Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Royal Melbourne Show... (Read 574 times)
Sophia
Gold Member

Royal Melbourne Show...
Sep 24th, 2014 at 6:10pm

Entry fee: $36 for anyone over age 14.
How on earth does a 15 or 16 yr old afford that?
I saw the face drop of one young fella, when paying $36, like he had just been stripped of the majority of his walet.

Needless to say (it was my friend's daughter's bf).....he went on no rides for the afternoon, and bought only a can of drink.

I was lucky to get in for $20 with an RACV membership card and being after 2pm.

And nothing is cheap, except, trying out little bits of this, that and the other in the food pavilion.

I even got a free massage in them state of the art massage chairs, bliss......

Oh, and parking the car was $20
I overheard a dad saying with his 3 kids, it cost him over $400 with parking, entry, rides, eating and drinking, and show bags  Shocked

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Royal Melbourne Show...
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 6:38pm

Sophia wrote on Sep 24th, 2014 at 6:10pm:
I saw the face drop of one young fella, when paying $36, like he had just been stripped of the majority of his walet.

Needless to say (it was my friend's daughter's bf).....he went on no rides for the afternoon, and bought only a can of drink.

And nothing is cheap, except, trying out little bits of this, that and the other in the food pavilion.

I overheard a dad saying with his 3 kids, it cost him over $400 with parking, entry, rides, eating and drinking, and show bags  Shocked

I think its a lot more than that to go to the Royal Easter in SYd..and Canberra aint cheap either...and its mostly tinpan alley stuff....

best to go every 5 years I reckon.. give you time to forget about the rip off..lolol...I trust it was a nice day.and the kids had a great time.. half the fun is watching..

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 12:42am

cods wrote on Sep 24th, 2014 at 6:38pm:
half the fun is watching..

Take a camera there so that those who can't afford it can watch it as a video. Cheesy

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 9:27am

In my experience, its always been more fun and cheaper to go to a smaller show. I've been to Canberra and Sydney which sucked but Illabo, Wagga, Bathurst, Boorowa were more compact and good to go to.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 9:30am

i think it was about $35 for the gold coast show a few weeks ago ... and then they charge you $5 for every ride or event the kids want to try ... $5 for a drink or coffee and food started at $5.

If you are going with kids, you'll need a few hundred dollars for the day. And I'm not even counting show bags.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

King FriYAY II
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 10:27am

We used to scab empty bottles and cash them in for our show money when we were kids.

We had no spare money to go to the local show, if we didn’t collect bottles, do odd jobs etc we didn’t go.

If we were lucky we got dropped off, if not we walked – walk to one power pole, jog to the next – about 5k’s I guess. Used to do it all the time.

Ahhhhhh the good old days  Smiley

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 4:42pm

King FriYAY II wrote on Sep 25th, 2014 at 10:27am:
We used to scab empty bottles and cash them in for our show money when we were kids.

We had no spare money to go to the local show, if we didn’t collect bottles, do odd jobs etc we didn’t go.

If we were lucky we got dropped off, if not we walked – walk to one power pole, jog to the next – about 5k’s I guess. Used to do it all the time.

Ahhhhhh the good old days  Smiley

I remember so many young lads used to do the paper rounds or collect cans to cash in, and ride bikes or walk everywhere. I do have a lot of respect for you KFII, you are probably respectable of the value of money, and fit as a result of your youth eh?  Smiley

I was never driven anywhere, walked all the time, to school and back, even in the worst weather conditions, and almost got abducted by some creep in a panel van, and I ran and ran and ran my little legs off, lucky I knew all the short cuts in the alley ways, and people's yards from front to rear, jumping fences and avoiding little terriers wanting to take a nip of me  Grin

It's any wonder why parents won't allow their kids to have that sort of freedom such as you did KFII....

But on the other hand, I wonder how many do yard or house chores for their parents driving them everywhere and paying for everything?

It's a different world now to them long gone days, that's for sure.

And I agree TOB.....the smaller regional shows are more affordable, parking is free, and entry about $15, and then, there are goodies that are reasonably priced. Nicer atmosphere too. Love all the arty farty stuff too.

Which reminds me, I better pick some photos for the photo comp for our local show coming up in November  Cool

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2014 at 10:07pm

Not worth the money these days.

And the oligarchy keeps calling out to drop our wages cause their too high.

Well our wages maybe high but so is the cost of living in this country and I blame those useless politicians that act like two bob watches in parliament.

When I was a kid we came out of the milk bar one day and spotted a $20 bill in the mud.

Well we jumped on it like flies on ****, we washed that $20 bill we dried it with care and then for the next 8 months or so we drove the lady owner of that milk bar crazy.

Every day we would go in and buy a bag of assorted lollies cost about 5cents.

We sure did give that lady the pips.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2014 at 9:51am

Everything is going up!

MUGABE
is laughing his head off at the Western (UK/USA and all those nations dependent upon the USA Economy) Economy.  Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print