Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kennel cough (Read 694 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Kennel cough
Jul 28th, 2014 at 11:19am

I don't know if anyone has experienced this in a dog   it is horrendous.
One of my little dogs has it. He's 16 years old and it's causing me so much stress watching him. It's just a relentless hacking cough.
The vet assures me he will get better with antibiotics. He does not believe in keeping animals going needlessly otherwise really I would go for the Final Solution.
Fortunately the other two dogs have not caught it  . . .yet.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Kennel cough
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 5:26pm

We want to keep our beloved pets going for as long as humanely possible. It's very difficult to let them go. If the antibiotics haven't kicked in within two or three days - go back and ask the vet for a stronger one. I had a young dog with kennel cough at one time and fortunately the antibiotics fixed it, but an older dog needs much closer attention. Ask the vet also about steroid injections. At 16 - steroids can only help him build up a little strength. Keep him warm and comfortable with sloppy foods as his throat would be quite sore. Maybe pureed chicken or finely chopped beef - but something that's tasty and easy to swallow helps a lot.

Your other dogs might be younger and healthier and not so susceptible to catching it.

Good luck. Let us know how he's doing.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 5:31pm

Had a dog that had it once ... he recovered . It was many years ago so my memory of it is a little vague.

I believe it is contagious from dog to dog so if you can seperate them, do so.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2014 at 5:57pm

16 years is an advanced age for any dog.

I believe it is somewhat similar to bronchitis in humans - which means it's catching.

The dog's age will effect the efficiency of any cure offered and may only be a temporary reprieve anyway.

Hard decision.

My sympathy.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 2:54pm

He's definitely improved quite a bit after five days on the antibiotics but he's not over it yet. It's a ten day course. Neither of the other two have got it but I don't know what the incubation period is.
All our pets seem to live for ever butn rest assured, we don't prolong life if quality deteriorates.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print