Send Topic Print
Bow & Arrow Attacks (Read 4420 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Bow & Arrow Attacks
Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:21pm

Bow and arrow attacks on wildlife on the rise, prompting call to outlaw compound bows

Wildlife carers say there are an increasing number of bow and arrow attacks on native animals, prompting calls for the weapons to be prohibited.

But bow hunters say their sport is being tarnished by the actions of a few reckless amateurs.

Wildlife rescue organisation WIRES says it is seeing an increase in the number of native animals being shot with arrows, with devastating consequences.

"The animal is lame, sometimes the animal has been shot in the head, or in the body, hasn't been killed, there's usually infection at the entry site and maybe damage to internal organs," WIRES general manager Leanne Taylor told the ABC.

"They're often dehydrated, they've been exposed to extremes of either heat or cold because they're not as mobile, they may be underweight because they haven't been able to access food.

"It can be anything from days to weeks with an animal in that state, and they suffer prolonged pain."

NSW Greens MP David Shoebridge wants to see the modern compound bow listed as a prohibited weapon, like the crossbow.

Galah pierced by an arrow in New South Wales
PHOTO: A galah sits on a power line after being shot with an arrow (Supplied: WIRES)
A compound bow uses wheels and cables to reduce the draw weight of the bow, making it easier to hold while aiming.

"Compound bows are extremely lethal weapons. They're designed to kill, and in NSW there is literally nothing regulating their sale, nothing regulating their use," Mr Shoebridge said.

Compound bows are freely available to buy online and at markets. The ABC found high-quality compound bows for sale at Paddy's Markets in Sydney's Chinatown, priced between $400 and $900.

"They are weapons of death which the law simply doesn't touch," Mr Shoebridge said.

"You don't need a licence to buy them, there's no age limit on when you can buy them, and there are few, if any, laws restricting their use either in suburban Sydney or in parks or in open spaces."

Mr Shoebridge said arrows typically used for hunting are broad-head arrows designed to cause maximum injury, with barbs to lodge the arrow in flesh.

"When you combine those lethal arrows with a modern compound bow you have a genuine killing instrument," he said.

www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-29/native-animals-being-hunted-with-bow-and-arrows/5...

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Bow & Arrow Attacks
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:26pm

there are thousands of archers out there shooting every weekend and no one gets hurt

these idiots are just that, idiots .. take away the bow and they'll find something else to use. Banning bows is not the answer

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:54pm

And why is it compound bows??? A recurve bow or long bow will deliver just as much force as a compound.

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 8:47am

Sounds like BS to me. No laws governing their use in suburban Sydney?

Did WIRES give a percentage of the number of animals they treat that are victims of bow attacks, or any stats to demonstrate this increase they are talking about?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 9:25am

I was quite fond of this statement

typically used for hunting are broad-head arrows designed to cause maximum injury

well derr ... they are meant to be used for hunting ... next he'll be complianing knives cut and drills drill

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2014 at 9:39am

I am worried about those little - CONCEALABLE - kitchen paring knives!!!

When is the federal government going to control their availability [perhaps a licensing system?] ?

[Don't we need a national registration system ?]

I would feel so much safer, if the federal government would ban those kitchen paring knives!!!

And don't get me started on BOX CUTTERS!!!!!

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

gone
Gold Member

Australian Politics

somewhere
Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 2:52pm

If bows get banned then it would be for the very same reason that guns and certain knives got banned (restricted): Because the tyrannical government is scared of its tax-slaves. They even banned ordinary people from owning safety gear like bulletproof vests. They want to make sure that they can shoot you in case you stand up for yourself.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 10:07pm

I still think that 'projectile weapons' are a GUTLESS act of Hunting by men who need to boost their flagging bravado.

HTFU and attack the animal with a Bowie Knife and a Buckler 'hand to hand'.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #8 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 10:28pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 9th, 2014 at 10:07pm:
I still think that 'projectile weapons' are a GUTLESS act of Hunting by men who need to boost their flagging bravado.

HTFU and attack the animal with a Bowie Knife and a Buckler 'hand to hand'.  Wink

Well in most cases, that would mean the hunter would also be have to run as fast as the prey..

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #9 - Sep 9th, 2014 at 11:32pm

And the net tightens further on projectile weapons. 

It's brilliant - by reducing the types of projectile weapons available, the same number of attacks will be concentrated into fewer categories, meaning there will always be an "increase in the number of {insert weapon up for prohibition here}attacks" with which to justify further bans.

It was just a few years ago that crossbows were banned, and Bb guns just before that. 

