Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18
Send Topic Print
What I watched last night (Read 58427 times)
Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Re: What I watched last night
Reply #180 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 3:54am

bogarde73 wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 1:03pm:
But the most graphic part of it was the unimaginable immensity of the task of trying to cope with the problems.First we see how the Allies had to deal with 12 MILLION German POWs. Remembering that they had mostly all been pushed back within German borders, they had to be interned, fed and order maintained.Then there was the problem of feeding the populations, where the food supply chain everywhere was totally disrupted. The problem of disease control. And the massive task of getting the displaced persons back to their home countries.All this graphically dealt with in the footage.Great stuff from a historical context

The difference between then and now ?? 

Semantics. WWII resonates indeed. WE have to accept that it isn't any better today..  there are just arenas of war spread over a more diverse area. All the usual suspects are in play.

live every day

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #181 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 6:25am

But you have to see the footage Emma. The extent of the damage, city after city across Europe reduced to rubble & skeletons of buildings. I've never seen the scale if it before.
I've since discovered it's a series, on again next Sunday 5.30 and called After Hitler. I think it may cover the period of about 4 or 5 years after the war.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #182 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 5:35am

An Italian movie, Ten Winters, just a love story about a long term relationship.
But they do it so well.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #183 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 8:54am

Watched the Deer Hunter last night,great performances but god the director and editor needed to be fired. 3 hr movie, could easily be cut to 2 and a quarter

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #184 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 6:20am

Getting desperate, I started to watch a French movie that started with putting down an old dog (just what I needed right now) and deteriorated into the kind of f#ck this s#ck that you normally only expect in Hollywood trash.

So it was back to the DVD library to watch Come in Spinner. Geez Australia made some good stuff back then.
The only downside was watching how the chancers lived it up while the blokes were away fighting the Japs.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #185 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 6:01am

The Jean Resnais film "Wild Grass".
A pretty weird movie about some pretty mixed up people which provided the viewer with two possible endings.
At least it wasn't violent, which is more than I can say for Henry VI Pt 2, which I watched in the late afternoon when it was too hot to move.
Now I know where the English football crowds inherited their violence from.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #186 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 7:00am

Richard III, the last of the five plays covering the Wars of the Roses.
Benedict Cumberbatch (what a strange name) was truly evil in the title role. But it has to be remembered that Shakespeare was dependent on Elizabethan patronage & censorship, so that the dynasty overthrown by the Tudors had to be blackened.

I did read all these plays once and Richard III doesn't stack up against the others IMO.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #187 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 7:16am

Laura (1944) with Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews. Classic film noir, murder mystery, with very tight dialogue. Clifton Webb plays an acid tongued newspaper columnist. When asked to endorse a brand of fountain pen, he replies, "I don't use a pen, I use a goose quill dipped in venom."

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #188 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 10:22am

Yes I remember Clifton Webb in that movie. In fact he was probably the best part of it and I think he must have been the inspiration for a lot of similar roles in later movies.

(Just remembered I've got the dvd somewhere. I'm discovering in the past couple of weeks all these dvds I'd forgotten I have)

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #189 - Dec 21st, 2016 at 8:39pm

Battlebots. 7.30PM Wednesday Queensland. on Go. I remember this show when I was living in the USA. It is kind of stupid, but very engaging. It is a tournament for competing teams who build fighting robots. Next week will be the quarter final. The format is very much like theatrical wrestling, but it is interesting to see how the robots have evolved under the rules into several recognisable types.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #190 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 3:48pm

Or more correctly, what I didn't watch last night and won't be watching for nights (oh god, how many?).
The two TV sets have been requisitioned by barbarians of various ages and I refuse to have my eyes & ears assaulted by inane content.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #191 - Dec 27th, 2016 at 9:24am

Somersby, the Jodie Foster and Richard Gere movie. This starts out with some quite well staged scenes from the Reconstruction Period just after the American Civil War. Although the characters of this impoverished southern community are all bit too well dressed for 1865-6. I thought it was going to be another cliched view of American history, but it turns out to be a quite good plot driven script. I will not spoil it for those who have yet to see it. Jodie Foster is excellent, Gere is good, but his part needed more nuance toward the end. I often judge works of fiction by the credibility of their love scenes, thankfully, this production does not go off into the flights of bonking fantasy so many directors think fascinate viewers.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #192 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 11:38am

Control has been reestablished over my network and I was able to enjoy an episode of Endeavour, none ofwhich I saw when they first came out.
They make me wish I'd been a student at Oxford. All so civilised.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #193 - Dec 30th, 2016 at 8:38am

I've been re- watching a series Wives & Daughters, a period thing by Elizabeth Gaskell.
My god that Michael Gambon is one helluva actor. Seeing a good actor like that strutting his stuff is better than looking at a great painting or hearing a great piece of music.
Keeley Hawes, whom I've only known from Spooks, also shows how good she is.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #194 - Dec 30th, 2016 at 9:20am

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18
Send Topic Print