Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
ISIS: Greens well and truly on the outer!!! (Read 3924 times)
Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

ISIS: Greens well and truly on the outer!!!
Sep 1st, 2014 at 12:57pm

Labor has sided with the government in rejecting calls for parliamentary approval of a new Australian military effort in Iraq.Australian defence personnel will within days deliver weapons sourced from eastern Europe to Kurdish forces fighting Islamic State extremists in Iraq's north.

Greens leader Christine Milne on Monday morning moved to suspend the Senate program to debate a motion seeking parliamentary approval for the deployment of troops to Iraq. 'It is time the Australian parliament was brought into this debate,' Senator Milne said.

Labor defence spokesman Stephen Conroy sided with the government, labelling the Greens motion a 'stunt to score cheap political points'. Defence Minister David Johnston said a parliamentary debate would delay the action and put lives at risk just when the Kurdish people needed international support. 'We would not want to see that resistance fail for want of ammunition or other supplies,' Senator Johnston said.

It is unclear how many flights will be needed or whether the supplies will be guarded by armed special forces. Prime Minister Tony Abbott dismissed speculation it could lead to a ground troop deployment. 'What President Obama has said all along - and what I say likewise - is that we are ruling out combat troops on the ground,' Mr Abbott told the Nine Network. Australia would continue to talk to its allies about military involvement 'down the track', but there had been no formal request or decision taken to get further involved, he said.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, who will meet European leaders in Wales to discuss Iraq later this week, said the international coalition had a clear goal 'to contain and ultimately eliminate' the Islamic State organisation and its leadership. While Senator Johnston would not confirm the use of special forces, he said: 'We will take every single precaution to make sure our people are as safe as they can be.'

Speaking before the start of the Greens motion debate, the prime minister dismissed concerns that parliament was not consulted about Australia's involvement. He says 'standard procedure' is for the national security committee of cabinet to consider the matter, then the full cabinet. The opposition leader is also consulted. 'As far as I'm concerned, it always will be thus,' Mr Abbott said.

Senator Milne told parliament few Australians believed Mr Abbott had a clear plan for the Iraq mission. Independent MP Andrew Wilkie said it was 'insane' that the power to approve military action rested with the prime minister and his senior ministers. 'It should be debated in the parliament and the evidence presented, hard evidence presented, so people can make a considered decision,' Mr Wilkie told ABC radio.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said earlier that Labor supported the government's decision to contribute to 'a remarkable act of international co-operation' to assist communities in Iraq with humanitarian relief and weaponry.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-stories/2014/09/01/govt-and-labor-reject-deba...

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: ISIS: Greens well and truly on the outer!!!
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 1:02pm

Quote:
..........Greens leader Christine Milne on Monday morning moved to suspend the Senate program to debate a motion seeking parliamentary approval for the deployment of troops to Iraq. 'It is time the Australian parliament was brought into this debate,' Senator Milne said.......

What does all the nonsense mean ?
She does not even want to discuss it ?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 1:03pm

'It should be debated in the parliament and the evidence presented, hard evidence presented, so people can make a considered decision,' Mr Wilkie told ABC radio.

The national security council (NSC), ASIO, the defence chiefs, the Prime Minister's national security adviser - all these people (and probably more) weigh in on issues such as this and present the facts to the PM of the day. Mr Wilkie would have us believe that no "considered decisions" could be made on any issue relating to the use of our defence force without first running it past him. I've got news for you, Mr Wilkie - you now have about as much influence as the Parliament House janitor since Abbott absolutely beat the living daylights out of Labor almost a year ago. Same goes for you, Christine. Both of you need to pull your heads in!

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 1:05pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 1:02pm:
Quote:
..........Greens leader Christine Milne on Monday morning moved to suspend the Senate program to debate a motion seeking parliamentary approval for the deployment of troops to Iraq. 'It is time the Australian parliament was brought into this debate,' Senator Milne said.......

I don't see the point in debating our involvement in this - UNLESS Milne and Wilkie would intend to say NO to this mission.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 1:19pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 12:57pm:
Labor has sided with the government in rejecting calls for parliamentary approval of a new Australian military effort in Iraq.

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said earlier that Labor supported the government's decision to contribute to 'a remarkable act of international co-operation' to assist communities in Iraq with humanitarian relief and weaponry.

The greens support Islam even when muslims go on a rampage beheading the infidels along with enslaving women and children and stealing the wealth of those who were killed/enslaved

The dopey morally bankrupt Greens hurl slurs like Islamophobe at anyone who is critical of Islamic ideology, of course they support the Islamic state.

Quote:
Richard di Natale

Moreland mayor fans the flames of Islamophobia

richard-di-natale.greensmps.org.au/content/media-releases/moreland-mayor-fans-fl...

The Greens reckon anyone who is critical of the Islamic state must be an Islamophobe

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #5 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 1:42pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 1:02pm:
Quote:

Milne is the new 'Nero'

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #6 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 3:36pm

So the whole budget emergency thing turned out to be another Abbott lie?

