Send Topic Print
the Antarctic bedrock (Read 1688 times)
BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

the Antarctic bedrock
Sep 1st, 2014 at 11:33pm

German researchers have established the height of the Greenland and Antarctic ice caps with greater precision than ever before. The new maps they have produced show that the ice is melting at an unprecedented rate.

The maps, produced with a satellite-mounted instrument, have elevation accuracies to within a few metres. Since Greenland’s ice cap is more than 2,000 metres thick on average, and the Antarctic bedrock supports 61% of the planet’s fresh water, this means that scientists can make more accurate assessments of annual melting.

Dr Veit Helm and other glaciologists at the Alfred Wegener Institute’s Helmholtz Centre for Polar and Marine Research in Bremerhaven, Germany, report in the journal The Cryosphere that, between them, the two ice sheets are now losing ice at the unprecedented rate of 500 cubic kilometres a year.

Overall, the southern continent − 98% of which is covered with ice and snow − is losing 125 cubic km a year. These are the highest rates observed since researchers started making satellite observations 20 years ago.

SOURCE: http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/sep/01/new-satellite-maps-show-polar...

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: the Antarctic bedrock
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 8:22am

There is no known 'precedence' of a civilised 'Species' before Humankind.

Now there will be.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 11:16am

The theory is that stronger polar winds are ablating the Antarctic Ice sheet, increasing the sea ice.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 12:31pm

lee wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 11:16am:
The theory is that stronger polar winds are ablating the Antarctic Ice sheet, increasing the sea ice.

Nice one: the anticyclones off of Antartica are also, by extension of the same idea, not reaching into the continental land mass of Australia like they used to ... leading to the long observed pattern of decreased rainfall in the south of W.A.

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 11:49am

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 12:31pm:
Nice one: the anticyclones off of Antartica are also, by extension of the same idea, not reaching into the continental land mass of Australia like they used to ... leading to the long observed pattern of decreased rainfall in the south of W.A.

Which has been hypothesised as a symptom of AGW.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 2:14pm

lee wrote on Sep 3rd, 2014 at 11:49am:
BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Sep 2nd, 2014 at 12:31pm:

Which has been hypothesised as a symptom of AGW.

Not so sure about that...

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 4:39pm

'Still unknown is why the southern winds have been getting stronger. Some scientists have theorized that it could be related to global warming, or to the ozone depletion in the Southern Hemisphere, or just to natural cycles of variability.'

http://www.washington.edu/news/2013/09/17/stronger-winds-explain-puzzling-growth...

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #7 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 5:05pm

lee wrote on Sep 3rd, 2014 at 4:39pm:
'Still unknown is why the southern winds have been getting stronger. Some scientists have theorized that it could be related to global warming, or to the ozone depletion in the Southern Hemisphere, or just to natural cycles of variability.'

http://www.washington.edu/news/2013/09/17/stronger-winds-explain-puzzling-growth...

Lucky my cousin drinks metho and i know all about strawman-inventing liberal voting cracksmokin' idiots who hate the children...

You got nothing brutha, good luck with that  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

** Black is white don't ya know  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Smiley ... down the garden path the neglected farm boy led his children and wife and oh noes everyone hates the workaholic Mc Mansion family syndrome: how many barrels of oil a day support this nightmare dream nightmare again?

"Neglect"
- that is the theme isn't buddy  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh  Smiley

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 10:13pm

All that PERMAFROST in Asia (Siberia) & North America is accelerating in its meltdown.
Vast amounts of Carbon is being released into the atmosphere. That's x6 times as much released in the same amount of time, as that which has been all man-made.
Throw in the fact that if such comes into contact with moisture - then Methane is released (currently at 10% of what is being released).

I'm sorry people's but I think this planet is stuffed.
They have 'dawdled' too long and now its too late.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 12:11pm

Can you explain why the methane wasn't catastrophically released in previous warmings?

IP Logged

DaS Energy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 5:22pm

lee wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 12:11pm:
Can you explain why the methane wasn't catastrophically released in previous warmings?

Do you have any evidence it was not?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Oct 8th, 2014 at 9:18pm

Methane release into the planet's atmosphere has previously brought about the greatest Mass Extinction of Life on this planet (more so than the Meteor) by 95%.

It's a worrying thing. But hey, how can we make money out of fixing the world - unless we can ruin it first, right?  Huh

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 3:50am

Jasin wrote on Oct 8th, 2014 at 9:18pm:

Methane release into the planet's atmosphere has previously brought about the greatest Mass Extinction of Life on this planet (more so than the Meteor) by 95%.

It's a worrying thing. But hey, how can we make money out of fixing the world - unless we can ruin it first, right?  Huh

I thought economy meant using only what you really really need but apparently we were all taught the wrong thing at school!

Cry Cry

IP Logged

DaS Energy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 10:36am

Jasin wrote on Oct 8th, 2014 at 9:18pm:

From memory this was the time when Planet Earth changed into the ice ball!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Oct 9th, 2014 at 12:22pm

I think you are right DasEnergy (and my you have a long memory  Shocked).

But hey, lets face it - the Budget and Economy are more important! We gotta make money for the Govt to buy more Toys for other people's Wars. !! Tongue

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print