Union (Read 3535 times)
Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Union
Reply #15 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 4:44pm

gone wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 5:40pm:
I find that most couples - married or in unmarried "relationships" - aren't really in love. Very few couples are in a real love-marriage, whereas the the love was natural from the beginning, sealed with a commitment for life. More often than not the women are effectively prostituted to a single permanent customer...and the men are enslaved in their jobs...

Marriage isn't supposed to be prostitution or slavery. It's supposed to be a lifelong endeavour, not a business transaction. Prostitution is a business. It is a transaction. Marriage is not a transaction, so maybe it isn't prostitution. For it to be slavery, you would have to be property and lack autonomy. But husbands aren't owned, they're just in a contract, just like contractors and employees. They have autonomy. They can quit their job (get a divorce), so it's not really slavery. Besides that, consider what happens before the marriage even starts. You can choose not to marry someone. Slavery is something forced on you. People aren't forced into marriage. They choose it for themselves.

But more importantly, there is "honour" behind marriage. People got married in the past because they believed there was something "honourable" and "noble" about it. Marriage is like a marathon or some sports exercise or endurance test. Some people fail or quit. Those who keep going are doing it for the prestige and pride of staying in the race.

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #16 - Sep 14th, 2014 at 5:06pm

cods wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 8:29am:
how do you define LOVE.? impossible....

not every one marries for LOVE..in a perfect world yes they would...just to have that moment .

some dont realise how much they did love that person until they lose them..

dont forget this soulmate talk is all new jargon....

It's a tragedy in today's world that people think of "love" as about liking someone or about a feeling, rather than what you do for someone that makes them feel a certain way.

I think the tragic, one-dimensional view of love as about your feelings and about liking someone that prevails in today's society is due to the loss of old-fashioned values like honour, faith and loyalty.

Faith - you have to believe in what you're doing.

Honour - you must know what you need to do and do it, despite the risks or the costs involved, despite what you know you might lose. It's like a soldier dying for his country. He knows he might die if he charges forward with his bayonet and faces enemy fire. But he also knows that if he doesn't do his job, the army he is part of might be defeated. If every soldier ran in the face of danger, the battle will be lost. In life and in "love," a person must know what they need to do and do it.

Loyalty - stick to those you care about and don't waver. Honour and cherish them and they will honour and cherish you. If you stumble and fall, keep going back. Don't take someone else's weakness or failure as a reason to give up. If everyone gives up, nobody succeeds, so someone has to keep going and keep trying.

The idea that you have to like someone or have feelings for them is a serious diversion in today's world away from healthy relationships. It's this naive pursuit of something that is inherently unstable: emotions and hormones.

I am not saying we should think like Star Trek Vulcans, but I do think that if we focused on things that were a little less "emotional" like honour, faith and loyalty, relationships might last longer. Of course, honour, faith and loyalty aren't completely "non-emotional," but they aren't completely "non-logical" either. The basic idea is to stick to your values rather than let your heart guide you, because by following your emotions, you will almost certainly stray from the path one day.

Emotions are simply too weak. Emotions without values and proper discipline is the cause of a lot of marital breakdowns IMO.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 10:14pm

Freedumb wrote on Sep 11th, 2014 at 7:42pm:
Yes, a relationship is certainly a trap in that regard. It makes you blind.  Wink

I am happy to be single, it means I get to keep my brain.

I thought being single was what makes one blind?
I sure felt like that a number of times when things were getting a bit hard when alone...  Cool

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #18 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 10:45pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 10:14pm:
Yes, a relationship is certainly a trap in that regard. It makes you blind.  Wink

I sure felt like that a number of times when things were getting a bit hard when alone...  Cool

Hahahaha, maybe blind drunk.
My cure for being lonely is owning a pet. At least they don't talk   Wink

Nothing would be what it is,
Because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary-wise - what it is, it wouldn't be.
And what it wouldn't be, it would.
You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #19 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 10:47pm

Mnemonic wrote on Sep 14th, 2014 at 5:06pm:
cods wrote on Sep 6th, 2014 at 8:29am:
how do you define LOVE.? impossible....

not every one marries for LOVE..in a perfect world yes they would...just to have that moment .

some dont realise how much they did love that person until they lose them..

dont forget this soulmate talk is all new jargon....

