Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Dingo attack women on Fraser Island. (Read 6263 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Dingo attack women on Fraser Island.
Reply #60 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:46pm

freediver wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:13pm:
Aussie wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 8:07pm:
Quote:
Dingoes are wild animals. There will always be some starving to death while they remain wild. We either acknowledge this, or turn the island into a petting zoo full of fat, fly blown dingoes hanging around for a free feed. Believe it or not, some people actually appreciate the wilderness and go there because of that.

It is not their wildness or starvation that makes them attack people. It is nice people feeding them thinking that will somehow help the situation. That is why that idiot lady copped a $40000 fine. Common sense would not do the trick.

Fraser Island a wilderness?  What?  There is are bloody resort, private dwellings, even an airstrip there.  I've spent years racing a trailer sailer there every May Day weekend when  overnight (mid race) about 1500 (+-) drunks play up something chronic at Gary's Anchorage.  Get the dingoes off.  Simple.  No-one goes there to see them, not even you or your fishing mates, freediver.  Sheesh.

It's a big Island Aussie, and a small resort. There are thousands of things that are there that people do not specifically go to see. You are wrong about the dingoes though. They are a genuine tourist drawcard. There isn't actually much there for tourists to do, seeing as the beach is dangerous for swimming. Take one thing off the list, and it's a big hit.

Dingoes are not the problem. nice people feeding them is. Get rid of the nice people, not the dingoes.

I personally still get a bit of a thrill when I see a wild dingo, which is pretty rare. Even for me it adds to a trip to Fraser. Though of course it freaks me out a bit when they sneak up behind me while I am fishing.

The Fraser Island wilderness ship sailed long ago freediver.  Joh the Jerk sunk it personally with the careers of two very prominent public servants he also destroyed.

Dingoes out.  They are now very dangerous.  Or.............people out, including the Resort and everyone other bugger, yourself included.

IP Logged

Datalife
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:57pm

Kill all the dingos cos a woman is attacked or conversely get rid of all the people?  Over react much?  Gotta love a binary thought process.  Roll Eyes

"If they’re out there in the high seas, what you would do is seek to turn them back through the agency of the Australian Navy".

Kevin Rudd on 2GB, July 12, 2007

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #62 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:03pm

Datalife wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:57pm:
Kill all the dingos cos a woman is attacked or conversely get rid of all the people?  Over react much?  Gotta love a binary thought process.  Roll Eyes

So, you reckon there has only evah been one attack?  Jolly good.

IP Logged

Datalife
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:08pm

Aussie wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:03pm:

No, but I do accept that a wild population can be managed and maintained and that humans can also inhabit and visit the island.  You on the other hand would kill all the dingos or get rid of all the people which is why I described your thought process as binary.  Never visit the territory aussie, they have crocs up there, I am not sure you could handle the dichotomy.

"If they’re out there in the high seas, what you would do is seek to turn them back through the agency of the Australian Navy".

Kevin Rudd on 2GB, July 12, 2007

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #64 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:12pm

freediver wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 9:13pm:
Aussie wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 8:07pm:
Quote:
Dingoes are wild animals. There will always be some starving to death while they remain wild. We either acknowledge this, or turn the island into a petting zoo full of fat, fly blown dingoes hanging around for a free feed. Believe it or not, some people actually appreciate the wilderness and go there because of that.

It is not their wildness or starvation that makes them attack people. It is nice people feeding them thinking that will somehow help the situation. That is why that idiot lady copped a $40000 fine. Common sense would not do the trick.

Fraser Island a wilderness?  What?  There is are bloody resort, private dwellings, even an airstrip there.  I've spent years racing a trailer sailer there every May Day weekend when  overnight (mid race) about 1500 (+-) drunks play up something chronic at Gary's Anchorage.  Get the dingoes off.  Simple.  No-one goes there to see them, not even you or your fishing mates, freediver.  Sheesh.

It's a big Island Aussie, and a small resort. There are thousands of things that are there that people do not specifically go to see. You are wrong about the dingoes though. They are a genuine tourist drawcard. There isn't actually much there for tourists to do, seeing as the beach is dangerous for swimming. Take one thing off the list, and it's a big hit.

Dingoes are not the problem. nice people feeding them is. Get rid of the nice people, not the dingoes.

I personally still get a bit of a thrill when I see a wild dingo, which is pretty rare. Even for me it adds to a trip to Fraser. Though of course it freaks me out a bit when they sneak up behind me while I am fishing.

