Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rare 16mm colour film of Melbourne circa 1940 (Read 3070 times)
Sophia
Gold Member

Rare 16mm colour film of Melbourne circa 1940
Nov 18th, 2014 at 10:10am

Don't know if it has been put up in here before, but just had to share it, how amazing, recently found, this colour 16mm vacation film at a garage sale in California! Oh the treasures!

Here is Melbourne, in colour, in 1940, and those cars! And not much congestion on them Melbourne roads! Enjoy  Smiley

IP Logged

Garfield.

Australian Politics

Re: Rare 16mm colour film of Melbourne circa 1940
Reply #1 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 5:45pm

Are the Sullivans in it?

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Nov 18th, 2014 at 6:18pm

Garfield. wrote on Nov 18th, 2014 at 5:45pm:
Are the Sullivans in it?

Smiley

Who knows, maybe this next rare one, taken by the same person, might show more, this time....Sydney in 1940.

IP Logged

Team Froggie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 12:59pm

Thanx for that, Lady Lols.

St Pat's Cathedral and Como House easily recognizable.
The dome to the left of screen of the Vic Parliament House is on the Exhibition Buildings.

Most interesting, to me, was the Luna Park face.
That face was still there in the early 50s, but was replaced around then because "it scared the kiddies".
I know it scared me.....

Thanx, again.....
Brought back some good memories.

Smiley

"What's in store for me in the direction I don't take?"-Jack Kerouac.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 1:07pm

Very interesting, thanks for posting that

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 8:15pm

Glad youse enjoyed it. It was on the news last night (or was that the night before?) the Melbourne one, they showed it, as being found at a garage sale in California.

The hubby and I were talking about it, and wondering who this person was that filmed it, maybe a visiting GI?
Someone that has a colour 16mm camera, and with a bit of know how with film scripting etc.
This person knew how to take videos, panning slowly, and taking films of iconic stuff, 74 years ago!
Very clever.

Imagine, how much room there was in them Melbourne streets to be able to do a u-turn in the middle of it...loll.....try that now, will have a banked up traffic jam of rear ended vehicles, and coppers booking the crappers out of you for doing an illegal u-turn  Grin

I remember some of the stuff from the 1950's and 60's, and things seemed more congested then, I guess, being one of the 5 million baby boomers, there was bound to be a 'crowd' effect wherever we went!
Smiley

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 8:27pm

That was awesome, thanks.

Only time I ever seen the Yarra river blue, I thought it has always been brown.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2014 at 8:33pm

Dnarever wrote on Nov 19th, 2014 at 8:27pm:

Interesting observation.
And therein is the difference, with this colour film showing it as it was, unlike the usual films in b&w or sepia.

Things change so slowly (for better or worse), and we don't even realize it, unless we compare it with films or photos.
But hey, have you ever heard the old folk say, '...back in the good ole days, when the sky was bluer, the air was fresher, and the water was clearer....' etc.

« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2014 at 10:27pm by Sophia »  

IP Logged

Team Froggie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 1:50pm

Dnarever wrote on Nov 19th, 2014 at 8:27pm:

I wouldn't bet my life on it, but I think the "Blue" Yarra is merely reflecting a blue sky.
My older brother was a Cinephotographer and could explain the conditions under which this would occur, but he is no longer with us so I can't get the reasons.

I do know that the Yarra is a tidal river, and the heavier salt water flowing up the river runs under the lighter fresh water coming down from the Yarra Heights.

This heavier salt water churns up the silt from the bottom into the fresh water layer on the top; thus giving it a muddy appearance.

I spent a lot of time, as a kid, on the banks of the Yarra, '50s, (born in '45) and have never seen the river blue and doubt very much if it was in the 40s.

Hope I haven't burst any bubbles, Dna..... Sad

IP Logged

ColdFact

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 6:44pm

Another sus factor of the film/video is the titles. Film titles have to be included in the editing, and it would have been extremely rare for an amateur to have these titles edited onto the film.  So the titles may have been added later on  -- so what else is kind of manufactured in this supposedly original footage?

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 10:25am

ColdFact wrote on Nov 20th, 2014 at 6:44pm:
Another sus factor of the film/video is the titles. Film titles have to be included in the editing, and it would have been extremely rare for an amateur to have these titles edited onto the film.  So the titles may have been added later on  -- so what else is kind of manufactured in this supposedly original footage?

I would say, it wasn't an amateur, more like someone that had pro film skills, maybe even a GI that is trained to take movies and go to war to document the account of it.
We see those movies of real war footage.

It is obviously someone that has an understanding of how buildings and gardens are, and maybe, with the onset of WW2, took many videos of 'how things were' before being destroyed?

I thought of your comments ColdFact, as I watched a doco last night about how the 1st WW came to be, it was on late and ended even later, but was fascinating.
There was films taken in colour during 1914, of life as it was, before the 1st WW, yes, in colour, now that's even earlier than 1940.
Would love to know more about the person that took these films...their life, background, skills, etc. And how this came to be, among things, stored in a garage, to be sold later at a 'garage sale'.....how things turn up where they do, almost sad really, but not really, it has gained it's fame, deservedly.

Thank goodness it wasn't all taken to the rubbish tip, as some people do with 'old stuff'.

IP Logged

Team Froggie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2014 at 12:28pm

No great mystery, CF.

You will notice the jumps between scenes throughout the film.

It's a very simple process to cut the film at one, or more, of these points and splice in the 'titles' into the developed film.

There is even a machine to assist with this process; strangely enough, it's called a Splicer.

With the developed film and instructions, even an amateur could do this at home on the kitchen table.

16mm film ran at approx 24fps (frames per second), so a 5 to 6 second 'title' w/- an approx frame width of 7mm would be approx 1m in length; easily spliced into the master film.

I can't see anything in it that appears dodgy.

Smiley

IP Logged

stryder
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2014 at 5:28pm

Sophia wrote on Nov 18th, 2014 at 10:10am:
Don't know if it has been put up in here before, but just had to share it, how amazing, recently found, this colour 16mm vacation film at a garage sale in California! Oh the treasures!

Here is Melbourne, in colour, in 1940, and those cars! And not much congestion on them Melbourne roads! Enjoy  Smiley

Woooow, when australia was really AUSTRALIA.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2014 at 10:30pm

Can't leave Brisbane out of this, now can we  Smiley.....I discovered this one was also on youtube, as well as a few New Zealand locations, from the same lot of 16mm films found at that garage sale.

IP Logged

ColdFact

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2014 at 5:34am

Team Froggie wrote on Nov 21st, 2014 at 12:28pm:

No great mystery, CF.

You will notice the jumps between scenes throughout the film.

It's a very simple process to cut the film at one, or more, of these points and splice in the 'titles' into the developed film.

There is even a machine to assist with this process; strangely enough, it's called a Splicer.

With the developed film and instructions, even an amateur could do this at home on the kitchen table.

16mm film ran at approx 24fps (frames per second), so a 5 to 6 second 'title' w/- an approx frame width of 7mm would be approx 1m in length; easily spliced into the master film.

I can't see anything in it that appears dodgy.

Smiley

Just noticed this.  Yes we did stumble upon these strange editors and splicers in film school -- the ones we edited on were called  called Steenbecks.

What I'm suggesting is that probably some raw footage was discovered somewhere.  Obviously the music has been added by the new editor as the main title has been, and I'm suggesting that he put in further shaky titles to make them look like the original.  Could be wrong.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print