It's a tragedy in today's world that people think of "love" as about liking someone or about a feeling, rather than what you do for someone that makes them feel a certain way.

I think the tragic, one-dimensional view of love as about your feelings and about liking someone that prevails in today's society is due to the loss of old-fashioned values like honour, faith and loyalty.

Faith - you have to believe in what you're doing.

Honour - you must know what you need to do and do it, despite the risks or the costs involved, despite what you know you might lose. It's like a soldier dying for his country. He knows he might die if he charges forward with his bayonet and faces enemy fire. But he also knows that if he doesn't do his job, the army he is part of might be defeated. If every soldier ran in the face of danger, the battle will be lost. In life and in "love," a person must know what they need to do and do it.

Loyalty - stick to those you care about and don't waver. Honour and cherish them and they will honour and cherish you. If you stumble and fall, keep going back. Don't take someone else's weakness or failure as a reason to give up. If everyone gives up, nobody succeeds, so someone has to keep going and keep trying.

The idea that you have to like someone or have feelings for them is a serious diversion in today's world away from healthy relationships. It's this naive pursuit of something that is inherently unstable: emotions and hormones.

I am not saying we should think like Star Trek Vulcans, but I do think that if we focused on things that were a little less "emotional" like honour, faith and loyalty, relationships might last longer. Of course, honour, faith and loyalty aren't completely "non-emotional," but they aren't completely "non-logical" either. The basic idea is to stick to your values rather than let your heart guide you, because by following your emotions, you will almost certainly stray from the path one day.

Emotions are simply too weak. Emotions without values and proper discipline is the cause of a lot of marital breakdowns IMO.

Excellent post.
You often see a lot of people going through relationships like underwear and it's because of a lack of everything that is stated in your above post.
Chemistry, I think, is important -- but will mean nothing without faith, loyalty and honour.

You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #20 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 11:09pm

Freedumb wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 10:45pm:

Ha! Funny  Grin

As of last week, I officially own a pussy that I've been feeding for months now.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #21 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 11:13pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 11:09pm:
Freedumb wrote on Sep 15th, 2014 at 10:45pm:

Ha! Funny  Grin

As of last week, I officially own a pussy that I've been feeding for months now.

Riddles again!  Cheesy  Cheesy
I cannot figure out whether you are saying:
a) You've been feeding a stray cat and now you own it or
b) You've been rooting a girl for months and now you're officially in a relationship

But either way, congratulations.

You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Sep 15th, 2014 at 11:25pm

Do you want the 'Truth'?  Huh

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #23 - Sep 16th, 2014 at 7:54pm

I love that line. It is what I think of whenever I'm accused of being a tinfoil hat wearer

You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 2:09pm

Well, after 2.5 years of trying (living in the dog-house) to get my marriage back together after stuffing it up.
It is now officially over.

Sad
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2014 at 2:46pm by Jasin »  

janitor.png (69 KB | 73 )
janitor.png

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #25 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 10:02pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 2:09pm:
Well, after 2.5 years of trying (living in the dog-house) to get my marriage back together after stuffing it up.
It is now officially over.

Sad

Aww.  Sad
I am very sorry to hear that. I often think that if you have to try so hard to make something work and if it still doesn't seem to work, it's best to move on and perhaps one day you'll find somebody who you won't have such a hard time making it work again, even with stuff-ups.

You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 10:32pm

Oh well.

So, FreeDumb - whaddaya doing tomorrow night alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the way over there in WA ?
Smiley

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #27 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 10:51pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 10:32pm:
Oh well.

So, FreeDumb - whaddaya doing tomorrow night alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the way over there in WA ?
Smiley

Hahahaha  Cheesy I'll probably be on this god-forsaken forum  Wink
Want to go out on a date? Fringe forum, 7 pm Western time. Wear something nice.  Cheesy

You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Sep 18th, 2014 at 11:23pm

I'll be there at 4pm Eastern ST.
Will be wearing a nice t-shirt depicting heaps of sharks.
Smiley

IP Logged

Freedumb
Gold Member

Australian Politics

WA
Reply #29 - Sep 19th, 2014 at 5:55pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 18th, 2014 at 11:23pm:
I'll be there at 4pm Eastern ST.
Will be wearing a nice t-shirt depicting heaps of sharks.
Smiley

Couldn't make it. I was still at work at that time  Tongue

You see?

- Lewis Carroll

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print