I predict spear fishing guns will be next - for your safety, of course.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 12:50pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Sep 9th, 2014 at 10:28pm:
Jasin wrote on Sep 9th, 2014 at 10:07pm:

Well in most cases, that would mean the hunter would also be have to run as fast as the prey..

Well he 'hides' anyway with his 'projectile weapon' (in a safe place) - so why not 'hide' in waiting for the 'Prey', like many other species of animal do?  Huh

I've seen guys shoot Kangaroos and I often tell them to go kill them with a knife.
They are afraid that they might get 'hurt'  Tongue  Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 1:03pm

____ wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:21pm:
Bow and arrow attacks on wildlife on the rise, prompting call to outlaw compound bows

Wildlife carers say there are an increasing number of bow and arrow attacks on native animals, prompting calls for the weapons to be prohibited.

But bow hunters say their sport is being tarnished by the actions of a few reckless amateurs.

Wildlife rescue organisation WIRES says it is seeing an increase in the number of native animals being shot with arrows, with devastating consequences.

"The animal is lame, sometimes the animal has been shot in the head, or in the body, hasn't been killed, there's usually infection at the entry site and maybe damage to internal organs," WIRES general manager Leanne Taylor told the ABC.

"They're often dehydrated, they've been exposed to extremes of either heat or cold because they're not as mobile, they may be underweight because they haven't been able to access food.

"It can be anything from days to weeks with an animal in that state, and they suffer prolonged pain."

NSW Greens MP David Shoebridge wants to see the modern compound bow listed as a prohibited weapon, like the crossbow.

Galah pierced by an arrow in New South Wales
PHOTO: A galah sits on a power line after being shot with an arrow (Supplied: WIRES)
A compound bow uses wheels and cables to reduce the draw weight of the bow, making it easier to hold while aiming.

"Compound bows are extremely lethal weapons. They're designed to kill, and in NSW there is literally nothing regulating their sale, nothing regulating their use," Mr Shoebridge said.

Compound bows are freely available to buy online and at markets. The ABC found high-quality compound bows for sale at Paddy's Markets in Sydney's Chinatown, priced between $400 and $900.

"They are weapons of death which the law simply doesn't touch," Mr Shoebridge said.

"You don't need a licence to buy them, there's no age limit on when you can buy them, and there are few, if any, laws restricting their use either in suburban Sydney or in parks or in open spaces."

Mr Shoebridge said arrows typically used for hunting are broad-head arrows designed to cause maximum injury, with barbs to lodge the arrow in flesh.

"When you combine those lethal arrows with a modern compound bow you have a genuine killing instrument," he said.

www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-29/native-animals-being-hunted-with-bow-and-arrows/5...

How friggen gay is this clown? 

It like listening to the whining of a teenage girl, whose found out that she isn't the princess daddy said she was.  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 1:05pm

Jasin wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 12:50pm:
Well he 'hides' anyway with his 'projectile weapon' (in a safe place) - so why not 'hide' in waiting for the 'Prey', like many other species of animal do?  Huh

I've seen guys shoot Kangaroos and I often tell them to go kill them with a knife.

I doubt you have spoken to any hunters and they have replied with anything other than "bugger off, idiot".

Just a personal observation.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2014 at 10:43pm

BigOl64 wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 1:05pm:

I doubt you have spoken to any hunters and they have replied with anything other than "bugger off, idiot".

from afar and a safe distance I'm sure too. Wink

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 8:58am

David Sandalplank is just doing his usual attention grabbing routine and if he gets anywhere with this then he'll start on traditional bows.

He is opposed to hunting by anyone but Aboriginal Australians which makes him a racist.

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #15 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 9:00am

Jasin wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 10:43pm:

No need to up close and personal, to work out you're all the sandwhiches short of a picnic.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #16 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 9:35am

Sir Eoin O Fada wrote on Sep 11th, 2014 at 8:58am:
David Sandalplank is just doing his usual attention grabbing routine and if he gets anywhere with this then he'll start on traditional bows.

He is opposed to hunting by anyone but Aboriginal Australians which makes him a racist.

LOL

The racist tag,    clearly it seems to be true!

At last, we have identified a real racist!!!

Smiley

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Sep 11th, 2014 at 5:05pm

BigOl64 wrote on Sep 11th, 2014 at 9:00am:
Jasin wrote on Sep 10th, 2014 at 10:43pm:

No need to up close and personal, to work out you're all the sandwhiches short of a picnic.

And you need to go back to the Middle-East, where you belong with all the other Military Mentally Ill.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #18 - May 11th, 2015 at 11:27pm

____ wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:21pm:

But bow hunters say the sport is being tarnished by the actions of a few reckless amateurs.

Like this one:

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print