freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Islam vs Judaism
Nov 22nd, 2014 at 8:00am

This is something that crops up on a regular basis:

polite_gandalf wrote on Nov 21st, 2014 at 7:53pm:
Soren please don't distract with your non-sequitur.

Moses is making a doctrinal argument to justify his criticism of islam - and is basically saying muslims are evil because their doctrine is so darn evil. Yet Karnal makes an excellent counter-argument - that if its all about evil doctrine, why aren't the jews even more evil - given that jews are firm in their belief in the authenticity of their doctrine.

The implication is that its not much to do with doctrine at all.

Now if you don't mind I'd like to hear Moses answer this interesting question himself.

freediver wrote on Nov 22nd, 2014 at 7:56am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 21st, 2014 at 5:35pm:
Yes, Moses, it’s the best I can do. The Koran is tame in comparison to the Old Testament. You’d know this if you read them.

No religious Jews I know are refuting the Torah, Do you know any? They believe it’s the immutable law for all time.

You use one principle for the Muslims and another for the Jews. Essentially, your argument comes down to "but the Jews aren’t the ones going around killing people".

Very true.

But somehow, despite this, they hold a tyrannical horror story as their religious text.- a much worse one than the Muslims use.

Like the Koran, it’s not all bad. I like Ecclesiastes and a few Psalms. But the laws are far worse than anything Mo proscribed. Indeed, Mo was a gentleman by comparison to.most of the Jewish prophets. Some had child brides, all had slaves, and many fought wars of expansion and terror.

So I ask you this: why do you let the Jews off scott-free? I don’t ask this to trip you up or make a cheap point, I’m genuinely curious why you don’t hate the laws of the Old Testament with the same zeal you hold for the Koran. Have I missed an important philosophical distinction?

Please explain.

They also believe in the diaspora. They are ideologically opposed to a Jewish state, and many modern Jews actually oppose Israel's existence on religious grounds. That is hardly the same as holding it to be the immutable law for all time - how can it be if you reject the concept of a state enforcing the law? Even Judaism looks good in comparison to Islam. Judaism left that sort of nonsense behind even before Jesus turned up. Muhammed brought it all back.

To find something that makes Islam - what Muslims do believe to be the immutable law for all time - look good, you have to go back in time, before Jesus, and before the current version of Judaism was established. So what exactly is the point you are trying to make?

Either that, or look at Nazism. There are some eerie similarities there. Had Hitler succeeded in establishing his thousand year reich, it is likely that his successors would have turned him into a prophet or God in the centuries following, and his followers offered the same spineless apologetics for the holocaust that Muslims are compelled to offer for Muhammed's Jew slaughtering habits. And they would have also excused it by pointing to the harsh times that Hitler lived in, when the blitzkrieg raged and the bodies stank.

Why go back so far in time when there is a far more familiar and similar example that everyone knows about?
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2014 at 8:10am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Islam vs Judaism
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 8:16am

A diaspora,  eh? Does that mean religious Jews today don’’t follow the laws of Moses to the letter? Does that mean, for example, that they don’t use separate stoves for meat and milk, or refrain from turning on a lightswitch during the Sabbath,, or walk to the Synagogue to give the oxen a break -  simply to be obedient to immutable Jewish laws?

Ideologically opposed to a Jewish state? Which Jews are ideologically opposed to the Jewish state of Israel?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 8:21am

Quote:
A diaspora,  eh? Does that mean religious Jews today don’’t follow the laws of Moses to the letter?

It means that they cannot interpret the laws of moses in the same way that Muslims interpret the laws of Muhammed. Islam fuses religion and state (and everything else). Judaism separates them.

Quote:
Does that mean, for example, that they don’t use separate stoves for meat and milk, or refrain from turning on a lightswitch during the Sabbath (no work), or walk to the Synagogue to give the oxen a break -  simply to be obedient to immutable Jewish laws?

If people made their religion a personal thing between them and God, rather than an excuse to stone people to death, wage war, impose their standards on everyone else, and make others live as second class citizens, the world would be a better place. I have no problem with Jews making their life as complicated as possible.

