Mujahadin, and eventually, the Taliban were the children of US policy in Central Asia, just as groups like ISIL were the bastard sons of US policy in Iraq.

The brutal dogma of groups like ISIL is not confined to Islam. From the 1920s to the 1940s, Japan waged an aggressive war throughout China and Asia. They performed atrocities far worse, in fact, than ISIL. They followed a fundamentalist Bushido doctrine that encouraged death, and especially suicide.

Today, there is no element of these ideas left in Japan. Same in.Germany, which had a "thousand year" Reich. These countries were militarily conquered. Their toxic ideologies were taken.out with their leaders.

Fundamentalist Islam sits in a different time and place, with fundamentally different communication technologies to the wars of the 20th century. Mobile phones and social media have changed the social landscape.There is no Emperor or Fuhrer in militant Islam, but a range of localised cells and militias. There is no central leadership, and no nation state. Much of the phenomenon seems to be driven by the desire of young men to fight and even die in honour. Many of these boys are Islamic converts - they embrace jihad for the fighting and the dogmatic creed, not for the spiritual struggle which is the emphasis of the religion of Islam.

Global conflicts have always attracted such people. The Russian and Spanish civil wars attracted hundreds of thousands of leftists and royalists from around the world. They too engaged in rape and torture and summary executions. This is what war is all about. If the Bolsheviks had had Facebook, they too would have published footage of the mass graves and the bullets in the back of the head. There are many photos of Japanese soldiers posing with severed heads in Nanjing. Soldiers take pride in their work, and war relies on such propaganda. As many military theorists have argued, winning the propaganda war is crucial to winning the war.

This is why it’s so important for ISIS to be defeated by Muslim armies, and not the West. ISIL are a far bigger threat to the Middle East than they are to Europe and the US. They say they want death - their stated purpose is martyrdom. This can’t be achieved in a war against Sunni Muslims, although they can spin it as a battle for the "true" Islam.

All this, however, is the propaganda war. The real war in the Middle East is the same as it ever was - the struggle for ethnic and tribal dominance.The leadership of ISIL is comprised of Saddam’s old Republican Guard, those who were sacked and denied jobs after the US occupation of Iraq. While ISIL’s stated purpose is a Sunni caliphate, it’s real agenda is the restoration of the old Iraqi Ba’athists. The enemy of ISIL is not the West, it’s the Shi’ite leadership of Iraq, Syria, and ultimately Iran.

While jihad is an important recruitment and propaganda tool for ISIL, it’s not the end-game. The goal of ISIL is Sunni (and specific Sunni tribal) domination of the Middle East. Fundamentalist Islam is a crucial element to this struggle, but it’s a struggle for the restoration of a Sunni political elite who, under Saddam, saw themselves as the successors to the Babylonian dynasty of Nebuchadnezzar II.

While Saddam kept the knucklehead jihadis at bay in Iraq, his Ba’athist successors in ISIL have fully embraced them. Arab and Central Asian politics can shift this way - all politics can shift this way. Just as disgruntled Egyptian generals switched sides to join the Muslim Brotherhood, or Mujahadin jihadists in Afghanistan switched to  join a US-backed Northern Alliance, or Northern Alliance fighters switched to join the Taliban, Saddam’s old Republican Guard has formed a ragtag, but disciplined, group of Sunni Muslims to take back power in Iraq, Syria, and wherever fortune leads them.

While the prophets have some influence, they are not the cause. Militant, fundamentalist Islam is there for a reason. It is propped up, paid for and propagated by those with a purpose that is not, at first glance, what it seems.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2014 at 4:38pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #34 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 2:59pm

Face it.

Soren, no one is denying it so please stop erecting strawman arguments.

Further, I'd suggest that blaming "Muslim" (what one, singular Muslim is responsible for all that?  Roll Eyes ), indicates that there are indeed differing interpretations of Islam because, as you note, some of the victims are the, "wrong' kind of Muslims".   So, who determines what is the the "right" sort of Muslim?  Is it self-selective?   How do we know the "right" sort are in fact well, right and not wrong?   Why do you assume they are right?  'cause they told you so?    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 3:08pm

Brian Ross wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 2:59pm:
So, who determines what is the the "right" sort of Muslim? 

The Ahmadi muslims dropped the obligation for jihad and are ok with separation of mosque and state.

