Send Topic Print
Michael Cheika (Read 1545 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Michael Cheika
Oct 21st, 2014 at 12:27pm

Quote:
Michael Cheika has accepted a three-year offer to take on the Wallabies coaching job left vacant by the resignation of Ewen McKenzie.

A source close to Cheika confirmed he would take up the deal and was keen to bring in Stephen Larkham as an assistant coach and Michael Foley to work with the forwards.

A smiling Cheika, dressed in a Waratahs tracksuit top and black jeans, confirmed the offer when he spoke to the media out the front of Waratahs headquarters at Moore Park. "It's  a pretty humbling experience to be asked to be involved in something like that, but we'll see what happens," Cheika  said.

Cheika is planning to remain in charge of the Waratahs next season and would like Larkham (Brumbies) and Foley (Force) to also stay at the helm of their respective provinces as he tries to build unity throughout the states for Australia's 2015 World Cup campaign.

"There are a few things to be ironed out, obviously the logistics, etc ... everything is so close. So we will see how it goes and work it out from there."

Asked if he was excited about the opportunity, he said: "Who wouldn't be excited in coaching [the Wallabies]."
Asked if the deal could be sealed before Friday when the team flies to Europe for its spring tour, Cheika said: "We'll see how it happens."

The strength of the Waratahs' say in any deal between him and the ARU has grown markedly.

Cheika still has one year to serve on his  contract as Waratahs coach, so no agreement between the ARU and Cheika could be reached without the Waratahs' approval – and on his and their full terms. Waratahs chief executive Jason Allen made that clear to Fairfax Media after he spoke with the ARU chief executive Bill Pulver on the telephone about matters he would not divulge.

With only a few days until the Wallabies fly out for their five-game tour, it is hard to imagine any discussion would not have something to do with pressing ARU matters. And for the ARU there is a mountain of those. They include officially appointing and naming a new coach and the new management structure Pulver said would be created before McKenzie resigned, approving and naming the Wallabies touring party initially scheduled for Tuesday, booking confirmed flights, and fine tuning arrangements for what is supposed to be a Wallabies celebration – the John Eales Medal dinner.

"I had a long chat with Bill about a number of things. I am not going to repeat what they were about," Allen said. "All I will say is, if that were to eventuate with Michael Cheika [asked to coach the Wallabies], that's the position of the Waratahs board."

Asked what the Waratahs board position is, Allen said it remained as Waratahs chairman Roger Davis expressed last week.  "We would want him to coach us next season, so we are willing to work with the ARU on the solution and wouldn't stop him obviously," Allen said. "I know Roger said we would definitely support him in advancing his career. There is no doubt about it."

Meanwhile, Allen said any loss of Cheika's services to the Waratahs would only compound an already challenging number of issues  they have to resolve before the 2015 season.

Firstly, if Cheika left, there would be the cost factor of  a global search the Waratahs would have to execute to try and find the right person, at a time when there is not a flood of top available coaches. During that search, the Waratahs would then have to appoint an interim coach from one of their two assistants, in former Crusaders assistant and All Black Daryl Gibson or former Wallaby Nathan Grey.

With the Waratahs having won their first ever Super title, losing Cheika could also compromise their potential to win back to back titles – and with that, increased gate taking and sponsorship opportunities.

"From a board position, we are on the lookout for a new CEO, and a new manager of commercial and marketing," said Allen, who will soon leave his position.

"[Finding] a head coach at this time of year … [it] would prove to be a little difficult to find a suitable candidate. It would be bloody tough … there are not too many coaches around at the moment.

"So we would want that … [having Cheika still at the Waratahs] would be our perfect solution."

Allen was confident the ARU would recognise the Waratahs' issues and work with them to find the best solution for all parties.

"We have a pretty good working relationship with the ARU. If it did go that way I am sure we would work something out," Allen said.

"I don't think it would be in the ARU's interest to have any of the team put in a predicament where they are hanging off the edge. So surely there will be a sensible decision at the end of it."

Asked if he is confident that that would happen if Cheika was offered the Wallabies job, he said: "Who knows. I am not a decision maker of the ARU. As my chairman has put out, they know our position."

Asked if a subject of discussion in his conversation with Pulver was the Beale code of conduct tribunal, , Allen said: "No  mate …  Our position is loud and clear on Kurtley Beale.

"This is an ARU matter. Since it happened in an ARU period of time, we support an employee of ours — we support Kurtley – through this process."

He's in.
Good Luck Michael.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Michael Cheika
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 4:01pm

Quote:
Now that Waratahs mentor, Michael Cheika, has been duly appointed as the national coach, here are the five reasons it won’t work

Hot head

The 47 year old coach is a self-made man, but he isn’t without his faults and there’s a reason he has a six-month suspended ban hanging over his head until 2015. Cheika was found to have abused a sideline cameraman on the Waratahs’ trip to Durban in March and could miss the World Cup if he steps out of line again.

That indiscretion came mere weeks after he smashed the door of the coach’s box during the Tahs’ loss to the Brumbies in Canberra.