Not a particularly good attitude to our wildlife is it? F'k'em kill 'em all what do we need them for? Maybe the island should be depopulated of people and turned totally into a park if people can't coexist. It's 75 miles long and 15 wide, it's pretty big.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #65 - Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:42pm

Datalife wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:08pm:

No, but I do accept that a wild population can be managed and maintained and that humans can also inhabit and visit the island.  You on the other hand would kill all the dingos or get rid of all the people which is why I described your thought process as binary.  Never visit the territory aussie, they have crocs up there, I am not sure you could handle the dichotomy.

Nowhere did I say we ought kill the dingoes.  Take them off the island.  They pose a Threat, an increasing threat.  Your point about the crocs is correct.  Keep them and me out of the same dung hill, and I'll be happy.  But, you cannot successfully compare the dingo threat on Fraser Island with crocs in some creek in the NT.  Those dingoes are where we are....very mobile, fast, and on land.

I really don't care.  You either take us off that Island or the dingoes.  Keep them both and it will end in tears.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #66 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 12:33am

Aussie wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:42pm:
Datalife wrote on Oct 30th, 2014 at 10:08pm:

Nowhere did I say we ought kill the dingoes.  Take them off the island.  They pose a Threat, an increasing threat.  Your point about the crocs is correct.  Keep them and me out of the same dung hill, and I'll be happy.  But, you cannot successfully compare the dingo threat on Fraser Island with crocs in some creek in the NT.  Those dingoes are where we are....very mobile, fast, and on land.

I really don't care.  You either take us off that Island or the dingoes.  Keep them both and it will end in tears.

Or let people know of the dangers and let them make a decision that they must take the fall for. Wouldn't want to be nanny state.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 7:12am

Seriously...

Five pages on this.

The women were jogging, they jogged at regular times each day....

The article is fairly specific that the "locals" were not recommending this, probably because it sets you up as prey... Looks pretty much like it worked.

I can't believe how hard it is for some to work out pretty basic pack behaviour. Worse, in their own failure to understand how some species simply work in nature, they then have the extreme desire to either kill, remove or contain the wild animal in question...

Be nice if us nice people could learn to take a modicum of responsibility for our own choices I think.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 7:14am

I think the place should be made a sanctuary and it made unlawful to visit there without signing a waiver whereby the individual accepts full responsibility for their well being, at least in regards to the Dingo population and those interactions. Then people will actually need to learn a bit about how to keep themselves safe within the Dingo's environment.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #69 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 10:06am

Rosie wrote on Oct 28th, 2014 at 1:08pm:
I remember Fraser Island when the brumbies ran wild on the island and the dingos had plenty to eat. There was never any problems then and dingos were not considered a tourist attraction as they are today.

Some things stick in the mind's eye and I can still see the brumbies galloping along the beach. 

I hate to say it but when they decided the brumbies had to go then they should have also removed the dingos.  Neither were or are native to the island.

Correct.

They were exotic pests introduced by the Abos.

They haven't said "Sorry" yet.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #70 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 10:19am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Oct 28th, 2014 at 11:38am:
Sorry greg, I was pointing out that Herbert seems to consider himself qualified on the basis he searches the internet.

Let's use the more correct term: 'informed'.

Would you prefer that I quote passages from books found at the library?

Don't look now, but we entered the Electronic Age quite some time ago. Information technology comes mostly in the form of digital media.

Even your GP does his revisions of medical conditions off the Internet.

I think you've shot your foot off with this fairly pathetic attempt at ad hominem. Sometimes it's the better part of valour to simply keep quiet and save yourself from public embarrassment.

Who on this board ~ including yourself ~ doesn't use the internet to source their information?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #71 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 10:22am

Phemanderac wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 7:14am:
I think the place should be made a sanctuary and it made unlawful to visit there without signing a waiver whereby the individual accepts full responsibility for their well being, at least in regards to the Dingo population and those interactions. Then people will actually need to learn a bit about how to keep themselves safe within the Dingo's environment.

It should be turned into a giant Disneyland.  Cool

IP Logged

King FriYAY II
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 11:53am

Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang

Dingo problem solved.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 1:26pm

King FriYAY II wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 11:53am:

Dingo problem solved.

That's a very conservative approach...

IP Logged

King FriYAY II
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Oct 31st, 2014 at 1:36pm

Phemanderac wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 1:26pm:
King FriYAY II wrote on Oct 31st, 2014 at 11:53am:

Dingo problem solved.

That's a very conservative approach...

Effective.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print