Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Personal abuse of others… (Read 16290 times)
King FriYAY II
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Personal abuse of others…
Sep 15th, 2014 at 9:08am

Sometimes it’s just so hard not to tell a person idiot it's an person idiot....

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Personal abuse of others…
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 12:00pm

Keep abusing people then if it's too hard for you to stop. I've seen so many people walk away from here because they can't deal with it any longer - so you and other likeminded people who enjoy making personal attacks will at least help cut down on the complaints to moderators by eliminating the protesters.

Worthwhile contributors are forced to leave simply because there's too much abuse now to complain to the moderators. A member has just left today for this very reason. It's happening on both sides of politics.

The difference between FD's two boards has always been the level of moderation. What I can't figure out is why so many members who enjoy abusing others stay here instead of heading over to PA where they can say whatever they please to another member. Why spoil it here for those who want some moderation and don't want to be subject to continual personal insults?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 12:16pm

apparently pointing out flaws in peoples arguments, or questioning their tactics amounts to bullying  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Andrei is watching me  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 2:07pm

mantra wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 12:00pm:
Keep abusing people then if it's too hard for you to stop. I've seen so many people walk away from here because they can't deal with it any longer - so you and other likeminded people who enjoy making personal attacks will at least help cut down on the complaints to moderators by eliminating the protesters.

Worthwhile contributors are forced to leave simply because there's too much abuse now to complain to the moderators. A member has just left today for this very reason. It's happening on both sides of politics.

The difference between FD's two boards has always been the level of moderation. What I can't figure out is why so many members who enjoy abusing others stay here instead of heading over to PA where they can say whatever they please to another member. Why spoil it here for those who want some moderation and don't want to be subject to continual personal insults?

Which member mantra??

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

King FriYAY II
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 4:05pm

Take today!

How many brain dead tools are laying crap on Abbott for the Iraq deal – forgetting that he does so with the ALP’s full support?

Drop kicks like this need to be abused for their own good.

Wink

Grin

IP Logged

Team Froggie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #5 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 8:27pm

King FriYAY II wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 4:05pm:
Take today!

How many brain dead tools are laying crap on Abbott for the Iraq deal – forgetting that he does so with the ALP’s full support?

Wink

Grin

So you are saying that one has to blindly follow what their Party says???

Probably explains the problem with LNP supporters.....
Can't think for themselves!!

Wink

"What's in store for me in the direction I don't take?"-Jack Kerouac.

IP Logged

King FriYAY II
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 3:53pm

Team Froggie wrote on Sep 16th, 2014 at 8:27pm:
King FriYAY II wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 4:05pm:
Take today!

Wink

Grin

So you are saying that one has to blindly follow what their Party says???

Probably explains the problem with LNP supporters.....
Can't think for themselves!!

Wink

No, idiot, I’m saying they should be lambasting Shorten as well as Abbott.

As for the next dumb line is that directed at me?

Me who wants a CT and a mining tax?

Me who doesn’t want the petrol tax and thinks the PPL is too generous?

Me who thinks the doctor co-payment is way to high?

Me who never voted LIB in the 1st smacking place?

Roll Eyes

IP Logged

gone
Gold Member

Australian Politics

somewhere
Reply #7 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 5:13pm

If you open your mouth and have an opinion, you cannot expect anyone else standing up for you. We have to stand up for ourselves. The world is full of lowlife bullies. And the world is full of backstabbers who will take advantage of any bit of weakness you show. That's just life.

Some of the best advice I ever received from an old wise man: "Folly must be laughed off". Bullies are fools. Laugh them off.

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #8 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:22pm

I agree with eagle_eyes.

If you can't handle being abused, ridiculed and all of that jazz you shouldn't be on a forum in the first place.

Nothing would be what it is,
Because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary-wise - what it is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would.
You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 8:30pm

gone wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 5:13pm:
If you open your mouth and have an opinion, you cannot expect anyone else standing up for you. We have to stand up for ourselves. The world is full of lowlife bullies. And the world is full of backstabbers who will take advantage of any bit of weakness you show. That's just life. Some of the best advice I ever received from an old wise man: "Folly must be laughed off". Bullies are fools. Laugh them off.

