Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print
What I watched last night (Read 58435 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Re: What I watched last night
Reply #255 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 7:19am

First episode of Decline & Fall, a 3 part adaptation of the Evelyn Waugh novel.
Very funny in parts.

One of 3 DVDs I just bought. The others are;
- Dr Zhivago, original version. Haven't seen that since it came out and I saw it in a drive in. Maybe I didn't see it all?

- a Gerard Depardieu movie, the title escapes me right now, Alzheimer's closing in.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #256 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 2:18pm

Also meant to mention the new series of Howard's End on ABC, based on EM Forster novel.

Have to give it a bit of time to fill out. It's not an easy story to find the meaning of. But my initial feeling just from the first episode is that it doesn't come up to the movie with Anthony Hopkins & Emma Thompson, a Merchant Ivory production.
But I am a big fan of Haley Atwell.

PS Just remembered the Depardieu movie - Jean de Florette. Had it on tape years ago, wanted to see it again and also must look for the sequel.
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2018 at 1:46pm by bogarde73 »  

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #257 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 1:56pm

Well, Sunday actually. Howards End. I never saw the movie, but the TV series is very well made. Good dialogue, good acting, excellent period staging.

As a kid, I could not see the sense in the expression Cab rank. Its a file, right? No it was once a rank, back when numbers of Hansom cabs would back into the curb together, thus forming a rank.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #258 - Mar 13th, 2018 at 2:36pm

Yes, I'm enjoying it more with the second episode.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #259 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 10:25am

Been rewatching the series "Parade's End" with Benedict Cumberbatch. He is really one of the best actors of his generation imo.
In this series, set pre-WW1, he plays something of a polymath, ill at ease in personal relationships, who believes society or civilisation ended in the 18th century, ie pre-industrialisation.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #260 - Mar 15th, 2018 at 3:21pm

Watching Schindler's List again...on pay TV.  Great movie.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #261 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 10:43pm

The 1959-60 movie The Sundowners, shot in Australia with an international cast. Before anyone starts whinging about Robert Mitchum and Deborah Kerr in the lead roles, this was a big investment in an Australian subject for an international audience, and there was no one with that kind star quality in this country.

The staging of the scenes was excellent. The cinematography is probably the best seen in Australia to that date, and the directing by Fred Zinnemann (Polish-American) is first rate. He will be better remembered for High Noon, From Here To Eternety, Oklahoma, and The Day of the Jackal.

The movie is dated as we should expect, but the style deserves to be reviewed because while it may have gone out of fashion, the ultimate optimism is refreshing against an endless stream of the depressing cynicism and dystopian vision with which today's cinema putrefies the imagination.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Nom de Plume
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #262 - Mar 16th, 2018 at 11:57pm

Victoria & Abdul.... Lovely movie.

IP Logged

le_petit_prince

Australian Politics

Reply #263 - May 14th, 2018 at 1:28am

Last night I tried to watch the German TV series Dark (2017). Scary a bit, mostly boring )

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #264 - Mar 1st, 2021 at 3:30pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 21st, 2017 at 10:19pm:
I watched Mr Turner, on SBS. The story of J Turner the British artist of renown. I am familiar with his most famous paintings like The Fighting Temeraire, and Chichester Canal, but I wonder if the average TV viewer would, or even care to look at them.

This is a remarkable production not just for the attention to detail in creating an 1830s period piece. The work involved in every scene is art in itself. But the script writing and direction is flawless and incredibly poignant. The actors are outstanding, and the lead Timothy Spall gives what may eventually be his definitive performance. But this production is so well done that you would almost expect it, in a time of tawdry cinema fantasy and thrills, to be doomed to failure.

I agree. A remarkable film.
Here he is in desert island disks 20 years ago https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p00947kd

Spall is an absolute  revelation as Fagan in Oliver Twist.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #265 - Apr 22nd, 2022 at 12:43am

issuevoter wrote on Jan 21st, 2017 at 10:19pm:
I watched Mr Turner, on SBS. The story of J Turner the British artist of renown. I am familiar with his most famous paintings like The Fighting Temeraire, and Chichester Canal, but I wonder if the average TV viewer would, or even care to look at them.

This is a remarkable production not just for the attention to detail in creating an 1830s period piece. The work involved in every scene is art in itself. But the script writing and direction is flawless and incredibly poignant. The actors are outstanding, and the lead Timothy Spall gives what may eventually be his definitive performance. But this production is so well done that you would almost expect it, in a time of tawdry cinema fantasy and thrills, to be doomed to failure.

That Turner, who died in 1851, was a far more "modern" artist than any of the French Impressionists, is hardly a matter of dispute. (The only French landscape artist of the late 19th century who can survive any comparison with him is Monet.) Turner's Vesuvius in Eruption, 1817—"a reddened, yellowed and delicious horror," one of his contemporaries called it—is extravagantly spontaneous, the washes cut and scratched back to white with a knife or a brush handle, but it sums up the strange modernity of his techniques.

Nobody else exploited the transparency of watercolor as thoroughly as Turner. He reversed the traditional method of painting on a dark ground and working up to the high tones. The basic ground of Turner's watercolors is white, reflected light. In watercolors like Vesuvius, and more so in his opalescent canalscapes of Venice, Turner stated the identity of light and color as no previous artist had done. "They are pictures of the elements," wrote William Hazlitt in 1816. "The artist delights to go back to the first chaos of the world." From that chaos, a great deal of what we now call modernism was due to be born.
Robert Hughes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #266 - Nov 12th, 2022 at 10:44pm

issuevoter wrote on Jun 21st, 2015 at 10:49pm:
OK, so I just finished watching ABCs convict era drama the Secret River. It is a reasonable effort with good lighting in most scenes and no post WW2 Aussie accents. But how hard is it to get the details right in a period piece?

In the opening scene on Sydney Harbour we have a Nelson style three deck ship of the line like HMS Victory; utter crap. What possible reason would the Admiralty have to send such a ship to the Pacific?

In the closing scene the daughter has grown up. Its about 1835 and she comes home riding astride, and in men's pants and riding boots; utter crap. Squatter's daughters rode side saddle at least as late as WW1.

Watched it over two nights now. Pretty even handed, even sympathetic to the settlers - rare.
Well shot, the kiddies' perspective is well observed.

Good one.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print