Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Older workers - views both ways? (Read 1595 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Older workers - views both ways?
Oct 20th, 2014 at 5:02pm

http://blog.adage.com.au/2013/12/09/report-australias-mature-workforce-2013/

"   79% believe employers don’t value mature workers more than they did 5 years ago
    61% motivated by financial return as they head into retirement
    Flexible work times  most important benefit but experienced in workplaces of only 39%
    Older workers ignoring Facebook and Twitter social networks when job seeking
    27% had been looking for job for over 24 months

This week, employer branding and social recruitment agency, Ellis Jones, and Australia’s leading job site for older workers, Adage, released the results of an annual survey into mature worker experiences. Australia’s Mature Workforce reveals a deep sense of mistrust between older employees and employers and low levels of confidence heading in to 2014.

Only 9% of respondents feel employers are successfully trying to encourage older workers to apply for roles within their organisation.

“Even if mature workers are ready, able and qualified to do the job, often the opportunity isn’t there due to preconceived negative bias about older workers,” said Ms Holmes."

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Older workers - views both ways?
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 7:13pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 20th, 2014 at 5:02pm:
http://blog.adage.com.au/2013/12/09/report-australias-mature-workforce-2013/

"   79% believe employers don’t value mature workers more than they did 5 years ago
    61% motivated by financial return as they head into retirement
    Flexible work times  most important benefit but experienced in workplaces of only 39%
    Older workers ignoring Facebook and Twitter social networks when job seeking
    27% had been looking for job for over 24 months

This week, employer branding and social recruitment agency, Ellis Jones, and Australia’s leading job site for older workers, Adage, released the results of an annual survey into mature worker experiences. Australia’s Mature Workforce reveals a deep sense of mistrust between older employees and employers and low levels of confidence heading in to 2014.

Only 9% of respondents feel employers are successfully trying to encourage older workers to apply for roles within their organisation.

“Even if mature workers are ready, able and qualified to do the job, often the opportunity isn’t there due to preconceived negative bias about older workers,” said Ms Holmes."

Grappler the reason solely is that all the major employers today don't want anyone older who stands up for themselves & their rights or because there's a chance they may have belonged to or had Union membership or backgrounds.

They want younger people they can exploit because they haven't had to belong to a Union, they are not sure of their rights & go with the Yes sir, no sir ... three bags full sir.

It always amazes me the younger ones in the workforce who choose not to be in a Union, think that the rates of pay they now receive are from the goodness of the heart of the employer.  Grin

Yet when they have a problem/ make a blue & their job is on the line .......

who do they come looking for?  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Oct 21st, 2014 at 7:30pm

Indeed - I had that as a Union delegate... rabid anti-Union guy got the sack and first port of call was... you guessed it...

Stupid dicks used to flatten tyres on my van and stuff... then when the time came for a helping hand or someone to front the management over pay rise or a new contract and take the risk of management targeting the Union man on the job floor (which they did - Dame Pansi is currently reading part of my auto-bio)........ guess what...

"Ya gotta help me, Eddie!  The weasel's gonna get me!"

DUM AS.... even those on salaries seem to think they are a special breed and that their current and future pay is not dependent on the strength of labour in negotiation.  The boss just gives them all those goodies out of generosity.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

gone
Gold Member

Australian Politics

somewhere
Reply #3 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 2:29am

Gnads wrote on Oct 21st, 2014 at 7:13pm:
Grappler the reason solely is that all the major employers today don't want anyone older who stands up for themselves & their rights or because there's a chance they may have belonged to or had Union membership or backgrounds.

They want younger people they can exploit because they haven't had to belong to a Union, they are not sure of their rights & go with the Yes sir, no sir ... three bags full sir.

Very true. Most young people just obey as they have been trained in school for many years... That's the primary motive behind compulsory schooling. To brainwash kids into believing they have to obey.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #4 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 7:01am

I don't personally believe that the problem relates to unions or employees standing up for themselves at all.

The way that I see it there are a number of factors:

Younger managers may feel threatened - mostly unjustified though it shouldn't be.

