Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
British vet rescuing & saving sight of Sun bears (Read 1277 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

British vet rescuing & saving sight of Sun bears
Aug 17th, 2014 at 8:25am

Whether it's Western governments or the Chinese law-makers, cruelty is tacitly sponsored by them for not making certain practices outlawed.

In Australia the government is happy to do nothing about chickens living in appalling conditions in crowded cages.

So many abuses that are tolerated by our ruling elite, including the hideous live cattle trade to countries that are an Auschwitz for beef and sheep exports.

No doubt it's because the cattle barons pay huge bribes to both the major parties at election time that this filthy trade in misery is not dealt with.

"'I cried every day': British vet's harrowing mission to give sight back to bears blinded in China's cruel 'farms' that harvest their bile for medicine

Claudia Hartley became first vet to perform cataract surgery on moon bear
    They are starved and locked in cramped cages while their bile is harvested
    Bile, once used in tonic, is now in shampoos, toothpastes and eye drops
    She first heard of their plight in 2008 and has rescued sight of eight bears
    Up to another 20,000 endangered bears thought to still be trapped on farms".

link

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: British vet rescuing & saving sight of Sun bears
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 9:46am

I totally agree with you Herbert. The suffering of these animals is at the top end of extreme. Hawke stopped the live trade for a while - then Howard revived it. Abbott wants to expand it. We could afford to lose it. The live trade doesn't contribute that much to the economy and could be easily replaced with something else.

Gillard didn't have the guts to stop it permanently. The Greens do, but they are a tiny minority. Australia is lagging behind other first world countries in their humane treatment of animals.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2014 at 11:47am

mantra wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 9:46am:
I totally agree with you Herbert. The suffering of these animals is at the top end of extreme. Hawke stopped the live trade for a while - then Howard revived it. Abbott wants to expand it. We could afford to lose it. The live trade doesn't contribute that much to the economy and could be easily replaced with something else.

It is to Australia's eternal shame that our government allows halal killing of our livestock here in Australia ~ a practice that is otherwise by law deemed to be cruel and unlawful if committed outside of religious sanction.

How pathetic is that?

Perhaps the government could sponsor Aztec human sacrifices too under the protection of this being a 'religious right'?

How about the tossing of live goats onto bonfires to propitiate the Gods as certain African tribes do?

Why not have our own Sun bear bile draining farms here in Australia run by our Chinese community as their 'cultural right' to maintain their traditions under the aegis of 'Multicultural Australia'?

mantra wrote on Aug 17th, 2014 at 9:46am:
Gillard didn't have the guts to stop it permanently. The Greens do, but they are a tiny minority. Australia is lagging behind other first world countries in their humane treatment of animals.

It makes me made as hell that bastards like Abbott and the Labor leaders have the power to stop these practices at the stroke of a pen, but won't do it because their parties get bribery-funding from the very people who make a living from these cruelties.

It's one of the major flaws of democracy that political parties depend upon funding and the votes of minorities to push them across the line at election times.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 8:01am

you do realise that the countries that will only accept live cattle/sheep...will go elsewhere and buy from countries that dont give a damn how the animals are treated.....at least we do have some standards....nothing in life is perfect... no I dont like it....but I am more concerned about the animals that are tortured like the Sun Bears.

for many years I was a member of the save the sun bears group....and would write letters all over the place to countries that ill treated their animals...even Tennessee  to stop the bear hunters using dogs to scare the bears up trees to make it easier for the big tough hunters...omg...

a lot is stopping.. like dancing bears for instance..its the poor and ignorant we have to educate..and if we keep making a noise sooner or later it will change,...

whingeing about it on here doesnt have a lot of effect herb.....

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 12:06pm

cods wrote on Aug 18th, 2014 at 8:01am:
you do realise that the countries that will only accept live cattle/sheep...will go elsewhere and buy from countries that dont give a damn how the animals are treated.....at least we do have some standards....nothing in life is perfect... no I dont like it....but I am more concerned about the animals that are tortured like the Sun Bears.

for many years I was a member of the save the sun bears group....and would write letters all over the place to countries that ill treated their animals...even Tennessee  to stop the bear hunters using dogs to scare the bears up trees to make it easier for the big tough hunters...omg...

a lot is stopping.. like dancing bears for instance..its the poor and ignorant we have to educate..and if we keep making a noise sooner or later it will change,...

