Send Topic Print
Patriotism v. Racism? (Read 7092 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Patriotism v. Racism?
Reply #75 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 12:18am

Quote:
Boswell tells us that Samuel Johnson made this famous pronouncement that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel on the evening of April 7, 1775. He doesn't provide any context for how the remark arose, so we don't really know for sure what was on Johnson's mind at the time.

However, Boswell assures us that Johnson was not indicting patriotism in general, only false patriotism.

[Source]

Yet again you fail to undertake even the most rudimentary research, Soren.   Are you incapable of doing so?   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #76 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 1:26am

cods wrote on Oct 24th, 2014 at 4:19pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Oct 24th, 2014 at 10:58am:
cods wrote on Oct 24th, 2014 at 7:21am:
Lord Herbert wrote on Oct 24th, 2014 at 5:08am:
Emma wrote on Oct 23rd, 2014 at 1:30am:
That would be really good you racist pommy arselicker

Please explain.

you really want more verbal diarrhea..sheeeeeeeze

"sheeeeeeze" a what?

Don't answer that. I know what she is. All heart and no brain. 

you have better insight than I...

Cause for real concern there Cods   Grin

live every day

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #77 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 10:51am

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 12:18am:
Quote:
Boswell tells us that Samuel Johnson made this famous pronouncement that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel on the evening of April 7, 1775. He doesn't provide any context for how the remark arose, so we don't really know for sure what was on Johnson's mind at the time.

However, Boswell assures us that Johnson was not indicting patriotism in general, only false patriotism.

[Source]

Yet again you fail to undertake even the most rudimentary research, Soren.   Are you incapable of doing so?   Roll Eyes

Address yourself to your ijit sidekick, Hot 'n Bovved.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #78 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 12:35pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 24th, 2014 at 1:05pm:
Grin   Herbie got owned.

Pig's arse!

Emma is a loose cannon, which means she's all over the deck like a Boarding House pudding.

You could be next to receive a broadside from her. It all depends on the phases of the moon.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #79 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 3:04pm

Soren wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 10:51am:
Quote:

[Source]

He knew what he was talking about, Soren.  You didn't.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #80 - Oct 25th, 2014 at 11:00pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 24th, 2014 at 1:05pm:
Emma wrote on Oct 23rd, 2014 at 1:30am:
Lord Herbert wrote on Oct 18th, 2014 at 9:43am:
Good post, cods.

It always frustrated me that the government seemed to think it was only a matter of teaching migrants to speak English that needed doing in order to make them assimilate as 'Australians'.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

WAY more important has been the need to teach the various immigrant ethnicities the Do's and Don'ts of acceptable behaviour within the context of Australia's Anglo-Saxon social mores, values, and ethics.

In my personal experience over a period of 50 years as a visitor to your country, the discordant behaviour of migrants has been a source of endless irritation to my Anglo sensibilities.
But I'll say no more.

That would be really good you racist pommy arselicker

Grin   Herbie got owned.

[size=6][/size]

Smiley  Poor herbie,   Smiley

It all depends on the phases of the moon.   Grin

live every day

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #81 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 1:23am

Let me show you.. in your own words... WHAT IT IS.. that mildly annoys me about you herb.    You say this..   Tongue

It always frustrated me that the government seemed to think it was only a matter of teaching migrants to speak English that needed doing in order [b]to make them assimilate as 'Australians'.[/b]Nothing could be further from the truth...

In my personal experience over a period of 50 years
as a visitor to your country
..blah blah blah blah

so shut the f up then.. you are just a visitor.. that is how you see your self.. to this country  ...  your opinion ??  as worthless as you are .. to  THIS  country.

live every day

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #82 - Oct 26th, 2014 at 2:00pm

Brian Ross wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 3:04pm:
Quote:

[Source]

You do not realise, my silly little TAFE teacher, that you are not quoting me with that Boswell reference. I don't know why you attributed it to me, if not out of your customary dishonesty.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #83 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 1:05am

em  were we talking about patriotism, really..  ?

um  isn't patriotism  a sort of refined version of Nationalism? Ah  .. um  a more acceptable face of the ugly truth ?

isn't it more like 

Patriotism + Racism =  Nationalism..??
Isn't THIS our national policy  ??

live every day

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #84 - Oct 27th, 2014 at 8:32am

Emma wrote on Oct 27th, 2014 at 1:05am:
em  were we talking about patriotism, really..  ?

um  isn't patriotism  a sort of refined version of Nationalism? Ah  .. um  a more acceptable face of the ugly truth ?

isn't it more like 

Patriotism + Racism =  Nationalism..??
Isn't THIS our national policy  ??

What exactly is wrong with liking and preferring your own culture above all others?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #85 - Oct 28th, 2014 at 12:13am

Soren wrote on Oct 26th, 2014 at 2:00pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Oct 25th, 2014 at 3:04pm:
Quote:

[Source]

You do not realise, my silly little TAFE teacher, that you are not quoting me with that Boswell reference. I don't know why you attributed it to me, if not out of your customary dishonesty.

I am unsure why you keep on about TAFE.  Roll Eyes

I didn't claim you made the Boswell reference.  Rather I am discussing your attack on HB's use of the Boswell reference.    As I pointed out, HB understood it, you didn't.   Perhaps you really aren't as assimilated as you believe that you seem to have made such a rudimentary mistake?    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print