Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18
Send Topic Print
What I watched last night (Read 58464 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Re: What I watched last night
Reply #75 - Apr 21st, 2016 at 7:42am

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Apr 20th, 2016 at 1:17am:
bogarde73 wrote on Aug 26th, 2014 at 10:45am:
Helen Mirren in The Queen. What a great movie, what a great actress.
Couldn't get over how they came up with the Blair look-a-likes. Also confirmed me in my belief that Tony was a good guy.
Had to get out the hanky for Diana's funeral, wtf I'm a bloke, I don't do that.

Recently also watched The Iron Lady again. Watch it from time to time to remind me what a real leader is like.

I cry during the ads and am proud of it!

Maybe not exactly proud but,  Shocked ShockedRoll Eyes                           .... Huh Huh Huh whatevs  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Nothing at all wrong with emotion.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #76 - Apr 28th, 2016 at 1:17pm

East of Eden with James Dean. Never seen it before and quite enjoyed it. Boy was he a loss to the cinema world. Gone too soon.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #77 - May 28th, 2016 at 8:01am

Public Enemy, with Depp as bank robber John Dillinger. Its dreadful, as most Hollywood movies are these days. The gun fights and car chases are totally ridiculous. Dillinger dies whispering his girlfriend's name. Oh, pa ...lease! Don't bother, this one stinks.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #78 - May 29th, 2016 at 8:16am

I watched an episode of Scott & Bailey. I don't like police shows as a rule but I make an exception for this one.
I like:
1 the way Scott does her interviews, just gradually & clinically working the questions around till she gets the answers
2 the way they run the team planning sessions, getting it all done so quickly & efficiently
3. The frenetic pace of the senior woman, no wonder she has to drink
4 the shambles of Bailey's succession of love lives and her life generally

Good production compressed into an hour
Wouldn't miss it.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #79 - May 29th, 2016 at 8:43am

One common element in Police Shows that I find juvenile, is dialogue written in a supercilious tone. It is often used in scenes where suspects are interviewed. Its just bad writing.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #80 - May 29th, 2016 at 1:51pm

Have you ever seen Scott & Bailey?

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #81 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 5:16am

I just found "The strange calls", no wonder you watch so much American TV.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #82 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 7:56am

I watched, for maybe the 3rd time, The Servant with Dirk Bogarde & directed by Jo Losey.
I suppose it comes into what they called the New Wave of British films.
It's a pretty dark story of the slow corruption of a young upper class Englishman by his manservant and his girlfriend.
So well acted and moodily filmed in b/w with the jazz of Johnny Dankworth fitting so well.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #83 - Jul 2nd, 2016 at 10:10am

Summer Hours - a French movie about the death of a parent and the sale of the family home and treasured possessions by the widely dispersed family.
Very good, the kind of thing the French do well.
But it left me sad if not depressed.
Life moves on.

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #84 - Jul 5th, 2016 at 10:12pm

Night Train to Munich: for those not familiar with it, a 1940 British thriller starring Rex Harrison and Margaret Lockwood, with a not entirely believable storyline about a British secret agent (Harrison) rescuing a scientist and his daughter (Lockwood) from the clutches of the Nazis.  With a slightly similar plotline and some of the cast (Lockwood and Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne) also having appeared in The Lady Vanishes, it is inevitably compared (usually unfavourably) with the earlier film.  It is, nevertheless, good entertainment if you like films of the 1930s and 1940s.  The climax of the film, with the escape across the border to Switzerland, is probably the best part of the film.  I hadn't seen this film for many years and enjoyed watching it again although, given a choice between the two, I would rather watch The Lady Vanishes.

Nothing But The Truth: Not the 1941 remake starring Bob Hope, but the 1929 one starring Richard Dix.  Both films, incidentally, bear a significant resemblance to the execrable Jim Carrey's film, Liar, Liar, but I digress.  The quality of the picture and sound on the copy of the film I had was poor, which detracted from the viewing experience and, although it was a fairly enjoyable film to watch, I think it might be more appropriate to describe it as an interesting relic rather than as a great film.  If the quality of the copy was better, I might watch it again but, as it was, I think that will be my one and only viewing of it.  It is only idle speculation on my part, but I can't help wondering what Tom Walls, Ralph Lynn and Robertson Hare could have made out of this material.  It was rather like an Aldwych farce in some ways.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #85 - Jul 7th, 2016 at 4:21pm

I've seen Night Train to Munich a long time ago, dimly remember it. Good movie for its time. As I remember it captured the dark fearful mood of the times pretty well.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #86 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 8:09pm

Bleak House, the BBC series. Watching it again, it's amasterpiece.
A lot of really great actors. Charles Dance as the menacing Mr Tolkinghorne. Scully from the X Files as Lady Dreadlocks (I can never remember her name).
And of course the story line by Charles Dickens.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary

Australian Politics

Reply #87 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 8:18pm

Moby Dick, with Gregory Peck.

Can't believe I haven't seen it before.

I watched it on Stan.

Very, very good.

(I read the book recently)

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #88 - Jul 14th, 2016 at 8:58pm

Moby Dick is one of Peck's best roles. One of his charms was his great tone of voice, but he only had one. His attempts at dialect and accent were dismal failures. Check out his backwoodsman in The Yearling, and his Englishman in Hornblower; bloody dreadful.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #89 - Jul 15th, 2016 at 7:39am

He was quite good in To Kill a Mockingbird and also a movie about anti semitism, can't remember the name. Was it Man in the Grey Flannel Suit?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18
Send Topic Print