A more humane version of halal killing could be supervised here in Australia before the carcasses are sent overseas in deep-freeze cargo ships.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 7:56am

Lord Herbert wrote on Aug 18th, 2014 at 12:06pm:
cods wrote on Aug 18th, 2014 at 8:01am:

A more humane version of halal killing could be supervised here in Australia before the carcasses are sent overseas in deep-freeze cargo ships.

they wont take frozen meat.....its that simple...

it isnt nice I agree but who are we to tell others what to do in their own countries....we dont like it being done to us...

dont send live animals at all.. and there goes another industry...when the govt pulled the rug on Indonesia the live stock was held in pens for weeks...was that nice???..its a huge problem I read where the industry employs 13000 people..

it isnt as if our govts havent tried to sell this to these countries...maybe we should pay the extra and send our own vets with the ship to oversee the treatment....these countries dont look on animals the same way we do.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 9:17am

cods wrote on Aug 20th, 2014 at 7:56am:
they wont take frozen meat.....its that simple...

it isnt nice I agree but who are we to tell others what to do in their own countries....we dont like it being done to us...

We have every right to openly criticise the cruel practices of other countries just as we have the moral right to criticise and report neighbours who are mistreating their pets.

cods wrote on Aug 20th, 2014 at 7:56am:
dont send live animals at all.. and there goes another industry...when the govt pulled the rug on Indonesia the live stock was held in pens for weeks...was that nice???..its a huge problem I read where the industry employs 13000 people..

13000 people employed in this trade?

That damned Wilberforce who stopped the slave trade has a lot to answer for. I wonder how many people he thoughtlessly put out of work by raging against the slave trade?

IP Logged

The Mole
Gold Member

http://www.ozpolitic
.co/album/forum-atta
chments/y

Reply #7 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 8:08pm

Agree Herbert..I don't care how many pp are put out of work due to stopping the export of any animal, if the practice is cruel and inhumane then it should stop....I totally agree that any animal to be exported should be killed an refigerated in Australia...inhumane treatment of any animal is to be condemned vigourously...

Muslim countries the world over practice the most inhumane animal right's atrocities..and if I didn't know any better,they even seem get off on it...

And the live export trade in this country is also  based on absolutely no regard for their cargo...sheep crammed into trucks in summer for 3-4 days on end and longer, no food, no water, no sleep, cannot lay down..I have seen them attempting to jump to their death from the top decks of these trucks... it is highly distressing to watch it ...

"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave"

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 8:22pm

Our government can stop this cruel trade in gradual steps over a period of a couple of years while new arrangements are made for selling these livestock to non-Muslim countries.

IP Logged

The Mole
Gold Member

http://www.ozpolitic
.co/album/forum-atta
chments/y

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2014 at 11:37pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Aug 20th, 2014 at 8:22pm:
Our government can stop this cruel trade in gradual steps over a period of a couple of years while new arrangements are made for selling these livestock to non-Muslim countries.

Now there's an idea...cant help thinking that this whole thing has been put in the too hard basket by both Governments though..I knew a lady from PALE..People Against Live Exports...she has been lobbying and working tirelessly for many years to negotiate better conditions and agreements between Au. and the Middle East...I think she was almost insane because the process was so so difficult , bogged down in red tape and brick walls at every turn...for many years..it literally sucked out her life force. She got nowhere.  She began drinking heavily because of it  Embarrassed

"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave"

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 11:41am

bump

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Aug 21st, 2014 at 11:42am

The Mole wrote on Aug 20th, 2014 at 11:37pm:
I think she was almost insane because the process was so so difficult , bogged down in red tape and brick walls at every turn...for many years..it literally sucked out her life force. She got nowhere.  She began drinking heavily because of it  Embarrassed

Oh NO A.G.!!! That wuzn't YOU wuz it?!  Cry

You sound as though you've made a good recovery from those trying times.

Beating your head against a brick wall and getting garroted by Red Tape can have the effect of seeing you reaching for the Cooking Sherry behind the Corn Flakes packet on the top shelf of the kitchen cupboard .. I know the feeling well.   Embarrassed Smiley

Perhaps we should open up an AA thread ... ?  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print