Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
The most stupid tax ever! (Read 4952 times)
Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The most stupid tax ever!
Sep 3rd, 2014 at 6:07am

PRIME Minister Tony Abbott called it correctly. “The mining tax,” he said yesterday, “was possibly the most stupid tax ever devised.” 

Indeed it was. The now-repealed tax was ridiculously cumbersome and damaging to industry, while at the same time bringing in insufficient revenue to cover the various bonuses promised by the previous Labor government. It didn’t win at any level.

The repeal represents a significant victory for the Prime Minister, who yesterday reviewed the nearly-one-year-old government during a party room meeting.

“The boats have all but stopped, the carbon tax has been repealed, the roads and infrastructure expenditure is being rolled out and the budget is coming back under control,” Abbott said.

On that last point, one potentially contentious element of the mining tax’s repeal is the associated delay in superannuation increases. Currently set at 9.5 per cent of employee wages, government contributions were scheduled to reach 12 per cent by July 2019. That has now been pushed back to mid-2025.

While retirees will definitely lose some anticipated gains, the overall benefit of repealing the mining tax should easily offset this. Nor should Labor get away with blaming the new super schedule on the current government. Treasurer Joe Hockey yesterday reminded parliament that if Labor had agreed to the ­repeal, the super delay would not have been required. “If people think this is going to have a long-term impact on their superannuation, blame Labor,” Hockey said. “This is entirely their fault.”

Labor had a chance to be constructive during the repeal process and blew it, just as Labor blew its chance to be more useful during the repeal of the carbon tax.

And then there are the Greens, who are left fuming over their new and utter irrelevance.

“Within one hour they want to come in here, circulate amendments, just bang them on the desk and say it doesn’t matter what you think about it, we’ve done the deal, we’ve got the numbers, we can ram it through,” Greens leader ­Christine Milne said yesterday.

We hate to break it to the Senator, but that’s how things work in parliament. Legislation goes with the numbers. To paraphrase the Prime Minister, the Greens might possibly be the most stupid political party ever devised.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/the-numbers-add-up-the-mining-tax-...

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The most stupid tax ever!
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 6:09am

“Within one hour they want to come in here, circulate amendments, just bang them on the desk and say it doesn’t matter what you think about it, we’ve done the deal, we’ve got the numbers, we can ram it through,” Greens leader ­Christine Milne said yesterday.

How many times did Labor and the Greens do that? Hypocrite!!!  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Kytro
Gold Member

Blasphemy: a victimless
crime

Adelaide
Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 6:16am

Armchair_Politician wrote on Sep 3rd, 2014 at 6:09am:

How many times did Labor and the Greens do that? Hypocrite!!!  Grin Grin Grin

That's the nature of the senate, but it does cut both ways. No whinging about the senate being "unreasonable" when it refuses to pass the other reforms.

IP Logged

True Blue...
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 7:14am

Labor have been left out in the cold because they have no idea and no answers to a budget in the Red...

they are wreckers who are doing their best to keep it in the Red and to Keep putting Australia in further debt...

when the Liberals disagreed with Labor on policies at least they put up an alternative policy most of the time...

Labor have got nothing..

Not ONE idea... they are mental midgets..

can you believe people actually vote for these morons>???  Roll Eyes

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"

Benjamin Franklin

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 8:31am

damn, after reading the title I thought for sure this thread was about the GST

only armpit would think it stuoid that miners use our resources and not pay tax on the profits

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 8:48am

True Blue... wrote on Sep 3rd, 2014 at 7:14am:
Labor have got nothing..

Not ONE idea... they are mental midgets..

can you believe people actually vote for these nice people>??? 

Labor is the main party of the Ochlocrats.  PUP aint far behind and the Greens are just regurgitated commies (total-[idiot]-talitarians  Grin)

Wink

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 8:52am

I see the liberals have served their string masters cheered on by the Daily Telegraph cheer squad in this forum. I think for many Australians the image of Joe Hockey's gleeful celebrations at transferring another $6 billion tax burden from the super rich onto the shoulders of working people and the poor will endure for many years to come.

Blu, Abbott read you right.  Feed Blu's obsession to stop brown people coming to this country and you can count on his support for everything else no matter how much we cheat him or his fellow Australians. Just tell him we are gonna stop the boats.  Come on Blu, you know this is what this is all about.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 8:55am

John Smith wrote on Sep 3rd, 2014 at 8:31am:

only armpit would think it stuoid that miners use our resources and not pay tax on the profits

only you think miners don't pay tax.  most people are cleverer than you.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 8:59am

[quote author=John_Smith link=1409688459/4#4 date=1409697104]damn, after reading the title I thought for sure this thread was about the GST

only armpit would think it stuoid that miners use our resources and not pay tax on the profits[/quote] And that cutting $6 billion from the revenue side is somehow balancing the budget. This armpit (AKA LonLiar) fool will just go on repeating the lines fed to him by the Daily Telegraph

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #9 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 9:03am

They already pay tax on their profits Smithy.

They also pay royalties to the states.

They also provide jobs for people that pay tax and business for related industries that employ people that pay tax.

The really stupid act is singling them out for overtaxing and driving them away and losing all the garnishments..

That is (was) the really dopey act.... Tongue

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 9:03am

Labor had both the means and the time to change or abolish the GST during their six years. What does that tell you?

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 9:05am

ImSpartacus2 wrote on Sep 3rd, 2014 at 8:59am:
[quote author=John_Smith link=1409688459/4#4 date=1409697104]damn, after reading the title I thought for sure this thread was about the GST

only armpit would think it stuoid that miners use our resources and not pay tax on the profits[/quote] And that cutting $6 billion from the revenue side is somehow balancing the budget. This armpit (AKA LonLiar) fool will just go on repeating the lines fed to him by the Daily Telegraph

$6B from revenue????  where did you read it was raising that?  it actually raised on a couple hundred million.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 9:05am

ImSpartacus2 wrote on Sep 3rd, 2014 at 8:59am:

You don't double tax an industry that's your bread and butter unless you have a death wish. Evidently, Swan did.

IP Logged

ImSpartacus2
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 9:21am

This guy hockey, who danced at transferring another $6 billion tax burden from the super rich to working people wanted you to believe (when he finally said sorry for his stupid "poor people dont drive remark") that

"All of my life I have fought for and tried to help the most disadvantaged people in the community, and for there to be some suggestion that I had evil in my heart when it comes to the most disadvantaged people in the community is upsetting."  What a slimy slime bag this man is

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #14 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 9:28am

To be honest once the mining tax was introduced mining investment dried up almost over night.....States already pay royalties and the MRRT was poorly designed and implemented.....Now it is gone we will see if investment returns and the sector can recover!!!

Huh Huh Huh

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print