Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Alcohol kills 15 Australians every day (Read 1183 times)
Taipan
Gold Member

Australian Politics

SouthWest Sydney
Alcohol kills 15 Australians every day
Jul 31st, 2014 at 7:47am

Quote:
Alcohol is killing 15 Australians a day and sending another 430 to hospital, according to a new report released today.

The VicHealth and Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE) report found the number of deaths caused by alcohol had increased 62 percent in a decade, News Corp reports.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/07/31/05/04/calls-for-alcohol-warnings

What a load of crap!!

They cant say that "alcohol is killing" when alcohol is most likely to be only a particular factor in a persons death.

They're full of sh!t.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Re: Alcohol kills 15 Australians every day
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 7:52am

By the same token, one must ask the question.  What ever happened to, responsible serving of alcohol.      Sad

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 7:54am

Quote:
By the same token, one must ask the question.  What ever happened to, responsible serving of alcohol.      Sad    

It's still working, just as well as it ever did.

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 8:05am

The government loves fudged figures that point to justification for a tax increase.

The figures don't take into account any others factors such as increased population, increased body mass, more women drinkers..etc.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 10:16am

If its a drunk driver crashing, would they have crashed if they were sober? No, so its alcohol.

So the figures are essentially ok. Its conclusions reached on the basis of the figures which are likely to be dodgy.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 10:29am

Taipan wrote on Jul 31st, 2014 at 7:47am:
Quote:
Alcohol is killing 15 Australians a day and sending another 430 to hospital, according to a new report released today.

The VicHealth and Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education (FARE) report found the number of deaths caused by alcohol had increased 62 percent in a decade, News Corp reports.

What a load of crap!!

They cant say that "alcohol is killing" when alcohol is most likely to be only a particular factor in a persons death.

They're full of sh!t.

You'll drink to that.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 10:49am

15 seems a bit high.

Is fair to include car crashes where alcohol was involved, suicides where alcohoe was used in the last 6 weeks, many 'medical' deaths, assualts where alcohol was consumed in the last 5 days ...........

it'ld be a few.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 10:54am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jul 31st, 2014 at 10:16am:
If its a drunk driver crashing, would they have crashed if they were sober? No, so its alcohol.

So the figures are essentially ok. Its conclusions reached on the basis of the figures which are likely to be dodgy.

the trouble is its not just DEATH is it..?

my daughter in laws uncle has just been given a place in a nursing home.. he has lived with.. and off her mum for years he is about 63 hasnt worked for years thanks to alcohol... spent all his disability on grog and smokes.. though did manage to stop smoking after last but one  stint in hospital..
the last trip was due to broken collar bone he was found on kitchen floor in the early hours...
whilst in there he fell 4 times and broke a hip as well...anyway he is now diagnosed with early dementia and at long last his sister gets a break...he doesnt recognise her and tells her to F Off... so its pretty sad.. but he could last for years in there where he will get 24 hour attention...

the ripple effect of alcohol abuse is enormous.

it isnt ALCOHOL thats the problem its the ABUSE.

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 11:04am

Taipan wrote on Jul 31st, 2014 at 7:47am:
Alcohol is killing 15 Australians a day
and sending another 430 to hospital, according to a new report released today.

The report says alcohol use is involved as a
casual or component factor in more than 200 diseases, including cancer and cardiovascular disease
, and causes more than
157,000 hospitalisations a year

Foundation chief Michael Thorn told media alcohol companies should be forced to warn consumers of the potential harms in the same way cigarette packets do.

“The alcohol industry, like the tobacco industry before it, has long shown itself unwilling to acknowledge the extent of the harms it causes,” he said.

From the LOOKS of it, these numbers do NOT include
road fatalities
and
hospitalisations
attributed to
drunk driving

As a juxtaposition - I'd be curious to see the number of
Australians KILLED and MAIMED in Australia
by
"muslim terrorists"
each year

Anyone know the figure ?
i

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 11:05am

how many a day does marijuana kill?

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 11:34am

ian wrote on Jul 31st, 2014 at 11:05am:
how many a day does marijuana kill?

Not as many as
terrorists
, I'm
SURE
!

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 12:20pm

close. The answer is zero.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 12:46pm

cods wrote on Jul 31st, 2014 at 10:54am:

my daughter in laws uncle has just been given a place in a nursing home.. he has lived with.. and off her mum for years he is about 63 hasnt worked for years thanks to alcohol... spent all his disability on grog and smokes.. though did manage to stop smoking after last but one  stint in hospital..
the last trip was due to broken collar bone he was found on kitchen floor in the early hours...
whilst in there he fell 4 times and broke a hip as well...anyway he is now diagnosed with early dementia and at long last his sister gets a break...he doesnt recognise her and tells her to F Off... so its pretty sad.. but he could last for years in there where he will get 24 hour attention...

cods - that's a BIG expense to society.
very sad for all.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 1:20pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 31st, 2014 at 12:46pm:

very sad for all.

And the SAME ( ... believe it or not) can be said for the vast bulk of recreational drug users

I knew a few people - when I lived in inner Sydney - that used "ice" (crystal methamphetamine) on a semi- regular, "party" basis

You won't NOTICE this demographic - because they're never seen being held to the ground by police, being tasered and pepper sprayed

There are certain people that shouldn't take certain drugs
There certain people that shouldn't touch ANY alcohol - PERIOD

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 31st, 2014 at 1:29pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Jul 31st, 2014 at 1:20pm:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Jul 31st, 2014 at 12:46pm:

very sad for all.

And the SAME ( ... believe it or not) can be said for the vast bulk of recreational drug users

I knew a few people - when I lived in inner Sydney - that used "ice" (crystal methamphetamine) on a semi- regular, "party" basis

You won't NOTICE this demographic - because they're never seen being held to the ground by police, being tasered and pepper sprayed

There are certain people that shouldn't take certain drugs
There certain people that shouldn't touch ANY alcohol - PERIOD

can you tell who  they are????

thats the trouble no one can...

if you have an addictive personality then it wont matter what your substance of choice is..

you will not be able to live without it...

and it isnt until it takes over and the harm is done that it becomes obvious to the addict...

who is the only one who can cure him/herself..

we are turning a blind eye more and more

make drugs legal.. close the pubs early..

yep that should cure all the abuse...,and save a life or two.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print