Quote:
Ideologically opposed to a Jewish state? Which Jews are ideologically opposed to the Jewish state of Israel?

Have you honestly never heard of this?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 9:11am

The religious orthodox opposition to the jewish state is a tiny minority position within the Orthodox community. The vast majority of orthodox jews support the jewish state on strict ideological/religious grounds. FD apparently has never heard of the jewish settlers in the West Bank.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 9:55am

Ah, a tiny minority. That's OK then. And these west bank settlers are the 'vast majority'?

Is there a 'tiny minority' of Muslims who insist Islam rules out the existence of an Islamic state?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #5 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 10:15am

The west bank settlers are representative of mainstream orthodox judaism that strongly supports the state of Israel on ideological/religious grounds. I said nothing about how representative the orthodox community is of overall jewish community - who are predominantly secular.

You are wrong to say religious jews "believe in the diaspora. They are ideologically opposed to a Jewish state" - outside of a tiny unrepresentative minority. Its as simple as that FD.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 10:27am

I always feel reassured when Muslims trot out words like tiny minority.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #7 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 10:49am

This is FD conceding a point.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 10:56am

I'm sure the vast majority of Jews agree with you.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 11:22am

freediver wrote on Nov 22nd, 2014 at 10:27am:

Muslims were dancing on the streets and handing out sweets to celebrate the murderous attack on a synagogue a few days ago.

Hamas was elected by 45% of the vote. Is 45% a tiny minority??
« Last Edit: Nov 22nd, 2014 at 1:12pm by Soren »  

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 11:33am

freediver wrote on Nov 22nd, 2014 at 10:56am:
I'm sure the vast majority of Jews agree with you.

Perhaps you can clarify FD - as you seem to not want to come out and concede the point. What *DID* you mean by

freediver wrote on Nov 22nd, 2014 at 8:00am:
They also believe in the diaspora. They are ideologically opposed to a Jewish state

Do you mean that amongst "religious jews", the above description is a defining belief - ie a belief held by the majority of religious jews? Or do you agree with me that in fact it is a view held by a fringe minority of religious jews?

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 1:15pm

freediver wrote on Nov 22nd, 2014 at 8:21am:
Quote:
A diaspora,  eh? Does that mean religious Jews today don’’t follow the laws of Moses to the letter?

It means that they cannot interpret the laws of moses in the same way that Muslims interpret the laws of Muhammed. Islam fuses religion and state (and everything else). Judaism separates them.

Quote:
Does that mean, for example, that they don’t use separate stoves for meat and milk, or refrain from turning on a lightswitch during the Sabbath (no work), or walk to the Synagogue to give the oxen a break -  simply to be obedient to immutable Jewish laws?

If people made their religion a personal thing between them and God, rather than an excuse to stone people to death, wage war, impose their standards on everyone else, and make others live as second class citizens, the world would be a better place. I have no problem with Jews making their life as complicated as possible.

Quote:

Have you honestly never heard of this?

Sorry, FD, I have honestly never heard of any Jews who are opposed to the state of Israel. It would be great if you could fill me in.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 1:40pm

http://www.truetorahjews.org/

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 2:29pm

freediver wrote on Nov 22nd, 2014 at 1:40pm:
http://www.truetorahjews.org/

That’s it?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2014 at 3:10pm

Soren wrote on Nov 22nd, 2014 at 11:22am:
freediver wrote on Nov 22nd, 2014 at 10:27am:

Muslims were dancing on the streets and handing out sweets to celebrate the murderous attack on a synagogue a few days ago.

Hamas was elected by 45% of the vote. Is 45% a tiny minority??

Some very interesting comments on that page, Soren:

Quote:
Israel needs to end the status quo and level al-aqsa.

Quote:
We can reduce the surface of Gaza strip by a square kilometre a minute the day we decide to do it.

Quote:
Hideous vile beats. The spawn of Satan. Drive the palis into the sea.

Roll Eyes

Of course that will really bring about peace, now won't it?

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print