Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"..environmentally perverse fossil fuel subsidies" (Read 270 times)
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

"..environmentally perverse fossil fuel subsidies"
Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:31am

UK to fight 'perverse fossil fuel subsidies'

UK prime minister David Cameron said governments needed to give businesses certainty to invest in low-carbon technologies.

"That means fighting against the economically and environmentally perverse fossil fuel subsidies which distort markets and rip off taxpayers," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-24/un-says-climate-change-biggest-ever-threat...

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: "..environmentally perverse fossil fuel subsidies"
Reply #1 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 12:08pm

'Fossil fuel subsidies reached $90 billion in the OECD and over $500 billion globally in 2011.[1] Renewable energy subsidies reached $88 billion in 2011.[2] According to Fatih Birol, Chief Economist at the International Energy Agency without a phasing out of fossil fuel subsidies, we will not reach our climate targets.[3]'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_subsidies

Only wiki, I know; but it does have citations.

Is it only 'fossil fuel subsidies' that are perverse, or all energy subsidies?

Given the problems with Bader1 etc, I would expect renewable subsidies to now be considerably higher.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Re: "..environmentally perverse fossil fuel subsidies"
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2014 at 11:22pm

lee wrote on Sep 24th, 2014 at 12:08pm:
'Fossil fuel subsidies reached $90 billion in the OECD and over $500 billion globally in 2011.[1] Renewable energy subsidies reached $88 billion in 2011.[2] According to Fatih Birol, Chief Economist at the International Energy Agency without a phasing out of fossil fuel subsidies, we will not reach our climate targets.[3]'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_subsidies

Only wiki, I know; but it does have citations.

Is it only 'fossil fuel subsidies' that are perverse, or all energy subsidies?

Given the problems with Bader1 etc, I would expect renewable subsidies to now be considerably higher.

jebus, am i an economics 101 teacher or what? Go ask a crack smoker and he'll pull out his year 11 text book and remember to take it off him and read the unhighlighted bits  Cheesy Cheesy

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print