Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 30
Send Topic Print
Your latest movie review...!!! (Read 70498 times)
Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Re: Your latest movie review...!!!
Reply #345 - Dec 17th, 2017 at 9:00pm

Just got back from watching it.

Worth a look.

Had some really good bits and some bad bits.

A bit long in the tooth imo, getting sick of them like the superhero movies.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #346 - Dec 17th, 2017 at 11:40pm

I will be adding the blu ray copy to my collection. Though, I did find the movie quite appealing. I will probably take another look sometimes this week at TLJ -- as it is a tradition for me to watch Star Wars movies twice in the cinema before I wait the 3 months for the blu ray to become available and cheap enough for purchase.

I seriously thought that they were going to have to reshoot scenes for Leia, as Carrie had died after the completion of the film. One scene in the film, you could just assume that they were going to do something to make it fit the circumstances of reality with Carrie. But then it was like, "What? You aren't going that direction? How are you going to explain things in the next movie?" Unless the director finds a way to explain an absence of Leia in the next film, things are going to get awkward.

I did like the movie. It was better than The Force Awakens. But the humour they employed in the story seemed to be for the benefit of the stupid audience and their fanaticism for them to be catered with this humour. Humour that has a place in all of the movies. But recently, it seems that the humour is misplaced, or lacks the proper timing that had been shown in the original trilogy.

Though, the best thing about the movie was the direction it took. I feel that the movie was going the right way to a fresh perspective. If the last episode -- probably later followed by episode 10, 11, and 12 -- can follow this guide to perfect conclusion, it has been a redemption in the star wars universe.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #347 - Dec 24th, 2017 at 9:52pm

Jack Taylor.

Based on Ken Bruen's noir series about an ex-Garda (Irish police) officer turned private investigator in Galway.

Unfortunately, though I looked forward to seeing this film, it did not capture the true noir of Jack Taylor, with his absolute cynicism and drinking to extreme and propensity for violence and some very deep and dark associates.  Instead it gave us a rather sensitive character who cared deeply without being sufficiently innured to violence and nastiness and prepared to go the whole hog when driven to it.  Damn - it didn't even explore his possession of his old Gard coat and the perpetual conflict between the Gardae and Jack over its return as a piece of state property.

Also missed out on posing 'Ridge' - the female Garda officer - as 'straight' rather than lesbian and somewhat confused about it, and instead substituting the interplay between the two, Jack and the lesbian, with a developing romantic style attachment of a younger woman to the older and worn Jack.

Also failed dismally in trying to put together too many Jack Taylor strands in one - the film was loosely - and I say loosely - based on 'The Magdalen Martyrs' - a much darker and hideous tale than that portrayed, and which did not involve directly Jack Taylor's mother.

Would have been better served in developing the conflict between mother and son over a series, rather than trying to cast the whole thing in a short-cut style of thing in one film and laying the entire blame for the mother/son matrix on the Magdelen upbringing that his mother did not have in the books.

Also did not develop in any meaningful way the conflict between Jack and Father Malachi, but sort of coasted along on the assumption that any viewer had read the books.

In terms of characterisation, the lead male did not carry the character noir of Jack Taylor.... too 'snaggy' and too given to walking the straight and narrow, whereas Bruen's Jack Taylor was content to breach the rules at the drop of a hat and to resort to violence of the third kind as often as necessary. 

Far too soft for Our Jack in Galway and should have been more of the total drunk iconoclast sort of Jack Reacher type.

Should have been done as a series and not a film, and the director needs shooting.  I think it was somehow waylaid by an Irish kind of morality, where the lead character must in some way always be seen to be holy and somehow saintly, regardless of his actions.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #348 - Dec 25th, 2017 at 4:45pm

Rather watch him in Game of Thrones.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #349 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 11:30pm

Anyone wanting to view "Downsizing" as a proper movie to satisfy their macrophilia/microphilia fetish will be severely disappointed. Though, Downsizing does make for a good movie.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #350 - Dec 28th, 2017 at 4:10pm

Anyone seen anything on the latest DR WHO?

