Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Taking the phone for a walk (Read 1234 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Taking the phone for a walk
Jul 4th, 2014 at 1:53pm

When I see a woman, usually a young woman, walking along the street with the phone glued, I think to my self, or I used to, who the hell can she be talking to all the time.
But a thought occurred to me - occasionally they do, but mostly they are dark - maybe this is a defence mechanism. Maybe they all think I'm less likely to be accosted or even bothered if men think I'm talking to someone.
And if they are, how smart are they.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Taking the phone for a walk
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2014 at 1:56pm

women talk all the time, with or without a phone ......

accept it.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2014 at 2:26pm

I liked the story in the paper a couple of months ago!

Apparently one of the silly bastards was so intent on looking at his /her phone that they walked off the end of St Kilda Pier!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2014 at 3:45pm

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 1:53pm:
When I see a woman, usually a young woman, walking along the street with the phone glued, I think to my self, or I used to, who the hell can she be talking to all the time.
But a thought occurred to me - occasionally they do, but mostly they are dark - maybe this is a defence mechanism. Maybe they all think I'm less likely to be accosted or even bothered if men think I'm talking to someone.
These people have zero situational awareness, victims waiting for a tragedy.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 4:06am

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 1:53pm:

EXACTLY, IT IS SMART!  Wink

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #5 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 6:38am

I walk around talking to my husband on the phone all the time and couldn't care less what other people think.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 8:32am

before I was married my wife was texting me and stepped out in front of a bus .... she was lucky the bus was stopping for a red light anyway ..

I felt that with that since she showed that sort of dedication, the least I could do was to marry her.  Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Reply #7 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 8:35am

As general and social anxiety increases in the population, people use things like phones as a way to avoid being engaged socially. We have seen the same trend with portable cassette and CD players with earphones.

Big Brother is watching you

IP Logged

sherri
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #8 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:20am

Grin Grin This post has really shown up how old I am.

I've never talked and walked on a mobile in my entire life.

Most of the time, I forget to even pack it in my bag with me and I have been shamed a few times when shopkeepers/medical staff have asked for a record of my number and I don't know it. Huh

I'm possibly the last person on the planet who isn't obsessed with it. I find myself getting annoyed at times-not with people who answer it, but with people who insist on texting back when we are together, when it isn't really necessary and could easily wait for half an hour or so.
I have a friend-a lovely, lovely person-but she does this. She can be having a cup of coffee with you then look at her phone and say-I'll just answer this. And be looking down at her phone for the next 15 minutes.

IP Logged

Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Reply #9 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:42am

sherri wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:20am:
Grin Grin This post has really shown up how old I am.

I've never talked and walked on a mobile in my entire life.

Most of the time, I forget to even pack it in my bag with me and I have been shamed a few times when shopkeepers/medical staff have asked for a record of my number and I don't know it. Huh

I'm possibly the last person on the planet who isn't obsessed with it. I find myself getting annoyed at times-not with people who answer it, but with people who insist on texting back when we are together, when it isn't really necessary and could easily wait for half an hour or so.
I have a friend-a lovely, lovely person-but she does this. She can be having a cup of coffee with you then look at her phone and say-I'll just answer this. And be looking down at her phone for the next 15 minutes.

I've hardly ever used mobile phones in my life, I always get taken aback when I'd hand in some form with no mobile phone number and be questioned by an incredulous looking young girl about not having a mobile phone or email address for that matter. Even when I have had them and don't want to end up on spam lists, I still get the same reaction. The last couple of generations must have been such easy prey for Greed Inc.

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 10:07am

I never bought a mobile until I needed one for work a short few years back. I admit I find it convenient but I don't bother answering or making calls while moving, foot or vehicle, or in public, I see no reason to share a personal call with the general public. I've become a tad unpopular with my friends and family too, if they attempt to use theirs while with me, I just take it off them and hang up, telling them if they want to be rude to me then they can wrack off.
Now if their phone rings they either ignore it or take off running, lol, and that suits me fine. Mostly though they just turn them off first, as I do, it's the polite thing to do in my book.
If I happen to walk past someone jabbering away while they're walking I'll usually yell at them suddenly as I pass, I figure I'm actually doing them a favour as it focuses them on their surroundings, and amuses me greatly in the process.
The weird thing is, some people call me arrogant, but what would those fools know anyway?  Grin

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 1:58pm

austranger wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 10:07am:
I never bought a mobile until I needed one for work a short few years back. I admit I find it convenient but I don't bother answering or making calls while moving, foot or vehicle, or in public, I see no reason to share a personal call with the general public. I've become a tad unpopular with my friends and family too, if they attempt to use theirs while with me, I just take it off them and hang up, telling them if they want to be rude to me then they can wrack off.
Now if their phone rings they either ignore it or take off running, lol, and that suits me fine. Mostly though they just turn them off first, as I do, it's the polite thing to do in my book.
If I happen to walk past someone jabbering away while they're walking I'll usually yell at them suddenly as I pass, I figure I'm actually doing them a favour as it focuses them on their surroundings, and amuses me greatly in the process.
The weird thing is, some people call me arrogant, but what would those fools know anyway?  Grin

I can empathise with that. I feel the same when someone calls me and then gets a call on call waiting, saying they've got another call and will ring me back. I tell them not to bother.
Of course if you're speaking to a business and it's important, you just have to put up with it.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

sherri
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #12 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:20am

Even on my landline phone, I have been known to let it ring if it doesn't suit me to answer it at the time. There is always messagebank.

But a lot of people seem to think a ringing phone or their text message tinkle means they are under some obligation to immediately answer it.

Yet they don't feel the same about emails.

Nothing so strange as folks, as they say. Smiley

IP Logged

Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Reply #13 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 11:15am

sherri wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:20am:
Even on my landline phone, I have been known to let it ring if it doesn't suit me to answer it at the time. There is always messagebank.

But a lot of people seem to think a ringing phone or their text message tinkle means they are under some obligation to immediately answer it.

Me too, phones are totally for MY convenience. I was brought up in a household in which the phone had to be answered as a matter of life and death. Whenever the phone rang, it was like a mini-crisis, DEFCON 1..

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #14 - Jul 7th, 2014 at 10:25am

Winston Smith wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 11:15am:
sherri wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:20am:

Me too, phones are totally for MY convenience. I was brought up in a household in which the phone had to be answered as a matter of life and death. Whenever the phone rang, it was like a mini-crisis, DEFCON 1..

I have no mobile phone: i love life now!!  Cheesy Wink Wink

The landline gets answered like it was DEFCON 1 but there is nothing better than remembering message bank.. ah, peace!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print