His passion breeds loyalty and respect within the playing ranks, but Australian rugby is a complex political minefield and there are others won’t take kindly to it.

Il Duce

It’s well-known that Cheika demands total control of the sides he coaches. ARU CEO Bill Pulver already admitted it was a mistake to grant Cheika’s predecessor, Ewen McKenzie, a virtual carte blanche in hiring his own staff and it’s hard to believe he’ll give Cheika the same leeway.

You’d hate to think Cheika will begin his reign on the wrong side of the boss…

Step Up

We’re not in Super Rugby anymore…

The ARU is hoping Cheika can do on an international level what he’s done the Waratahs, but Test match rugby is a different beast.

There are no second chances and no opportunities to put things right next week. Especially at the World Cup which will be his first major test as coach. A simple transference of style won’t work against the All Blacks whose relentlessness and adaptability see them out of trouble time and time again.

Cheika’s style is not dissimilar to McKenzie’s and despite coaching the Reds to Super Rugby success, he couldn’t muster a win over the All Blacks in four attempts.

The mess must be addressed

A new coach won’t automatically cure the Wallabies’ many ailments. People expect Cheika to be the saviour, but it goes way beyond him. It goes to the structure and inner-workings of the ARU and extends to the playing group as well. Rumours of rifts following the infamous Dublin drinking incident last year still abound.

Even if he can institute some kind of stability and sense, he’s got less than a year to get it done. It’s simply not long enough.

You can’t coach two teams at once

Coaching a successful World Cup side is a full-time gig. You can’t do it on the side of defending a Super Rugby title with the Waratahs as Cheika proposes to do.

Steve Hansen focuses on the All Blacks fulltime. Heyneke Meyer does the same with Springboks as does Stuart Lancaster with England. Even in league, State of Origin coaches, Mal Meninga and Laurie Daley don’t have club commitments – and their teams only play three games a year.

I think he will do well.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugby-union/comment-five-reasons-michael-cheika-w...

Going through the points posted above.

1/ He's passionate.

2/ Bill Pulver should have learnt his lesson there.

3/ Super Rugby vs International rugby.  Same oval ball, same rules, same players .

4/ I don't see any 'mess'. The Wallabies have played brilliantly well sine having an Aussie coach.

5/ See '3', also that's up to Bill Pulver, the ARU and the NSWRL.

Michaels a proven performer. As was Ewan.

If everyone has the same goal, it'll go swimmingly well.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 10:52am

how good is that ?
Nothing succeeds like success.

I did not expect a win over the Barbarians.

Very well done Wallabies.

Quote:
LONDON: The Wallabies finally have something to smile about after beating the Barbarians and new coach Michael Cheika wants Australia to "get on the ride" as his team attempts to restore its badly dented reputation.

The Wallabies started Cheika's tenure with a 40-36 win at Twickenham on Sunday morning Australian time, holding off a Nick Cummins' inspired charge to secure a morale-boosting triumph.

The Barbarians' helter-skelter style and attacking freedom exposed some flaws in the Australian game plan in an 11-try bonanza.

But Cheika believes that can help accelerate his side's development after a winless month filled with off-field dramas.

The Wallabies also unearthed a potential Test star in Melbourne rookie Sean McMahon, who starred in his Australian debut after getting a shock spring tour call up.

"The win helps, but the issue is about the players and the team taking the initiative and changing people's [perception],
get them enjoying the game again
," Cheika said.

"Forget about all the other stuff, just enjoy footy for what it brings. Sometimes it's going to be great, other times it won't be perfect.

"But it's about getting on the ride and enjoying it, being proud of the team. We can do that by showing our commitment on the field.

"Our defence is probably the part of our game I want to improve the most … it's a new system so you'll have that slight hesitation but hopefully we're a bit more aggressive next week."

Australian rugby has been bashed and belted from every angle and the Kurtley Beale-Di Patston drama has engulfed the sport.

The Wallabies are intent on rebuilding respect with a four-Test tour of Europe, starting against Wales in Cardiff this weekend.

"[The game plan] of the Waratahs isn't going to work, we've got to build a unique style and embrace the characters in the team that will suit us," Cheika said.

McMahon stepped up to make his mark on the Wallabies, coming on as a replacement for Scott Higginbotham after just 19 minutes.

Higginbotham is in danger of missing the rest of the Wallabies tour after injuring is hamstring, but will be given two days to recover before a decision is made.

Cheika described McMahon's debut as "outstanding" and the Australian under-20s captain and Commonwealth Games bronze medal winner didn't look at out of place in front of almost 54,000 fans.

McMahon is in contention to replace Higginbotham in the backrow next week, with Cheika saying he would not panic into calling a player into the squad.

But the Wallabies had hearts in their mouths when cult hero Cummins, also known as the Honey Badger, led the Barbarians on a late charge.

The crowd roared as Cummins made break after break against his former teammates as the Barbarians closed the gap from 18 points to just four with time running out in a seesaw battle.

