Muslims and Pigs (Read 4813 times)
|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Muslims and Pigs
Reply #30 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:42pm

Soren wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:35pm:
|dev|null wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 3:31pm:
Mantillas are still worn traditionally in Spain and other largely Catholic nations.

Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

Not in Australia,  then,  you grinning fool.

Moving the goalposts again?   Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #31 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 4:52pm

Soren wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 9:52am:
What makes the observant Christian different is that you cannot tell by looking at her that she is. Christianity is really in the heart, not on the sleeve and people find public demonstration of piety ostentatious. 
That revulsion and perception of showing off also applies to other religions public preening.

What did you think about demonstrating your Muslima credentials in public in a society where this is not the nor? Was there a dose of youthful rebellion in there?

Do you dress to please other people? If we didn't challenge norms, it would still be risqué to show a bit of ankle.

When I was a Muslim, I didn't wear the scarf as an emblem to say "Hey - look at me, everyone. I practice Islam." The hijab is functional - a tool for covering the hair.

freediver wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:22pm:
I'm like that with pants.

Yes, I've heard that happens sometimes when we get old.

I'm looking forward to it.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 5:00pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 4:52pm:
Yes, I've heard that happens sometimes when we get old.

I'm looking forward to it.

If only we could do that with the old boy. With him, we need to get it out, not keep it in.

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 5:55pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 9:47pm:
freediver wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:22pm:
I'm like that with pants.

Freeedom, innit.

I suggest a new poll: Q: should Free Diver change his screen name to Free Willy?

See Profile For Update wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 2:58pm:
Why the bugger did I get stuck on a planet chalked full of imbeciles?

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #34 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 6:51pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 4:52pm:
Soren wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 9:52am:
What makes the observant Christian different is that you cannot tell by looking at her that she is. Christianity is really in the heart, not on the sleeve and people find public demonstration of piety ostentatious. 
That revulsion and perception of showing off also applies to other religions public preening.

What did you think about demonstrating your Muslima credentials in public in a society where this is not the nor? Was there a dose of youthful rebellion in there?

Do you dress to please other people? If we didn't challenge norms, it would still be risqué to show a bit of ankle.

When I was a Muslim, I didn't wear the scarf as an emblem to say "Hey - look at me, everyone. I practice Islam." The hijab is functional - a tool for covering the hair.

The hijab and niqab are religious and social challenges to the norm, otherwise a hat or a cap would do. Public demonstration of the challenge is the main thing, I think, and challenging the non-muslim public sphere is crucial.

If Muslis were to dress in a certain way in private, Muslim spaces, it would be an obviously purely religious attitude. But bringing it to the neutral, nonreligious public space is a challenge to that very norm: neutral, nonreligious, public space.

It is as anachronistic in the west as the hashids' fur hats and frock costs or wearing a kimono to your office job in the city or Sikhs driving cabs with a turban or a PNG highlander applying for a job at Macca's  dressed in nothing but a penis sheath and a bone in his nose to accessorise.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #35 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 7:14pm

Annie, I'm sure you didn't know why you wore the head scarf but Soren has I'm sure enlightened you and made you understand what it's personal significance was to you!   Shocked

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 8:16pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 7:14pm:
Annie, I'm sure you didn't know why you wore the head scarf but Soren has I'm sure enlightened you and made you understand what it's personal significance was to you!   Shocked

Exactly. I am a psychiatrist.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #37 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 8:19pm

Soren wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 8:16pm:

Ah, Freudian, right?  No wonder you're riding roughshod over Annie's views.  Sigmund was as sexist as you've just demonstrated yourself to be. Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #38 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 9:27pm

Brian Ross wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 8:19pm:

you're riding roughshod over Annie's views.  Sigmund was as sexist as you've just demonstrated yourself to be. Roll Eyes

You are throwing stupid accusations around like a madwoman her underwear.

I asked some questions about the motivation to bring religion into the non-religious, neutral public space. Annie can tell me her views on that.
You can too.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 10:04pm

Soren wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 9:27pm:

you're riding roughshod over Annie's views.  Sigmund was as sexist as you've just demonstrated yourself to be. Roll Eyes

The old boy, you see, is a psychiatrist.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 12:19am

Soren wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 9:27pm:

Rather proves Brian's point, I think!  Sexist!   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #41 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 9:10am

Soren wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 6:51pm:
The hijab and niqab are religious and social challenges to the norm, otherwise a hat or a cap would do. Public demonstration of the challenge is the main thing, I think, and challenging the non-muslim public sphere is crucial.

You're imagining opposition. There was no thought as to what other people might think - I made a decision to take a more modest attitude toward my own dress.

Quote:
If Muslis were to dress in a certain way in private, Muslim spaces, it would be an obviously purely religious attitude. But bringing it to the neutral, nonreligious public space is a challenge to that very norm: neutral, nonreligious, public space.

It isn't a challenge. It's a personal dress choice - that's all it boils down to.

The objection to a woman choosing to cover her hair is strange. Do you have such strong opinions on bikinis and mini skirts? People should be free to dress how they choose as long as they aren't breaking any laws. You don't get to decide.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

JC Denton
Gold Member

Reply #42 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 9:15am

you guys are still going on about this? how long has it been now? 6 years?

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #43 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 9:34am

Annie Anthrax wrote on Sep 19th, 2014 at 9:10am:
. Do you have such strong opinions on bikinis

Away from the beach, yes.

Quote:
and mini skirts? People should be free to dress how they choose as long as they aren't breaking any laws. You don't get to decide.

Mini skirts are not expressions of religious devotion (it's more a matter of taste and quite often it is in bad taste, like so many other expressions of 'individualty').

My main point is that the public space is neutral, non-religious, non-ideological and SO it can be shared by all.
In this neutral space there is toleration only where that which is disapproved is also allowed.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #44 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 9:35am

JC Denton wrote on Sep 19th, 2014 at 9:15am:
you guys are still going on about this? how long has it been now? 6 years?

Where have you been? What have you done?
Not in Dubbo still, I hope.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print