Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bogan Names for Boys and Girls (Read 2449 times)
Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Bogan Names for Boys and Girls
Sep 12th, 2014 at 9:13am

BOGAN BOY NAMES

1. Anfernee

When you take an entirely respectable name like Anthony and deform it so it sounds like you’re missing your front teeth, you gots to be bogan.

2. Ashtyn

This beaut is a top-notch example of the bogan trend that consists in misspelling names to be unique. But this one is a step up given that it’s a twist on the already boganesque name Ashton.

3. Beejay

There are so many bogue aspects to this one! It’s an initial-name (BJ) that stands for something lewd (do I have to spell it out for you?) and is then spelt out in full. Oh dear.

4. Cruz

Bogans love celebrity baby names, so this chillax (groan) moniker, chosen by both the Beckhams and Lleyton Hewitt, for their sons is a popular choice.

5. Haze

Whether it refers to the strain of cannabis known as purple haze or the smoky atmospheric phenomenon, this name is a murky choice.

6. Holden

What better way to pay tribute to your beloved ute than to name your firstborn after it? If you’re real lucky, he was even conceived in the tray. Now there’s a story for his 21st.

7. Kash

Ah, a misspell of the already mega-bogan, money-grubbing name Cash. You’d better be ready for a massive five-finger dollar-sign ring and a gold tooth on this kid.

BOGAN GIRL NAMES

1. Caprice

French for “impulsive change of mind”, Caprice recalls a shiny Holden sedan and a clear-stilettoed stripper all at once. Not the classiest associations to be made with your daughter, but each to their own.

2. Cheyenne

Meaning “people of a different language” in Sioux, this somehow comes off as more trailer-park chic than elegantly exotic when it’s carried by a bleached blonde who says “youse”.

3. Jorja

At first glance, this looks like a sexy Spanish name — until you realise it’s just a misspelt version of Georgia. El sigh.

4. Nevaeh

Heaven spelt backwards. Need I say more?

5. Princ’ess

As if naming your daughter Princess isn’t bad enough, you also feel the need to insert a completely random apostrophe in the middle of it? Similar specimens include D’Lilah and Al’xandra, but at least the apostrophe actually replaces a letter in these cases. (NB: that’s what apostrophes do).

6. Rybekkah

I’ll overlook the gross misspelling of this one and zero in on the use of the double consonant. Why? Are two K’s really better than one? Apparently yes, and two X’s can be too. Just ask Foxx’s parents.

7. Shiraz

Unless you’re Persian, in which case this is a totally legit first name, you’re just begging to have your daughter labelled Queen of the Bogans. And please don’t even consider naming her sister Chardonnay.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/lifestyle/parenting/bogan-baby-names-for-boys-and-...

Any Others you know?

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Re: Bogan Names for Boys and Girls
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 9:22am

Bogan boys often seem to have last names for first names.  ie Mason, Cooper, Fletcher etc.  But when I'm talking about the sterotypical little poo, my go-to name is Jaiden. 

And for Girls, it's some variation on Taylor.  ie Tayla, Shayla, Taylee etc.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 9:29am

It's not just bogans....it's also very popular with the 'hipster' and trendy types.

Take normal name, stick in a few extra letters ( Simon spelt as Siiimon), or change a few letters around i.e change Brendan to Braydan and be the envy of the others in the cafe clatch

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 9:40am

Harley, can't go past that one...

It also knows no gender boundaries...

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 9:43am

Phemanderac wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 9:40am:
Harley, can't go past that one...

It also knows no gender boundaries...

havent seen any male APPLES yet? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 11:19am

gizmo_2655 wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 9:29am:
It's not just bogans....it's also very popular with the 'hipster' and trendy types.

Take normal name, stick in a few extra letters ( Simon spelt as Siiimon), or change a few letters around i.e change Brendan to Braydan and be the envy of the others in the cafe clatch

Yes, but they don't tend to breed in their natural environment - they move well out of the area. Witness the almost complete lack of prams and toddlers in Newtown, Darlinghurst, Chippendale, Glebe, Surry Hills etc.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 11:21am

... wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 9:22am:
Bogan boys often seem to have last names for first names.  ie Mason, Cooper, Fletcher etc.  But when I'm talking about the sterotypical little poo, my go-to name is Jaiden. 

