Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Substance Abuse Depression/Suicide - who's next? (Read 3255 times)
sherri
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne, Australia
Re: Substance Abuse Depression/Suicide - who's next?
Reply #15 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:00am

A few years back, I attended a lecture about suicide- danger signs, what to do etc

One of the things that came out of it was that the common belief that if someone talks about it they won't really do it was rubbish.

If someone is talking about it, they are more likely to try.

It also came out that many people who attempt suicide confide in at least one person. They might mention a death wish or whatever. If that one person ignores it or doesn't break a confidence, if necessary, or doesn't ask the person how they would kill themselves, then the opportunity to help can be lost.

So if someone says they are depressed or want to die, we should listen & try to help.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:20am

Interesting, sherri.

I was once in an open psychiatric ward (not locked) where a couple of girls committed suicide independent of one another.

It was a surprise to see and hear these girls talking at these group meetings just the same as any other 'troubled' teenagers would do, and then to learn they had killed themselves within the hospital premises.

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:33am by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #17 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 11:17pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:20am:
Interesting, sherri.

I was once in an open psychiatric ward (not locked) where a couple of girls committed suicide independent of one another.

It was a surprise to see and hear these girls talking at these group meetings just the same as any other 'troubled' teenagers would do, and then to learn they had killed themselves within the hospital premises.

Yeh, it's buggere* ; i am sorry for your loss!

Cry  It does hurt- they were human after all.

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #18 - Oct 1st, 2014 at 11:19pm

sherri wrote on Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:00am:
A few years back, I attended a lecture about suicide- danger signs, what to do etc

One of the things that came out of it was that the common belief that if someone talks about it they won't really do it was rubbish.

It also came out that many people who attempt suicide confide in at least one person. They might mention a death wish or whatever. If that one person ignores it or doesn't break a confidence, if necessary, or doesn't ask the person how they would kill themselves, then the opportunity to help can be lost.

So if someone says they are depressed or want to die, we should listen & try to help.

Yes, but: having known many- they say nothing!

Body language however... now there is a sign  Shocked Shocked

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #19 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 12:33am

I think that it is very difficult for other people to grasp the depths of despair that may be being experienced by their friend(s).

Because they don't live this,  they don't really get it.. altho their will to help may be strong.

Some things simply ARE.. that's life.

No matter what attempted interventions may be tried..  it is NOT something amenable to public opinion..

Sooo  sorry if your mantra of ..'pull your socks up'  has no positive results.

live every day

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #20 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 2:52am

Emma wrote on Oct 2nd, 2014 at 12:33am:
I think that it is very difficult for other people to grasp the depths of despair that may be being experienced by their friend(s).

Because they don't live this,  they don't really get it.. altho their will to help may be strong.

Some things simply ARE.. that's life.

No matter what attempted interventions may be tried..  it is NOT something amenable to public opinion..

Sooo  sorry if your mantra of ..'pull your socks up'  has no positive results.

The trouble seems to me, dear emma, as someone- like all of us that have known friends who are no longer available- is that they were the best. They were so full of life and character.

Yeh, maybe a few weren't but most were... on reflection you could say most weren't but that is with 20/20 hindsight...

Hey, fair call: some thing simply are  Cool Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Oct 2nd, 2014 at 2:25pm

Gryphon49 wrote on Sep 8th, 2014 at 10:12pm:
Suicide is a way of ending pain. When people get a toothache, what is it that they want? they want it to STOP so, they go to the dentist, have it fixed, a little pain and then, a few weeks later it is gone.

Depression isn't like that, pain lasts for so long and all the "they should be able to snap out of it" doesn't work, you are afraid to TELL anyone because you might be considered a wussy or be told "I am worse off than that" OR, "I know how you feel" bullshit.

All you know is that overriding push inside you to END THE PAIN. You don't consider anyone else's pain BUT your own and you also think that others will be happy when I am gone and that no one will really miss me.

So, to all those who THINK they have an answer or, that they say things like "he/she is a coward" doesn't he/she "know what they are doing to their family"? You know jack.
If the pain was so easy to get rid of, suicide would be no problem at all. Next time someone has a glib comment about someone who has committed suicide, keep it to yourself.

You sound like a real person to me

Good to know we're still producing them (real people)

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #22 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 1:43am

there are lots of real people

our current societal set-up.... due I'd say, mainly to.... inhuman goals,.............  results in so many wasted people.

We see us everyday.!

live every day

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 2:42am

I will off myself when the time comes. I wouldnt subject my family to the sight of finding my body with my brains blown out though. Someone I knew drove out to the bush, drank a bottle of spirits and stuck a hose in his  exhaust pipe and called his mates knowing they wouldnt get there on time. Now thats considerate. Another one blew his brains out in his driveway, very messy. another went to walk the dog and didnt come back, he talked about it for a while though. we saw it coming. Another hung himself in his house, he lived by himself, only a young feller, all over a woman. I think also sometimes people just get weary, doctors call it depression, I dont know sometimes, I feel tired of this world sometimes and the people in it, I have no faith in humanity. Is it depression?

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #24 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 7:20am

rhino wrote on Nov 11th, 2014 at 2:42am:
I will off myself when the time comes. I wouldnt subject my family to the sight of finding my body with my brains blown out though. Someone I knew drove out to the bush, drank a bottle of spirits and stuck a hose in his  exhaust pipe and called his mates knowing they wouldnt get there on time. Now thats considerate. Another one blew his brains out in his driveway, very messy. another went to walk the dog and didnt come back, he talked about it for a while though. we saw it coming. Another hung himself in his house, he lived by himself, only a young feller, all over a woman.

Far out. Something in the water?

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 7:41am

sherri wrote on Sep 24th, 2014 at 9:00am:

Thanks Sherri.
One of my brothers was talking suicide a few years ago.
It has a tough time for me to calmly talk about it with him, he did not do it.
Hard hard hard discussions though.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #26 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 8:08pm

I'm with Rhino.

My choice.

live every day

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 10:48pm

A friend of mine said if people consider suicide, but do not do it very normally within a year or so they are quite happy with life

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #28 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 10:56pm

your friend must be a f'n fool. Seriously..?

I have considered it a viable option since i was 13 yrs old.. but  .. in the past there have been reasons to hold off.

Mainly.. not wanting to put my mother through that.

NOW.. everyone worthy is dead...  but there are some creeps I definitely intend to out live.

live every day

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Nov 11th, 2014 at 11:35pm

he did do volunteer work on helplines.
he is trained in that area

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print