Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ten reasons why I am no longer a leftist (Read 1975 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Ten reasons why I am no longer a leftist
Reply #30 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:52am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:08am:
Nixon! For gawd's sake you norven monkey!

Exhibit #1 folks: "you norven monkey!" (This only provides my patient 'helian' with temporary relief. The tension soon builds up in him again, and once more he is compelled to void himself with expletives and insult.

This condition of 'Anglophobic Envy' (ref. 'Shorter Oxford Dictionary of Neurotic Pathologies') is treatable in a clinical situation, but time-consuming and expensive, and I don't work pro bono.

The British Empire and its aristocratic class system was (or should have been) to all Americans, the antithesis of all the Declaration of Independence and Constitution stood for (even if Thomas Jefferson prophesied that ultimately the US would be as venal a power as any in Europe).

The much-maligned 'British class system' was one of the world's greatest institutions for the administration of its home country and its various colonies, and needless to say there has never been a civilisation in the history of Mankind that has not had a strong class-system of mandarins, rajahs, nabobs, chieftains, Elders, Kennedy clans, etc.

The class system in Australia has always been as entrenched and rampant as it ever was in the Mother Country, but it's played down here with the liberal use of terms-of-familiarity such as 'Maaaaaaate' ... and lots of foul-mouthed swearing and drunken behaviour.

The champagne-and-strawberries marquees at Flemington's Melbourne Cup is where you might catch a rare glimpse of some of Australia's glitterati from your bunyip aristocracy.

They are normally very shy about making an appearance in public, mostly remaining in their leafy North Shore mansions when they're not at the Opera House or the opening of new art gallery exhibitions.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 9:13am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:52am:
Nixon! For gawd's sake you norven monkey!

Exhibit #1 folks: "you norven monkey!" (This only provides my patient 'helian' with temporary relief. The tension soon builds up in him again, and once more he is compelled to void himself with expletives and insult.

This condition of 'Anglophobic Envy' (ref. 'Shorter Oxford Dictionary of Neurotic Pathologies') is treatable in a clinical situation, but time-consuming and expensive, and I don't work pro bono.

Took a while for you to bite "you norven monkey" but it gives me a chance to reminisce on the closest friends of my family... A Newcastle / Geordie family to whom my siblings and I will be forever grateful for their time and to Geordie land for blessing us with them. Where our parents were strict, this family was as homely as something out of a schmaltzy British soap opera - old worldly, loving and uber family centric. We still keep in contact with them.

But one thing about the northerners... Don't mention the khakis or the darkies... Something we didn't realise infected even our Geordie second family until we were much older (we being white n'all).

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:52am:
The British Empire and its aristocratic class system was (or should have been) to all Americans, the antithesis of all the Declaration of Independence and Constitution stood for (even if Thomas Jefferson prophesied that ultimately the US would be as venal a power as any in Europe).

The much-maligned 'British class system' was one of the world's greatest institutions for the administration of its home country and its various colonies, and needless to say there has never been a civilisation in the history of Mankind that has not had a strong class-system of mandarins, rajahs, nabobs, chieftains, Elders, Kennedy clans, etc.

And this from a working class norven monkey!

Reminds me of a line in a Simon Armitage (Yorkshireman) poem "You're Beautiful"... 'I'm ugly because once, at a dinner party, I defended the aristocracy and wasn't even drunk'.....

You haven't been drinking, have you, Herbert?

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2014 at 9:36am by NorthOfNorth »  

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #32 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:09am

cods wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 7:29am:
Dnarever wrote on Jul 28th, 2014 at 9:31pm:
cods wrote on Jul 28th, 2014 at 10:31am:
Dnarever wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 7:42pm:
Good work Data - it is difficult to find such rubbish, much of it is nonsense and probably more applicable to the conservatives anyway.

you read it though dont you?.. a bit like the Independent from wiseone you never complained about.. even when they claimed everyone else did it bar THOMO..he was so innocent..

and here you are twisting and turning..

at least that leftie got it right...

hows your good mates gillard and krudd these days.???... see they didnt last in politics did they?.... ;
how long do you give shortarse.. )

how long do you give shortarse

I think Abbott will last to the end of this term.

a bit like the Independent from wiseone you never complained about.. even when they claimed everyone else did it bar THOMO..he was so innocent..

Don't read the independent much - must have missed that story.

ha.ha.. missing the question as per usual you sure your not greenswhine on another day???...lol..

nup shortarse wont be there at the next election.just as Mr 76% wasnt..

oops now who stabbed him in the back... now who was it????????.....do you remember dna?