And for Girls, it's some variation on Taylor.  ie Tayla, Shayla, Taylee etc. 

Taylah is the one that gets me.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 12:14pm

Grin What a great Topic.

Bogan : the Melbournian version of the Sydney 'Westie' that was more prevalent during the 70's & 80's.

It's amazing what the MEDIA breeds in this (Sahul) part of the World.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Alinta
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 12:26pm

"Taylah is the one that gets me."

Yep...somehow adding the h makes it more ugly.

I'll add Meshel to the list..... 

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 4:50pm

Life_goes_on wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 11:19am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 9:29am:

Yes, but they don't tend to breed in their natural environment - they move well out of the area. Witness the almost complete lack of prams and toddlers in Newtown, Darlinghurst, Chippendale, Glebe, Surry Hills etc.

Oh yes they do...

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 7:11pm

Vic wrote on Sep 12th, 2014 at 9:13am:
6. Holden

What better way to pay tribute to your beloved ute than to name your firstborn after it? If you’re real lucky, he was even conceived in the tray. Now there’s a story for his 21st.

This is actually an alright name. What I would find despicable is something like "Holdin" or "Holdan."

Name heresy is a despicable sin and you shall be punished in your afterlife for it.

5. Princ’ess

As if naming your daughter Princess isn’t bad enough, you also feel the need to insert a completely random apostrophe in the middle of it? Similar specimens include D’Lilah and Al’xandra, but at least the apostrophe actually replaces a letter in these cases. (NB: that’s what apostrophes do).

This has to be the weirdest one of all.

Any Others you know?

The ones I abhor most are the ones based on actual, "classically spelt" names. I can't really remember them off the top of my head, but you know them when you see them, because when you do, you start wondering if the parents can actually spell.

A crude example would be "Katee" instead of "Katie."

Maybe I could think of a few more . . . I'll try. Here it goes . . .  Cool

Jordyn or Jordin instead of "Jordan."

Kathryn or Cathryn instead of "Catherine."

Leann instead of Leanne. Well, I'm not really sure which one is the right spelling.

Janis instead of Janice.

Jon instead of John.

Barrie instead of Barry.

Carrie, Carey, Kerry. Kerry seems to be the most correct.

Teyla or Tayla instead of Taylor

Jared and Jarrod. Not sure which one is right.

Matt instead of Matthew.

Karol instead of Carol.

Teri instead of Teresa

Angelika or Anjelika (actually I've never seen these variations, just made them up -- Murphy's Law Cheesy) instead of Angelica

Erika instead of Erica

Kane or Cane instead of Cain.

IP Logged

jockohomo3d

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 7:15pm

here's some for the snots-

Carson
Carter
Brock
or
William
Henry
Harris

for girls unisex nameslike
Madison
Addison
Courtney
Ashley
Cameron
or really feminie
Ella
Sophie
Claire
Chantal
felicity
paris

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 7:17pm

Does anyone want to join the Mnemonic Sect of Classical Human Pronouns? Cheesy

I assure you it follows the right path. It is the path of guaranteed social harmony.

Your afterlife will be guaranteed.

IP Logged

sherri
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 9:44pm

The ones I hated (as a teacher) were the ones where the parents mucked up the spelling, just to be different.
I find it so affected.

I forget the exact spelling of one of them but it went along the lines of Breeaannar

And I didn't think the name Atilla was all that captivating for one of the boys.
Maybe it's my age but each time I went to say his name I had to stop myself from adding 'The Hun".

But first prize has to go to two brothers who had boganish first names, followed by Luke skywalker as a second name for one boy and another star wars character for the other.
Not impressed.

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 10:18pm

One of the worst consequences of "misspelt" given names is when someone first introduces it orally/verbally and you are about to write it down.

Imagine the dialogue:

Person A is the one writing down the name. Person B is being asked their name.

Person A: What is your name, please?

Person B: It's "Erica."

Person A proceeds to write down "Erica" on the form or list of names.

Person B, realising the misunderstanding, issues a correction.

Person B: Actually, it's E.R.I.K.A.

Person A: Oh.

Person A, a little annoyed, crosses out or erases the "misspelt" name (Erica) and writes "Erika" instead.

I don't know what inspires these human pronoun heresies. Is it those wretched hippies again?

Bring back the Spelling Nazis, for goodness' sake.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print