Perception of issues with fitness and ability to learn new processed and change.

Risk of deterioration of reliability health issues etc - mostly in reality it is the opposite they are more reliable.

Easily beaten at an interview to anyone with a more attractive appearance.

Not fitting the young dynamic team profile - which is actually unhealthy and counter productive in most instances.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #5 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 9:23pm

In the simplest terms, young people do not relate easily to old people. They have nothing to go by. Youthfulness will always have a seductive quality which is based on a sense of promise. Old people cannot compete with such a sense. This is perfectly normal and cannot be legislated away.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #6 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 9:46pm

issuevoter wrote on Oct 22nd, 2014 at 9:23pm:
In the simplest terms, young people do not relate easily to old people. They have nothing to go by. Youthfulness will always have a seductive quality which is based on a sense of promise. Old people cannot compete with such a sense. This is perfectly normal and cannot be legislated away.

A healthy mix in the workplace will produce the best results.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2014 at 9:54pm

Dnarever wrote on Oct 22nd, 2014 at 9:46pm:

it wouldnt always be easy for an older worker taking orders from someone half their age and half their experience...

some older workers need to retrain I think..women tend to do that more than men...change course as it were...

we cant keep sitting back waiting for the govt to solve everything.

who knows you may find out something you didnt know about yourself..

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2014 at 7:50am

Very interesting grapples, thanks for that

IP Logged

gone
Gold Member

Australian Politics

somewhere
Reply #9 - Oct 23rd, 2014 at 6:07pm

cods wrote on Oct 22nd, 2014 at 9:54pm:

it wouldnt always be easy for an older worker taking orders from someone half their age and half their experience...

some older workers need to retrain I think..women tend to do that more than men...change course as it were...

I wouldn't take orders from anyone anymore. I have never had a boss who was more intelligent than me. Most of them were dumber than a second coat of paint.  Grin

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2014 at 6:54pm

The real problem for older workers is getting a start so they can be in a workplace. I doubt any of them really cares how old their manager is. The problem is the other way, I think - a younger manager may feels threatened by an older worker with more experience.

Quote:

Courses cost money - unaffordable for the unemployed.

Quote:

The government are doing nothing. This applies to all governments, state and federal, and from both sides of politics.

The government could pass laws to give unemployed people the same protection against discrimination and vilification that other groups take for granted. They don't.

The government could offer incentives to hire the long-term unemployed regardless of age. They don't.

The government could identify and remove barriers to employment that keep unemployed people out of the workforce. They don't, except when employers complain.

In short, the government's role is to pass needed laws and they aren't doing that.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 4:58pm

gone wrote on Oct 23rd, 2014 at 6:07pm:

I wouldn't take orders from anyone anymore. I have never had a boss who was more intelligent than me. Most of them were dumber than a second coat of paint.  Grin

which is why you are permanently unemployed and angry.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 5:08pm

Interviewer: " Can you spell?"

Applicant: "What you mean?"

Interviewer: " I'm referring to your grammar."

Applicant: "Granma's fine, it's Grandad that needs talking to."

Cool

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #13 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 5:30pm

I have been in situations where I have been shown how to do something by a teenager with no problem, you should listen to who ever knows the answers.

I have an IT background where learning and new technology is an ongoing requirement. I tend to mentor the younger employees on technology and change.

My last upward report was half my age and we got along fine when working in the same team.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 5:51pm

Dnarever wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 5:30pm:

I have been in situations where I have been shown how to do something by a teenager with no problem, you should listen to who ever knows the answers.

I have an IT background where learning and new technology is an ongoing requirement. I tend to mentor the younger employees on technology and change.

My last upward report was half my age and we got along fine when working in the same team.

younger people know HOW to do it.  Older people ask the question WHY do it.  You see it in the NBN argument where everyone under 25 wants it without a single thought while over 50s who grew up without the internet ask WHY.

you need both streams. 

I run a training company where we use older seasoned professionals (sometimes retired) because they know things that aren't taught in university and they also aren't afraid to tell people to question why they do things rather than do them because they can.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print