Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print
What I watched last night (Read 58318 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Re: What I watched last night
Reply #240 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 4:26pm

Miss Austen Regrets.

A good little movie about phases of Jane Austen's life and her family relationships. Anybody who likes her books should see it.
Just incredible that maybe the most read & filmed novels ever returned so little to the author or her estate. And today people can become miilionaires for writing trash.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #241 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 4:35pm

bogarde73 wrote on Oct 13th, 2017 at 4:26pm:
Miss Austen Regrets.

A good little movie about phases of Jane Austen's life and her family relationships. Anybody who likes her books should see it.
Just incredible that maybe the most read & filmed novels ever returned so little to the author or her estate. And today people can become miilionaires for writing trash.

I've seen that and enjoyed it. 

I watched another "drama/romance" movie the other day called Up in the Air. starring George Clooney, whom I dislike but it turned out to be a really pleasant movie with a bit of a twist at the end. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1193138/

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #242 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 11:37am

Blade Runner...  the original cinema release.
Pity is that I still remember most of the dialogue and was saying it in my head before the characters.

Might have to wait another decade till I can watch it fresh.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #243 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 12:30pm

A strange, funny little Italian movie called Habemus Papam, about the election of a Pope.
All the rigmarole of the Conclave and then when he is about to be presented to the crowd he has a breakdown and says he can't do it.
They get a psychiatrist, yadayada, the Pope does a runner . . .but I won't say anymore.

Parts of it had that bizarro world of Dolce Vita and other Italian things. Some good acting & sort of pantomime humour but a weak ending like they ran out of money.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #244 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 6:14am

Grendel wrote on Oct 15th, 2017 at 11:37am:
Blade Runner...  the original cinema release.
Pity is that I still remember most of the dialogue and was saying it in my head before the characters.

Might have to wait another decade till I can watch it fresh.

The happy ending is not in the director's version. A strange cop-out for such a great movie. I have no desire to see the recent sequel. They flog it death if they think it will sell, in fact, cheapening the original.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #245 - Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:19pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 21st, 2017 at 10:19pm:
I watched Mr Turner, on SBS. The story of J Turner the British artist of renown. I am familiar with his most famous paintings like The Fighting Temeraire, and Chichester Canal, but I wonder if the average TV viewer would, or even care to look at them.

This is a remarkable production not just for the attention to detail in creating an 1830s period piece. The work involved in every scene is art in itself. But the script writing and direction is flawless and incredibly poignant. The actors are outstanding, and the lead Timothy Spall gives what may eventually be his definitive performance. But this production is so well done that you would almost expect it, in a time of tawdry cinema fantasy and thrills, to be doomed to failure.

Yes I've seen that and I think they ran it again just recently. I probably commented on it here too but your comments surpass anything I wrote. Absolutely spot on and beautifully written.
A great piece of cinema in every department.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #246 - Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:27am

Mars. Anyone catch this on SBS.
I'll watch anything about space travel, I'm a space junkie.
Even if it's an Elon Musk infomercial.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #247 - Jan 21st, 2018 at 2:39pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jan 15th, 2018 at 11:27am:
Mars. Anyone catch this on SBS.
I'll watch anything about space travel, I'm a space junkie.
Even if it's an Elon Musk infomercial.

As it goes further it's really quite good.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #248 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 8:28am

The Hunt for the Wilderpeople. A great NZ movie with Sam Neil. On SBS. I started to watch it for the fabulous scenery and got sucked in by the farce and fine acting. Compared to the garbage coming out of America, it was hugely refreshing.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #249 - Jan 27th, 2018 at 9:55am

@Reply #248

I started watching it [saw about 30 minutes].

But it was too much farce for me.

Dictionary;
farce = = a comic dramatic work or genre using buffoonery and horseplay and typically including ludicrously improbable situations.

The best part for me, was Sam Neill with his short spoof intro, to 'this Australian film'.

It was a hoot.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #250 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 6:37am

Last episode of the Forsyte Saga, a DVD I bought to replace an old VCR tape.
The Forsytes are the most Victorian of Victorian families for whom money & property are everything and everything can be bought & sold.
Must be about the third time I've watched it and I think I enjoyed it even more.

IP Logged

Grendel
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #251 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 8:04am

Hung around waiting for Stan Grant's new show MATTER OF FACT
Where major world issues were to be discussed by experts based on facts and not opinions...

Oh dear they had George Monbiot on FFS. So much for experts.

Then it strayed into Aboriginal Australia Day and had the dumbest Music section I have ever had the misfortune to sit through.

At least they could let you know what actual expertise these people have, the last guy on was a complete mystery to me.

Won't be watching it again.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #252 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 6:59pm

River.
I thought it was going to be a new series but it wasn't. Doesn't matter, it's just so good I'll watch it again.
Now I'm in love with Nicola Walker all over again, especially when she does the I Wanna Dance miming

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #253 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 12:49pm

Tangerines.
Not often you see an Estonian/Georgian joint production. Probably a one off in fact.
A movie about the Georgia-Abkhazia war some years back.
A village that used to be occupied by Estonians who have gone back to their homeland because of the war now.contains only two old men who refuse to leave until they have harvested & sold their tangerine crop.
In the meantime they find them selves having to care for two wounded enemies, a Chechen Muslim and a Georgian Christian.
I won't tell you anymore. I found it a beautifully made film very much worth seeing.

It might be on that SBS on demand thing.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #254 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 5:57am

bogarde73 wrote on Jan 14th, 2018 at 12:19pm:
issuevoter wrote on Jan 21st, 2017 at 10:19pm:
I watched Mr Turner, on SBS. The story of J Turner the British artist of renown. I am familiar with his most famous paintings like The Fighting Temeraire, and Chichester Canal, but I wonder if the average TV viewer would, or even care to look at them.

This is a remarkable production not just for the attention to detail in creating an 1830s period piece. The work involved in every scene is art in itself. But the script writing and direction is flawless and incredibly poignant. The actors are outstanding, and the lead Timothy Spall gives what may eventually be his definitive performance. But this production is so well done that you would almost expect it, in a time of tawdry cinema fantasy and thrills, to be doomed to failure.

Yes I've seen that and I think they ran it again just recently. I probably commented on it here too but your comments surpass anything I wrote. Absolutely spot on and beautifully written.
A great piece of cinema in every department.

This is maybe in the wrong place but whatever . . .

I hope this comes to TV or cinema - a film/doco set to Telemann's Concerto for 3 Trumpets showcasing the works of the young Turner aged 12-20
Already, so it is said, the basis of the mature style is there.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print