In theory that sounds good, but in reality it doesn't work so well. Bullies are fools, but they are nasty fools and make a forum generally unpleasant when it doesn't have to be that way.

Freedumb wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:22pm:
If you can't handle being abused, ridiculed and all of that jazz you shouldn't be on a forum in the first place.

Why can't we expect civility instead of abuse and ridicule? Why does it have to be a condition of an online forum that we accept personal abuse? Most forum members would probably be quite polite in reality, but because they're anonymous they believe they can say what they please without boundaries. 

What's the point of rules if people can't at least try to adhere to them? They are guidelines for behaviour and when they're ignored, a forum, home or workplace will usually become dysfunctional.

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #10 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 8:49pm

mantra wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 8:30pm:
gone wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 5:13pm:
If you open your mouth and have an opinion, you cannot expect anyone else standing up for you. We have to stand up for ourselves. The world is full of lowlife bullies. And the world is full of backstabbers who will take advantage of any bit of weakness you show. That's just life. Some of the best advice I ever received from an old wise man: "Folly must be laughed off". Bullies are fools. Laugh them off.

In theory that sounds good, but in reality it doesn't work so well. Bullies are fools, but they are nasty fools and make a forum generally unpleasant when it doesn't have to be that way.

Freedumb wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 7:22pm:

Why can't we expect civility instead of abuse and ridicule? Why does it have to be a condition of an online forum that we accept personal abuse? Most forum members would probably be quite polite in reality, but because they're anonymous they believe they can say what they please without boundaries. 

What's the point of rules if people can't at least try to adhere to them? They are guidelines for behaviour and when they're ignored, a forum, home or workplace will usually become dysfunctional.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing more in the world that I'd want; civility.
It isn't a condition, it's more of a self-preservation because even though we are taught to have morals and obey basic rules that would enforce civility, many people don't actually care about morals e.g respect for others and being civil, nor do they care for rules.
This isn't the real world, but a virtual manifestation of the real world. We take everything that we are as people and type it into a box, broadcasting it to others on this forum. Yes, anonymity certainly helps those "keyboard warriors" who act all tough and smug online when in reality they wouldn't do it half as much because they lack the balls.
Now in the real world, laws are always broken, on a daily basis whether that is killing somebody, drink-driving, stealing, etc. They have no regard for the law nor do they have morals, or rather they have their own which doesn't match up to the international, politically accepted moral that we are taught in schools and by our elders when we are children.
So what can you do? The next step is self-preservation, which is a training of the mind to care not what some fool on a different computer in a different state types to you. Have some self-respect, do not let the fool win -- or better yet, don't play the silly tit for tat game that they've initiated -- prove that you are better, or perhaps much wiser, by taking the abuse as simple meaningless nothingness that has nothing to do with you.
Now if someone is going to great lengths, e.g stalking/hacking you then it becomes a serious matter. But a trading of petty insults is reminiscent of the first year you attend primary school -- it matters at the time, but how often do you look back on that and think, how ridiculous? Why did I waste my energy even reacting to that?
What's the point of rules? I ask myself that on a daily basis. I see it in the workplace -- people continuously break rules but nothing is ever said or done about it because these rule breakers use their "rights" and become the victim rather than the prey. The scumbag element of this country are using the good-willed people's recognition of "rights" to their own sick advantage, and in the end it will ruin it for everybody, even the truly innocent. But this is going off-track here.
In a perfect world, civility is ideal. But it's very naïve and delusional to think that it can be achieved, unless of course you grab a group of like-minded people and disappear into isolation, much like the Tibetans, who, interestingly, suffered a horrid fate by the Chinese government because of their actions.
So the best thing to do is accept this -- you can still be peaceful, in your mind, and work towards civility -- don't give up on it -- but in situations like this forum, self-preservation is your best bet. It actually makes me a little sad, and peeves me that somebody can feel that dejected and ridiculed that they feel like they have to stop using a community like this.
mantra: if you are in contact with this person, please forward this post to said person.