If not...how can we afford to give money to Muslims on the other side of the globe while our own govt is cutting basic education, health and pension funding to its own people?

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 3:40pm

adelcrow wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 3:36pm:

If not...how can we afford to give money to Muslims on the other side of the globe while our own govt is cutting basic education, health and pension funding to its own people?

Umm, we're not giving them any money. We're delivering arms supplied by the US and other countries such as the UK, France, Canada, etc.

IP Logged

adelcrow
Gold Member

Australian Politics

everywhere
Reply #8 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:07pm

Armchair_Politician wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 3:40pm:
adelcrow wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 3:36pm:

Umm, we're not giving them any money. We're delivering arms supplied by the US and other countries such as the UK, France, Canada, etc.

I think you'll find that the yanks have plenty of planes, personnel and money while we are facing the biggest budget crises in our history...well thats what Abbott and Hockey are saying

Go the Bunnies

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:17pm

Firstly, I disagree with Wilkie to some degree that it should be debated, the GG has the constitutional authority to deploy our military and navy - without debate. That said, it would seem that the PM has made said decision...

Then there is this from the OP;

"Prime Minister Tony Abbott dismissed speculation it could lead to a ground troop deployment. 'What President Obama has said all along - and what I say likewise - is that we are ruling out combat troops on the ground,' Mr Abbott told the Nine Network."

I am sure that Mr Abbott stated that he was deploying members of the Australian SAS to "personally deliver" the weapons to ensure they get into the right (hmm, that might have been Right I can neither confirm nor deny) hands.

No, I do not have a link for that, but I was certain I heard that comment on the radio recently.

Now, I understand that security aspect of making a decision to hand deliver weapons, and, arguably, that could be backed up fairly easily with sound reasoning, however, it makes comments about troops on the ground a bit dodgy. If members of Australia's SAS (arguably amongst some of the best trained in the business) do not constitute "troops on the ground" then the English language has certainly had some extremely significant changes in the last few weeks....

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

sir prince duke alevine
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:19pm

Another thread armpit?

Disclaimer for Mothra per POST so it is forever acknowledged: Saying 'Islam' or 'Muslims' doesn't mean ALL muslims. This does not target individual muslims who's opinion I am not aware of.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:23pm

All things considered though....

I think relegating ourselves (or anyone else for that matter) to weapon running delivery boys is nothing short of foolhardy antagonism...

I don't disagree that it is appropriate (probably) for us to help out the people we are presuming to help out. Clearly though, our previous "help" in these sovereign matters has generally equated to nothing more than unhelpful interference. Not the fault of our troops there by the way, but their inept masters.

Since it would seem that we must act, then being half arsed about it is more than a bit stupid and not to mention provocative. Since anything short of whole sale appeasement could be argued as provocative by some, my thinking is, if we are going to commit, then over commit. Do the job thoroughly and without prejudice. If nothing else, that will send a very clear message that, if a fight does come our way, we are quite clear about using our maximum capacity to pull that up.

Don't get me wrong, I would much prefer to live in a world without war, but that is wholly unrealistic. As such, if we are going to engage, it is simply poor strategy to go in half pace and that will end in far more tears than going all out.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:23pm

Phemanderac wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:17pm:
Firstly, I disagree with Wilkie to some degree that it should be debated, the GG has the constitutional authority to deploy our military and navy - without debate. That said, it would seem that the PM has made said decision...

Then there is this from the OP;

"Prime Minister Tony Abbott dismissed speculation it could lead to a ground troop deployment. 'What President Obama has said all along - and what I say likewise - is that we are ruling out combat troops on the ground,' Mr Abbott told the Nine Network."

I am sure that Mr Abbott stated that he was deploying members of the Australian SAS to "personally deliver" the weapons to ensure they get into the right (hmm, that might have been Right I can neither confirm nor deny) hands.

No, I do not have a link for that, but I was certain I heard that comment on the radio recently.

Now, I understand that security aspect of making a decision to hand deliver weapons, and, arguably, that could be backed up fairly easily with sound reasoning, however, it makes comments about troops on the ground a bit dodgy. If members of Australia's SAS (arguably amongst some of the best trained in the business) do not constitute "troops on the ground" then the English language has certainly had some extremely significant changes in the last few weeks....

That is correct.  A serious part of the Kurd military is a mob called PKK ~ 5,000 - 6,000 strong which has been declared as a terrorist group and to supply them is an offence against Australian Law.  The stupid contrivance Abbott is using to (seemingly) avoid that is this business about personal delivery ~ as if some digger is going to know whether the Arab he is handing weapons over to is PKK or not.

'Are you PKK.'

'Nah.'

'Bewdy.  Here ya go.'

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:23pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:19pm:
Another thread armpit? 

Well maybe something wasn't Right with the first ones...

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:25pm

sir prince duke alevine wrote on Sep 1st, 2014 at 4:19pm:
Another thread armpit? 

I tried that Alevine.  Failed to get any interest from FD or the Mods even though it is up there ^^^^^^ in lights that FD does not want these absurd duplications.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print