Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print
What I watched last night (Read 58320 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Re: What I watched last night
Reply #225 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 7:36pm

Indeed. You might not be old enough to remember the show where he first came to prominence.
Rawhide it was called and you could see then that he was going to be a star.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #226 - Jun 7th, 2017 at 8:11pm

I remember young Clint in Rawhide ...but he wasn't as charismatic or stand-out back then.
It was the spaghetti westerns "The Man with no name" - that really brought out his full potential.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #227 - Jun 22nd, 2017 at 10:45am

The Imitation Game, the second movie I think about Alan Turing & Enigma.

Benedict Cumberbatch does a good job of it as usual.

Unbelievable really isn't it. After what he did for the war effort he gets the choice between jail or chemical castration for being homosexual.
And of course - and Phillip Adams quoted this the other night - over 50% of UK muslims would like to see that regime brought back.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #228 - Jul 6th, 2017 at 8:11am

This movie ticked all the boxes for me.
I like b & w cinema. There's something about the mood it creates.
I like European cinema for the sensitivity of a kind you just don't quite get in UK and certainly US movies.

Ida is a Polish movie about a young trainee nun who discovers her Jewish family history and their fate as she struggles with the decision about her future.

3.5 stars

PS "poignancy" I think is the word I was struggling to find.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2017 at 10:41am by bogarde73 »  

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #229 - Aug 7th, 2017 at 8:03am

The first half of a Sinatra life story doco that I recorded ages ago and never watched. It doesn't seem to have a name.
Great historical footage going back to his childhood & teenage years. But especially his time with the big bands.
I never knew that when he wanted to quit Tommy Dorsey he had to sign an agreement to pay over 1/3 of his income for life. The unions & other organisations squashed that.

It's just my opinion, but I don't think the bobbysoxers were just hysterical girls, I think they were young people who recognised greatness when they heard it.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #230 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:42am

It did have a title - All or Nothing at all.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #231 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 8:54pm

Apart from his killer delivery of lyrics, Sinatra was a man and singer of his time. That meant performing material, not necessarily buying into it. He had excellent PR, and was not particularly outspoken. Yet he developed a slightly anti-establishment persona. That, I think was mainly PR too. And of course people assumed that he meant what he sang. I think "All, or nothing at all," is a title he would not have sanctioned. It perpetuates the myth associated with the song "My Way." When I read that he hated that song, I had a lot more respect for him. I would have liked to know what he thought of "That's Life," because the lyrics are far more philosophically appealing .

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #232 - Aug 13th, 2017 at 8:20am

I think I've been a fan all my life. I can just remember when, down on his heels, that awful Mitch Miller got hold of him and got him to sing crap.
Do you know there was a beautiful young Aussie girl called Diana Trask and she was a great singer but Miller got hold of her too and destroyed her talent.

But fortunately Sinatra came out the other side and went into the Capitol years with Nelson Riddle & then others like Gordon Jenkins. It was a golden era for him and everybody who liked what he could do.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #233 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 8:44am

I started watching "Happy Valley" on ABC about 3 weeks ago. No idea how long it's been running.
Another police drama but a very good one I think.

From the title you'd imagine it might be about some little valley where everybody is happy, maybe high on free marijuana. But I guess it's meant to suggest just the opposite - a struggle to bring order out of chaos in public and private terms.

3 stars.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #234 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 8:51am

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 8:44am:
I started watching "Happy Valley" on ABC about 3 weeks ago. No idea how long it's been running.

From the title you'd imagine it might be about some little valley where everybody is happy, maybe high on free marijuana. But I guess it's meant to suggest just the opposite - a struggle to bring order out of chaos in public and private terms.

3 stars.

ABC repeats as usual........cheap bastards......

It's a good show.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #235 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 12:54pm

Fuzzball wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 8:51am:
bogarde73 wrote on Aug 20th, 2017 at 8:44am:

3 stars.

ABC repeats as usual........cheap bastards......

It's a good show.

no its not a repeat... its all new.. follows on from season 1.. where she the cop was bashed by her grandsons father...he is in prison for that....where he is now setting up his girl friend to get back at Catherine for killing his mum as he thinks she has done..

Catherine is one tough cop. he had better watch out.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #236 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 8:00am

Is it Huddersfield, Yorkshire this series is set in?
If anybody was ever a fan of Last of the Summer Wine you might remember they often joked about going to Huddersfield, like the worst place in the world. And that was 30-40 years ago.

So much seediness and depression in the police dramas and violence of course.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #237 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 1:03pm

This new program Shetland is also quite good . . .if you can understand the accents.
Don't know what people do if they don't like police dramas or food shows.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #238 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:42am

Birdman, the 2014 movie with an aging Michael Keaton, Naomi Watts, Edward Norton, Zach Glifiafikanis, and Emma Stone. This is the kind of movie I enjoy. Tight dialogue, sharp character development, interesting plot turns, and fine acting. On the negative side, there are some surreal scenes which I did not see as truly relevant. The four script writers came up with a very good piece, more like a play than a movie, which was appropriate considering its about a play production on Broadway. One plot device that I would like to have seen avoided is the handgun. That's very American in thinking, but its a "cheap shot" at creating tension.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #239 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 2:46pm

I watched a DVD of I Capture the Castle, a strange little movie about a dried up writer who rents a crumbling castle with his family back in the 1930s.
It has Bill Nye in the lead role, which is the main reason I watched it. I enjoyed it much more this time than when I saw it at the movies maybe 15 years ago, I forget.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print