Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
How Stupid Do You Have To Be (Read 3950 times)
ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

How Stupid Do You Have To Be
Oct 17th, 2014 at 11:23am

How stupid do you have to be to accept a situation where companies go off shore to take advantage of slave labour wages and then export their products back to Australia at inflated prices so that they can take advantage of what for the time being is our higher wages. Free trade agreements are undoubtedly the biggest destroyers of jobs in this country and the jobs that are surviving are progressively being down graded to slave labour pay and conditions.  Our governments have stopped governing for our interests (if indeed they ever did). They have more loyalty and more in common with the wealthy and powerful foreign elite then they have to the average working Australian.  Time we fought these bastards for the sake of a decent dignified living for ourselves and our children in the future. Greed knows no bounds and has no other loyalty but to greed.   

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Re: How Stupid Do You Have To Be
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 12:00pm

Globalization and free trade is here to stay. Both bring benefits to the whole of mankind.

Australia's real problems are the boom and bust cycles that infect the economy and it is likely a bust is coming following the recent boom.

It is quite incredible how the economy has become dependent on the house construction industry. If that collapses the ponzi scheme economy will implode.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 12:28pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 12:00pm:
Globalization and free trade is here to stay. Both bring benefits to the whole of mankind.

Australia's real problems are the boom and bust cycles that infect the economy and it is likely a bust is coming following the recent boom.

It is quite incredible how the economy has become dependent on the house construction industry. If that collapses the ponzi scheme economy will implode.
I think your repetition of the mantra that free trade has been a benefit to mankind is just that; the repetition of a mantra without much thought.  Indeed like all things, free trade has brought a mixture of good things and bad things but on balance I think its been more harmful then good. Overall the products that are produced are cheap, substandard, unreliable and shoddy and unnecessarily deplete our limited resources to produce goods with a ridiculously short life span fit only for the garbage tip, which in turn is destroying our environment.  As to globalisation, I have no problem with it provided we have a genuine say in how it is managed, which we don't.  Free trade with countries that pay their workforce slave labour wages under slave-like conditions necessarily means that our wages and work conditions must fall to those levels or our jobs will be lost. You're argument that free trade is here to stay does not counter what I have said. There is no reason why we can't manage trade in a way that our trade barriers only apply to imports that have been produced by slave labour and slave-like working conditions.  As to your complaints about the boom bust cycle, well then you have a complaint with capitalism because that's how capitalism works. If you got a problem with it you gonna have to rethink that support. 

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 1:36pm

ImSpartacus2 wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 12:28pm:

I think your repetition of the mantra that free trade has been a benefit to mankind is just that; the repetition of a mantra without much thought.  Indeed like all things, free trade has brought a mixture of good things and bad things but on balance I think its been more harmful then good. Overall the products that are produced are cheap, substandard, unreliable and shoddy and unnecessarily deplete our limited resources to produce goods with a ridiculously short life span fit only for the garbage tip, which in turn is destroying our environment.  As to globalisation, I have no problem with it provided we have a genuine say in how it is managed, which we don't.  Free trade with countries that pay their workforce slave labour wages under slave-like conditions necessarily means that our wages and work conditions must fall to those levels or our jobs will be lost. You're argument that free trade is here to stay does not counter what I have said. There is no reason why we can't manage trade in a way that our trade barriers only apply to imports that have been produced by slave labour and slave-like working conditions.  As to your complaints about the boom bust cycle, well then you have a complaint with capitalism because that's how capitalism works. If you got a problem with it you gonna have to rethink that support. 

I recall that the car industry was supported by government benefits to the tune of $50,000 a year. That implies that if they paid third world wages and got no government subsidies they would still have been uncompetitive.

Australia's competitive advantage is in manufacture of Map of Tassie Merkins and boomerangs.

Quote:
Reworking the figures, it turns out that Australia has subsidised the manufacturing of vehicles to an extraordinary extent -- $US1885 per vehicle, compared with Sweden ($US297), Germany ($US206) and the US ($US166). In other words, Australia has the highest rate of budgetary assistance of the seven first-world countries listed.

So this puts paid to this argument. The Australian government as well as state government have bent over backwards to bribe the foreign multinationals to continue to produce cars in this country. We now know that Toyota Australia has received nearly $500 million in the past four years. Given that there are some 2500 Toyota employees, this works out at $50,000 a worker a year.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/columnists/lies-damn-lies-and-car-subsid...

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #4 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 4:05pm

ImSpartacus2 wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 11:23am:
How stupid do you have to be to accept a situation where companies go off shore to take advantage of slave labour wages and then export their products back to Australia at inflated prices so that they can take advantage of what for the time being is our higher wages. Free trade agreements are undoubtedly the biggest destroyers of jobs in this country and the jobs that are surviving are progressively being down graded to slave labour pay and conditions.  Our governments have stopped governing for our interests (if indeed they ever did). They have more loyalty and more in common with the wealthy and powerful foreign elite then they have to the average working Australian.  Time we fought these bastards for the sake of a decent dignified living for ourselves and our children in the future. Greed knows no bounds and has no other loyalty but to greed.   

Of course they serve the elite, they couldn't give a stuff about the average Joe, they just pretend to. We're the ones who hold them up.

Nothing would be what it is,
Because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary-wise - what it is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would.
You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 5:30pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 1:36pm:

I recall that the car industry was supported by government benefits to the tune of $50,000 a year. That implies that if they paid third world wages and got no government subsidies they would still have been uncompetitive.