Nothing would be what it is,
Because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary-wise - what it is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would.
You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #11 - Sep 17th, 2014 at 10:40pm

What I can't figure out is why so many members who enjoy abusing others stay here instead of heading over to PA where they can say whatever they please to another member. Why spoil it here for those who want some moderation and don't want to be subject to continual personal insults?

Probably because they have a bigger 'audience' here.

I don't know much about the PA forum but, from what I've read, I kinda suspect no-one goes there (apart from the members, of course).

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 6:04am

Freedumb wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 8:49pm:
Now in the real world, laws are always broken, on a daily basis whether that is killing somebody, drink-driving, stealing, etc. They have no regard for the law nor do they have morals, or rather they have their own which doesn't match up to the international, politically accepted moral that we are taught in schools and by our elders when we are children.So what can you do? The next step is self-preservation, which is a training of the mind to care not what some fool on a different computer in a different state types to you. Have some self-respect, do not let the fool win -- or better yet, don't play the silly tit for tat game that they've initiated -- prove that you are better, or perhaps much wiser, by taking the abuse as simple meaningless nothingness that has nothing to do with you. Now if someone is going to great lengths, e.g stalking/hacking you then it becomes a serious matter. But a trading of petty insults is reminiscent of the first year you attend primary school -- it matters at the time, but how often do you look back on that and think, how ridiculous? Why did I waste my energy even reacting to that?

Well said.

Quote:
certainly helps those "keyboard warriors" who act all tough and smug online when in reality they wouldn't do it half as much because they lack the balls.

True, but times are changing. More websites are becoming less tolerant of foul and abusive material being posted and laws are evolving to support them.

Keyboard warriors have had it too easy for a long time and instead of ignoring them, more people need  to stand up to their bullying tactics and take some affirmative action to deter them.

Carl D wrote on Sep 17th, 2014 at 10:40pm:
I don't know much about the PA forum but, from what I've read, I kinda suspect no-one goes there (apart from the members, of course).

It still gets read by a few people, but it takes a certain type of resilience to post there which the average person doesn't have.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 8:06am

Abusing people is a choice that each of us make. I don't make someone abuse me, just like, I cannot stop them - well at least on a forum that is...

What others CHOOSE to do is up to them. The choices that we make says more about us than anything else.

Further, no one is above making that choice, it seems though, some are more ready to make that choice more frequently than others - this still says more about them though.

Bottom line is though, we ALL make that choice to varying degrees at some point or another.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 10:00am

Phemanderac wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 8:06am:
Abusing people is a choice that each of us make. I don't make someone abuse me, just like, I cannot stop them - well at least on a forum that is...

What others CHOOSE to do is up to them. The choices that we make says more about us than anything else.

Further, no one is above making that choice, it seems though, some are more ready to make that choice more frequently than others - this still says more about them though.

Bottom line is though, we ALL make that choice to varying degrees at some point or another.

so what you are saying is.. our actions are what matters .. not the other persons...

thats all well and good.. but what if YOUR actions make no difference to the stalker/aubuser..

what then?.......

in fact they get worse.. they even get little gangs to join in the abuse...... all in the name of humour of course... it isnt until your at the end of this "humour" you realise how painful it is.

yes I am human and have been known to do this type of thing.. without appreciating the result I think SOB may have been at the receiving end..

but I hope I am learning...and I have had the decency to apologise to SOb when he was on the forum..he too may have been driven away thanks to the bullies....

I would suggest its not the rules at fault   its the consequences of breaking the rules thats at fault...

the forum owners have been able to deal with swearing..good on them...but isnt it about time they had a limit to how many times a person can be banned for doing the same thing....maybe 3 bans and your gone for good...

abusing/name calling  politicians isnt a crime...but abusing/name calling/swearing at  someone for having an opinion....should be after all this forum is all about having an opinion...

whats the point of it otherwise.. cut and pasting?????????????

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
Send Topic Print