Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Should it be illegal to criticise or mock religion in Aus?

Yes, it should be illegal.    
  1 (4.5%)
No, it should not.    
  21 (95.5%)

Total votes: 22
« Created by: freediver on: Oct 28th, 2014 at 9:16pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Australians want to ban mockery of religion (Read 15723 times)
Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Australians want to ban mockery of religion
Reply #30 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:30pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 29th, 2014 at 11:24am:
polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 28th, 2014 at 10:47am:
But once again, we see FD masterfully steering the discussion into irrelevant minutiae, just to distract from the core issue. Merely mocking people on the basis of religion alone is clearly something that should be sacrosanct under FD ideology, and should be protected at all costs. By rejecting this, the majority of Australians are displaying the very spineless apologetics that FD rails against day in day out (as long as they are muslims or muslim apologists).

Religion is bullshit - just take the time to watch George Carlin,.
you can't fault his logic.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:22pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:30pm:
Good to hear you having a chuckle, FD. We all need to let our hair down once in a while.

Which frame makes you laugh the most?

Probably the one that makes you all pinched and pouting like you are serious, PB.  Nothing is ever serious enough for you until the piss is taken out of Mohammed. Then you are all incomprehending and baffled and boring.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:28pm

Soren wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:22pm:
Good to hear you having a chuckle, FD. We all need to let our hair down once in a while.

Probably the one that makes you all pinched and pouting like you are serious, PB.  Nothing is ever serious enough for you until the piss is taken out of Mohammed.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying the gag, OB.

What a jolly wheeze.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #33 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:29pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 29th, 2014 at 2:37pm:
Raven wrote on Oct 29th, 2014 at 1:20pm:
Nothing wrong with mocking religion

I love that clip   Grin

That sums it all up well.

Religion is dangerous - it should be banned.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #34 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:45pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:28pm:
Soren wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:22pm:

Probably the one that makes you all pinched and pouting like you are serious, PB.  Nothing is ever serious enough for you until the piss is taken out of Mohammed.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying the gag, OB.

What a jolly wheeze.

Good to see you back at your stupid self, PB. The seriousness has passed, I can see. No Mo cartoons, what?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:51pm

It’s the same picture in every frame, isn’t it. They just change Mo’s magazine titles.

They could have done the gag in one frame, but they obviously wanted 16 separate faatwas.

Cunning, no?

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 11:04pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:51pm:
It’s the same picture in every frame, isn’t it. They just change Mo’s magazine titles.

They could have done the gag in one frame, but they obviously wanted 16 separate faatwas.

Cunning, no?

I am looking forward to your next long-winded wank about socio-economics, PB.   Then it will not be just the same nonsense in every paragraph. Oh no. That's intellectual insight, innit. Socio-economic fappity fap.  You know you want to, PB.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 11:11pm

Thanks, old chap, and I am looking forward to your next meditation on the soul a la Kierkergaard and psychoanalysis.

The Mo comic isn’t nearly as fascinating.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #38 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 9:24am

freediver wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 6:49pm:
So whether it should be illegal to mock or even criticise religion, and your inability to gauge the public mood on such a fundamental issue, is "irrelevant minutiae"?

Ah of course, its my inability to guage...

here's me thinking Australians believe people shouldn't be offended based on their religion - because they said exactly that in a survey. In FD world that is a clear case of spineless apologism.

Yet FD assures us this is incorrect, because in his words its been "reinterpreted beyond all recognition". He just hasn't got round to explaining exactly how - how people can say one thing very clearly and unambiguously, but mean the exact opposite. Coincidentally, of course, this also happens to be one of the clear examples of spineless apologism thats not from muslims or muslim apologists.

After some prodding, poor FD must resort to his comfort zone - obfuscating and derailing from this fundamental point.

But clearly its me who is unable to guage...

Notice too that FD has quietly walked away from the holocaust denial issue, hoping it will go unnoticed.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #39 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 12:29pm

Quote:
Ah of course, its my inability to guage...

That's what this thread is about Gandalf. Does the 13 to 1 outcome on this forum poll make you doubt your interpretation of the other poll?

Quote:
here's me thinking Australians believe people shouldn't be offended based on their religion - because they said exactly that in a survey. In FD world that is a clear case of spineless apologism.

Once again, issues like freedom of speech are far too complicated for you to grasp. You don't even know what you got wrong, do you?

Quote:
He just hasn't got round to explaining exactly how - how people can say one thing very clearly and unambiguously, but mean the exact opposite.

That was the point of the poll Gandalf. I had already explained why you are wrong before you came out with this little gem. How do you think the two polls give such different answers Gandalf? Is it incomprehensible to you?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #40 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 2:00pm

freediver wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 12:29pm:
Once again, issues like freedom of speech are far too complicated for you to grasp. You don't even know what you got wrong, do you?

Oh I know FD, I humbly defer to your superior grasping skills. Clearly the fact that wanting laws in place to protect people from being offended on the basis of their religion doesn't really mean wanting laws in place to protect people from being offended on the basis of their religion - is beyond my inferior comprehension skills.

Clearly the issue of freedom of speech is so complicated that we must draw the most simplistic and sweeping conclusions about muslim populations with no, or irrelevant evidence, but become all nuanced when it comes to non-muslims - to the extent that we twist their own words around to mean the exact opposite of what they said. Evidently thats too complicated for me to grasp also.

But as long as I remember the key points:
1. muslims - hate freedom
2. non-muslims - love freedom

the details don't really matter. You certainly abide by this philosophy.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 6:42pm

Quote:
Clearly the issue of freedom of speech is so complicated that we must draw the most simplistic and sweeping conclusions

Like that the vast majority of Australians want to ban criticism and mockery of religion?

Quote:
about muslim populations with no, or irrelevant evidence

This is a nice change from no evidence. You are getting closer Gandalf.

Quote:
but become all nuanced when it comes to non-muslims - to the extent that we twist their own words around to mean the exact opposite of what they said

It's pretty obvious to me and everyone else Gandalf. Have you found anyone who agrees with your interpretation of that poll?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #42 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 10:11pm

Bobby. wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:30pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 29th, 2014 at 11:24am:
polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 28th, 2014 at 10:47am:
But once again, we see FD masterfully steering the discussion into irrelevant minutiae, just to distract from the core issue. Merely mocking people on the basis of religion alone is clearly something that should be sacrosanct under FD ideology, and should be protected at all costs. By rejecting this, the majority of Australians are displaying the very spineless apologetics that FD rails against day in day out (as long as they are muslims or muslim apologists).

Religion is bullshit - just take the time to watch George Carlin,.
you can't fault his logic.

Dear Gandalf,
give up your religion.
There will be no 72 virgins for you.

Get your life back on track.

Follow instead - master Light.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 11:12pm

As Y says, may Gud destroy Moslems.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #44 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 2:11pm

freediver wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 6:42pm:
Have you found anyone who agrees with your interpretation of that poll?

Well golly gosh FD, you got me there. I guess I never really asked.

How about you? Found anyone who agrees with you that interpreting people's responses that they want to make offending people based on religion unlawful - as people wanting to make offending people based on religion unlawful - is reinterpretation "beyond recognition?" - and really means the exact opposite?

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
Send Topic Print