Australia's competitive advantage is in manufacture of Map of Tassie Merkins and boomerangs.

Quote:
Reworking the figures, it turns out that Australia has subsidised the manufacturing of vehicles to an extraordinary extent -- $US1885 per vehicle, compared with Sweden ($US297), Germany ($US206) and the US ($US166). In other words, Australia has the highest rate of budgetary assistance of the seven first-world countries listed.

So this puts paid to this argument. The Australian government as well as state government have bent over backwards to bribe the foreign multinationals to continue to produce cars in this country. We now know that Toyota Australia has received nearly $500 million in the past four years. Given that there are some 2500 Toyota employees, this works out at $50,000 a worker a year.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opinion/columnists/lies-damn-lies-and-car-subsid...
Not sure where that gets you.  Just because cheap labour produces cheap cars at the end of the process line doesn't mean that they produced a quality product.  Many great businesses producing great products have been priced out of the market by free trade and employers who will only pay the bare minimum in wages.  Time and time again its been proved that when people have little or no disposable income they will invariably opt for the cheaper product but that doesnt mean that when you compare the products that the cheap product is more competitive in the true sense.  If we want better, reliable products that will last and do the job and wont end up in the land fill in a few moths time we need to lose this idea that capitalism weeds out the worst and the weak. Quite the opposite. It only competes best on price and if people were paid the true value of the wealth they create they would buy quality over price any day of the week   

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 6:05pm

ImSpartacus2 wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 5:30pm:

Quote:

Not sure where that gets you.  Just because cheap labour produces cheap cars at the end of the process line doesn't mean that they produced a quality product.  Many great businesses producing great products have been priced out of the market by free trade and employers who will only pay the bare minimum in wages.  Time and time again its been proved that when people have little or no disposable income they will invariably opt for the cheaper product but that doesnt mean that when you compare the products that the cheap product is more competitive in the true sense.  If we want better, reliable products that will last and do the job and wont end up in the land fill in a few moths time we need to lose this idea that capitalism weeds out the worst and the weak. Quite the opposite. It only competes best on price and if people were paid the true value of the wealth they create they would buy quality over price any day of the week   

when you want to pay $100,000 for a base holden, $3000 for an auseie fridge and $15K for a flat screen TV mad here then come back and make your case.  the point is that our high lifestyle comes at a cost and one of them is that manufacturing will be elsewhere.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Rubin

Australian Politics

Darwin
Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 6:16pm

No amount of evidence has the power to bring a concultion that is emotionally unpalatable.
That's why sheople still believe government rules and regulations can fix their plight   Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 6:23pm

Rubin wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 6:16pm:

No amount of evidence has the power to bring a concultion that is emotionally unpalatable.
That's why sheople still believe government rules and regulations can fix their plight   Grin Grin Grin

Do you want to try that again, but this time in well written English?  What do you call the language of 'tin foil hat'?

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 6:52pm

longweekend58 wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 6:05pm:

Quote:

when you want to pay $100,000 for a base holden, $3000 for an auseie fridge and $15K for a flat screen TV mad here then come back and make your case.  the point is that our high lifestyle comes at a cost and one of them is that manufacturing will be elsewhere.

When you pay people a fair wage for the wealth they create they will gladly pay those prices because people only go cheap when they have little or no disposable income.  When they have a fair wage in their pocket they will pay for quality and in an age of global warming, diminishing resources, overflowing land fills with brand new discarded capitalist junk, that's exactly what we need for the good of humanity, our planet and all the flora and fauna it supports.   

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 6:55pm

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2014 at 8:35pm by ImSpartacus2 »  

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 8:34pm

longweekend58 wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 6:23pm:
Rubin wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 6:16pm:

Do you want to try that again, but this time in well written English?  What do you call the language of 'tin foil hat'?

Longy, I think this idiot's on your side, though I understand why you want to disown him.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2014 at 9:29pm

I agree with Spartacus ... free trade is just another way for large corporations to pay lower wages. One example, Blundstone boots moved manufacturing to China 7 yrs ago, and yet the prices of their boots hasn't dropped. The only ones to benefit are the shareholders.

Not only that but I used to like going overseas and finding items that were unique to a particular country ... these days it doesn't matter where you go, its the same sh1t everywhere.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 8:36am

ImSpartacus2 wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 6:52pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 6:05pm:

Quote:

When you pay people a fair wage for the wealth they create they will gladly pay those prices because people only go cheap when they have little or no disposable income.  When they have a fair wage in their pocket they will pay for quality and in an age of global warming, diminishing resources, overflowing land fills with brand new discarded capitalist junk, that's exactly what we need for the good of humanity, our planet and all the flora and fauna it supports.   

what garbage.  RICH people largely buy according to price just as everyone else does.  NO ONE will pay $3000 for the aussie made fridge compared to the $900 imported one.  ANd the assumption that imports are crap is wrong too.  Chinese goods are mainly junk, but Japanese and german are not.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Oct 18th, 2014 at 9:02am

John Smith wrote on Oct 17th, 2014 at 9:29pm:
I agree with Spartacus ... free trade is just another way for large corporations to pay lower wages. One example, Blundstone boots moved manufacturing to China 7 yrs ago, and yet the prices of their boots hasn't dropped.

Reminds me of that comedy song by flight of the conchords..

"They're turning kids into slaves just to make cheaper sneakers,
But what's the real cost 'cos the sneakers don't seem that much cheaper,
Why are we paying so much for sneakers when you've got them made by slave kids,
What are your overheads?"

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print