Twice upon a Time

...and YES!
My 'dream' of there being a FEMALE DOCTOR (13th) has come true!!!!!!!!!!
(remember this piccie!?)
Female Dr & her BIG version of K9

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #351 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 6:45pm

Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Brilliant...

mind you.. I should have watched the first one again before this one...

I haven't seen a good action movie for a long time... and I especially liked the London Taxi Cab "drifting" scene...  Smiley

especially good considering my huge TV and 7.1 surround sound system wiht twin 10" pumping sub woofer.. BOOM!!!!!  Smiley

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #352 - Jan 1st, 2018 at 6:51pm

Agree.  It was very difficult making the connection between the first movie and this one.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #353 - Jan 3rd, 2018 at 11:50pm

I seriously was considering a Pitch Perfect 3 movie tonight, just to get out of this humid heat. But I think I will save my spare ticket for tomorrow's "All the money in the world". I have the day off tomorrow and will review it upon my return home.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #354 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 7:44am

Get Out - Daniel Kaluuya

Really enjoyed this one, had me going for a while but I did work it out before all was revealed.

Great movie imo.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #355 - Jan 4th, 2018 at 8:25pm

All the money in the world

A fairly decent kidnapping movie. The story is based on JP Getty about his decision to not pay a ransom for his grandson. The story is embellished and changed for dramatic effect. Mark Walberg plays some negotiator who organises to try and reduce the ransom amount when it emerges that his employer, Getty, won't pay the $14 million ransom. Michelle Williams plays the mother of the kidnap victim, Paul. Christopher Plummer plays the role of JP Getty, the oil billionaire.

This movie was actually quite dull and did not hold much tension to interest me. Plummer was the only shining light in the movie, and he played his role with as much coldness as the role required. Wahlberg and Williams seemed both out of their element in this story. I felt that because of the re-write of the story with Plummer replacing Spacey, both Wahlberg and Williams seem tired from redoing their scenes.

Wait until this movie is out on dvd before watching it. You are not missing much.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #356 - Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:19am

UnSubRocky wrote on Dec 26th, 2017 at 11:30pm:
Anyone wanting to view "Downsizing" as a proper movie to satisfy their macrophilia/microphilia fetish will be severely disappointed. Though, Downsizing does make for a good movie.

I thought it was a pretty crappy movie.  It did have some good parts but overall I would give it a 4.5/10.     The best thing though was the reviews of what is on the way - some good ones coming!

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #357 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 12:50am

Vic wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:19am:

I thought it was a pretty crappy movie.  It did have some good parts but overall I would give it a 4.5/10.     The best thing though was the reviews of what is on the way - some good ones coming!

Did you think that the movie could have worked just as well if the "downsizing" element was not there? I thought the resizing part of the story was there to suck people in to going to see the movie. As in, that there was the idea that there would be more interaction with full size and miniature people? I thought there would be trod on moments.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #358 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:40pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jan 6th, 2018 at 12:50am:
Vic wrote on Jan 5th, 2018 at 10:19am:

Did you think that the movie could have worked just as well if the "downsizing" element was not there? I thought the resizing part of the story was there to suck people in to going to see the movie. As in, that there was the idea that there would be more interaction with full size and miniature people? I thought there would be trod on moments.

I think the movie tried to draw parallels with the two societies.   There are just as many shysters trying to make a buck in the big world as in the small.  I felt it also lost it's way with the ending and the impending methane gas wipeout of the world.

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #359 - Jan 6th, 2018 at 4:43pm

Highly recommend watching "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"

A terrific movie but be warned the language is pretty intense!     Great storyline and enough twists and turns to keep you guessing.   Lots of "black humour" as well within the plotline.

9/10 for me

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 30
Send Topic Print