The Ahmadis are persecuted by mainstream Islam for heretical reforms, they cannot even call themselves muslims in Pakistan where they originated from.

Obviously mainstream Islam believes the Ahmadi are the wrong type of muslim.

www.persecutionofahmadis.org

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #36 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 6:02pm

[quote author=Baronvonrort link=1416607208/35#35 date=1416719304]
[...]

Actually, Baron despite your disingenuousness, a great deal more and very basic differences between the Ahmadis and mainstream Islam and it is on those differences that the Ahmadis are persecuted, not because they simply, "dropped the obligation for jihad" (which they haven't) or, "are ok with separation of mosque and state."

It's explained more fully on this webpage.

At its most basic, the problem is that Ahmadis are regarded by orthodox Muslims as heretical because they do not believe that Mohammed was the final prophet sent to guide mankind, as orthodox Muslims believe is laid out in the Koran.  This is a fundamental belief within Islam and any who dare to believe otherwise are essentially attacking one of its Five Pillars.

Such sectarian divisions seem silly but they are the bread-and-butter of schisms and intolerance.  Christianity and other religions have also suffered from such murderous conflicts - remember the Thirty Years War, with its over 30 million dead in Europe?
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2014 at 6:39pm by Brian Ross »  

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #37 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 6:16pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 3:08pm:
So, who determines what is the the "right" sort of Muslim? 

The Ahmadi muslims dropped the obligation for jihad and are ok with separation of mosque and state.

The Ahmadis are persecuted by mainstream Islam for heretical reforms, they cannot even call themselves muslims in Pakistan where they originated from.

Obviously mainstream Islam believes the Ahmadi are the wrong type of muslim.

www.persecutionofahmadis.org

I don't understand Baron - would you mind rephrasing this as a set of inane rhetorical questions?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #38 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 7:40pm

Face it.

Further, I'd suggest that blaming "Muslim" (what one, singular Muslim is responsible for all that?  Roll Eyes ), indicates that there are indeed differing interpretations of Islam because, as you note, some of the victims are the, "wrong' kind of Muslims".   So, who determines what is the the "right" sort of Muslim?  Is it self-selective?   How do we know the "right" sort are in fact well, right and not wrong?   Why do you assume they are right?  'cause they told you so?    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #39 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 9:19pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 12:18am:
And how am I being dishonest or even a devious bastard by saying you sound offended?

I hope you’re not trying to hurt my feelings, old boy.

That’s offensive.

You confuse (because you are an idiot? because you are a devious bastard?)  notions of being offended and RIGHT to be not offended.

If you do not grasp the difference then you are either lying or you are too thick.

I think you are unique and do both - you are too thick but are lying anyway.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 11:29pm

Soren wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 9:19pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 12:18am:
And how am I being dishonest or even a devious bastard by saying you sound offended?

I hope you’re not trying to hurt my feelings, old boy.

That’s offensive.

You confuse (because you are an idiot? because you are a devious bastard?)  notions of being offended and RIGHT to be not offended.

If you do not grasp the difference then you are either lying or you are too thick.

I think you are unique and do both - you are too thick but are lying anyway.

And I think you have all the charm and aplomb of Alan Jones having his 3am abolutions. Repetition is the key here.

One stool or two?

Miam miam, old boy. I’ll let you do the wiping.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #41 - Nov 23rd, 2014 at 11:42pm

Soren wrote on Nov 23rd, 2014 at 7:40pm:

Face it.

Condell?  'nuff said.  An entertainer.    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #42 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 9:20am

I prefer Condel to that obnoxious self-righteous twit who sits in front of the bookcase that Soren used to spam us with.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 11:27am

polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 24th, 2014 at 9:20am:
I prefer Condel to that obnoxious self-righteous twit who sits in front of the bookcase that Soren used to spam us with.

One obnoxious self-righteous twit is much like any other obnoxious self-righteous twit.  Just as Soren is much like Sprint and Yada and Freediver and Baronvert.  All peddle the same messages of hatred and intolerance.   Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Nov 24th, 2014 at 12:08pm

|dev|null wrote on Nov 24th, 2014 at 11:27am:
polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 24th, 2014 at 9:20am:

One obnoxious self-righteous twit is much like any other obnoxious self-righteous twit.  Just as Soren is much like Sprint and Yada and Freediver and Baronvert.  All peddle the same messages of hatred and intolerance.   Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

Correlation not causation, innit.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print