"It was a tough game ... they kept throwing the ball around and our defence stood strong at the end," said captain Matt Hodgson.

"We knew they would throw it around at the end to try to catch up. We just had to stick to our system.

"It's a big step forward for us. We're on a five-week tour and we needed to start with momentum ... not only with a win but with that physical style."

Sam Carter, Benn Robsinson, Tevita Kuridrani, Rob Horne, Bernard Foley and McMahon all scored tries while the Barbarians refused to give up.

Queensland duo Quade Cooper and Will Genia got their chances to start as a five-eighth-halfback combination but were a little rusty after injury-enforced breaks from the game.

Outside centre Tevita Kuridrani was outstanding again and has all but locked up the Wallabies' No.13 jersey for the tour.

Cheika's impact on the team was evident right from the opening whistle.

The Wallabies adopted Cheika's plan to have players start 10 metres behind halfway at kick-off, a ploy used by the NSW Waratahs in their Super Rugby success.

The Barbarians were intent on entertaining and put on an experimental masterclass to try to catch the Wallabies napping

From their first lineout No.8 Steven Luatua launched the ball 35 metres over the set piece to a flying Nick Cummins, who dropped the ball in contact.

From their first attacking penalty they put the ball five metres from the Wallabies' line and used a 12-man lineout to try and force their way over the line.

When that was illegally stopped, halfback Tomas Cubelli used an audacious no-look kick over his head from close range which resulted in a scramble for possession in the in goal.

Both teams had less than a week together in preparation, but it was the Barbarians – made up of players from all over the world – who steamrolled Cheika's men early.

At times the Wallabies appeared to lack some cohesion in the helter skelter fixture, with running rugby taking precedence over tactical play.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-match-report/wallabies-hang-on-to-beat-b...

I agree 100%. I have said that to Teams I have coached, "enjoy your game." 
You won't always win, you won't always lose. Win or lose, you can still enjoy your game.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2014 at 10:55am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Nov 2nd, 2014 at 10:52am:
I did not expect a win over the Barbarians.

What?  Why not?

Barbarians rarely win over national sides because they have no team cohesion.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2014 at 10:14am

A few words of support for a national team that wins would be beneficial.

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2014 at 7:12pm

Good luck Mick...lets hope that he can sort out some of the overblown egos in the Wallabies.

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2014 at 7:25pm

With the rumours israel Folau is set to join the long list of talented players making themselves ineleigible,  you've got to wonder whether it might be better to just disband the wallabies altogether.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 12:32am

Well.....Dunno how, but I've managed to remain awake for the start of the game against Wales.  Fading fast, however.  Bummer!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 9:13pm

These comments from Mike are what I support in the first posting

Quote:
CARDIFF: Michael Cheika wants his Wallabies to learn to love the scrum after some old wounds were opened against Wales.

Australia's scrum has stood up well in recent times and the Wallabies pack matched it with Wales for much of Saturday's 33-28 win in Cardiff.

However a late penalty try that gave Wales a sniff of victory brought back some memories of Australia's notorious struggles against northern hemisphere opposition.

The Wallabies conceded a penalty try after a period of sustained pressure on their scrum.

Cheika felt his side was unlucky to concede the late penalty try having held its ground gamely in the lead-up but said it would be an area of focus leading into next year's World Cup.

"We've got to learn to love scrums," Cheika said.

"Get into it and enjoy it and ride the wave.

"Sometimes they go good, sometimes they don't. That's for all teams.

"You've just got to do your best, enjoy it and get stuck into it."

Cheika felt his forwards performed well against a Wales side packed with British and Irish Lions.

"I didn't think we were dominated," Cheika said.

"I think we had one poor scrum in the middle of the field where we gave away a penalty and we can't afford to do that. We can't afford to have one scrum off."

Australia will get plenty of time to work on set pieces in the upcoming Tests against France, Ireland and England.

Quote:
............Get into it and enjoy it and ride the wave.

"Sometimes they go good, sometimes they don't. That's for all teams.

"You've just got to do your best, enjoy it and get stuck into it.".....

Mike - I tips my hat to you.
If your team enjoy their game, that's the best thing that can happen.

Your phrasing psychologically is perfect.

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2014 at 9:24pm

I was at this game yesterday. Really enjoyable.
Though both defences were poor in my opinion. Made for a very open game tho.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Nov 15th, 2014 at 10:29am

the French will be tough

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #11 - Nov 15th, 2014 at 8:30pm

I'd be surprised if Australia win this.
I think England will beat RSA.

Only the All Blacks will win of the touring sides I reckon.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Nov 15th, 2014 at 8:35pm

hhmmm, Course, I am picking the Wallabies to win over France.

And, SA over England. SA lost their last outing, good teams rarely lose twice in a row.

Both games could go either way.
hhmmm, I have picked against both home sides !!!!!

eeeeeeeeewwwwwwww

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Nov 16th, 2014 at 11:24am

ah, SA and France won.

We both lost  Sad

IP Logged