Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Driving From Darwin to Melbourne (Read 482 times)
Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Driving From Darwin to Melbourne
Oct 27th, 2014 at 3:07pm

I am going to drive from Darwin to Melbourne in early December - just me and my kitbag!    When I google the best routes, it seems that straight down the middle, hang a left at Port Augusta then Adelaide to Melbourne is the best way.  Has anyone driven this route recently?    Can I bypass going through the centre of Adelaide?     Any help would be appreciated.-

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Driving From Darwin to Melbourne
Reply #1 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 3:33pm

You could go via the Riverland.  It's nice through there.

Port Augusta, Renmark, Mildura, and then down to Melbourne.

Nothing wrong with Adelaide though.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 6:05pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 3:33pm:
You could go via the Riverland.  It's nice through there.

Port Augusta, Renmark, Mildura, and then down to Melbourne.

Nothing wrong with Adelaide though.

Thanks Greg, I punched that into google maps and it looks a good trip!   Nothing against Adelaide intended, I lived there for four years in to early 2000s - seen what there is to be seen!

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 12:04am

Vic wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 3:07pm:
I am going to drive from Darwin to Melbourne in early December - just me and my kitbag!    When I google the best routes, it seems that straight down the middle, hang a left at Port Augusta then Adelaide to Melbourne is the best way.  Has anyone driven this route recently?    Can I bypass going through the centre of Adelaide?     Any help would be appreciated.-

That'd be the most direct way. Not sure how scenic it would be on the Stuart Highway though. You could turn left at the Barley Highway and head to the Qld coast (or Brisbane) and then take Highway 1 to Sydney and then the Hume Highway?

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 7:51am

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Oct 28th, 2014 at 12:04am:
Vic wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 3:07pm:

That'd be the most direct way. Not sure how scenic it would be on the Stuart Highway though. You could turn left at the Barley Highway and head to the Qld coast (or Brisbane) and then take Highway 1 to Sydney and then the Hume Highway?

I came from melbourne to cairns, then cairns to darwin that way CW.   Wasn't a bad trip!   You needed a lottery windfall to pay for petrol, meals and accommodation.    I paid $135 to stay in what was basically a donger at the Barkly Roadhouse.!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 8:22am

wow you must like solitude..  and pretty much boredom as the scenery is pretty much the same the same the same..is it a good time of year to do that trip?..have someone who lives in Darwin and the NT is well known for weird weather patterns..

anyway wish you well  it could be like Everest now..you wont be alone out there.. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print