You saying that you were not refering to shortares Abbott ?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #33 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:12am

cods wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 8:48am:
I am surprised you bother trying to argue with them....none of us were around ion the days of yore...so at the very best its all a guess....all I hope is we improve rather than go backwards...

some wouldnt want that to happen thats why they keep harping on and on endlessly about the Brits.. and its all negative never positive....

all I can say is I hope if they ever need help they never call on the Brits for it..or the yanks for that matter who cop it no matter what they do.

nothing like being a couch critic.

I think it was Whitlam (I could be wrong) who, without any referendum, and at the stroke of a pen, and imperiously of his own accord, removed Australians from coming under the honorific of being 'British Subjects'.

And then the Australian media whipped up a storm of anti-British bile when in response to this gratuitous initiative, the Brits ~ quite correctly ~ made Australian visitors to the UK queue up at the 'Aliens' customs counter instead of the 'British Subjects' walk-through.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #34 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:26am

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 9:13am:

Exhibit #2: "You haven't been drinking, have you, Herbert?"

As I said, this provides him with only temporary relief from the 'Anglophobic Envy' that eats away at his guts like a parasitic worm. Just as with Crohn's Disease it's a real toughie to treat.

The seat of the English part of my family tree is in Lancashire and Devon ~ nowhere near your 'monkey' location.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 11:32am

Dnarever wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:09am:
cods wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 7:29am:
Dnarever wrote on Jul 28th, 2014 at 9:31pm:
cods wrote on Jul 28th, 2014 at 10:31am:
Dnarever wrote on Jul 27th, 2014 at 7:42pm:
Good work Data - it is difficult to find such rubbish, much of it is nonsense and probably more applicable to the conservatives anyway.

you read it though dont you?.. a bit like the Independent from wiseone you never complained about.. even when they claimed everyone else did it bar THOMO..he was so innocent..

and here you are twisting and turning..

at least that leftie got it right...

hows your good mates gillard and krudd these days.???... see they didnt last in politics did they?.... ;
how long do you give shortarse.. )

how long do you give shortarse

I think Abbott will last to the end of this term.

a bit like the Independent from wiseone you never complained about.. even when they claimed everyone else did it bar THOMO..he was so innocent..

Don't read the independent much - must have missed that story.

ha.ha.. missing the question as per usual you sure your not greenswhine on another day???...lol..

nup shortarse wont be there at the next election.just as Mr 76% wasnt..

oops now who stabbed him in the back... now who was it????????.....do you remember dna?

You saying that you were not refering to shortares Abbott ?

shortarse,.. pants down bill the dill...call him what you like.. hes a skunk.. a real stinkerroo...even been called a rapist...and we all know hes an adulterer dont we. Wink Wink.. calling him a skunk is being unkind to real skunks...

maybe just stick with bill the dill...or what about BRUTUS.....or.. maybe JUDAS. ...didnt he betray Jesus???

and we all know who bill betrayed dont we??? yuk yuk ...no matter what you say you cannot top that one..... would you trust bill the dill to feed your dog... I doubt it.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #36 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 1:58pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 10:26am:

So that's a 'no'... You're defending the aristocracy and you're not pissed?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 2:35pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 1:58pm:

Are you kidding?

The very fact that Britain and Australia live in a free democracy means that the very least of us can aspire to the dizzying heights of the aristocratic elite through hard work, self-sacrifice, study, etc.

Look at all the knighted 'Sirs' and 'Dames' they now have in the UK who came from very humble beginnings ... many of them still only semi-literate and poorly educated.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #38 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:00pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 2:35pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 1:58pm:

Are you kidding?

The very fact that Britain and Australia live in a free democracy means that the very least of us can aspire to the dizzying heights of the aristocratic elite through hard work, self-sacrifice, study, etc.

Look at all the knighted 'Sirs' and 'Dames' they now have in the UK who came from very humble beginnings ... many of them still only semi-literate and poorly educated. 

Don't think knighthoods and Dame Commanders qualify as aristocracy. Those are bestowed as recognition of merit not inheritance.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #39 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:13pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:00pm:
Don't think knighthoods and Dame Commanders qualify as aristocracy. Those are bestowed as recognition of merit not inheritance.

Aristocracy, helian.

A little 'nouveau' I'll admit, but 'Sir' or 'Dame' sits well with the Chardonnay set down at the tennis club on the North Shore.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:31pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:13pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Jul 29th, 2014 at 3:00pm:

Aristocracy, helian.

A little 'nouveau' I'll admit, but 'Sir' or 'Dame' sits well with the Chardonnay set down at the tennis club on the North Shore.

That we like to associate with member(s) of the meritocracy (a knight, a dame, a Nobel prize laureate, an AO etc...) is not an endorsement of aristocracy.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print