MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Re: Procreation Anyone?
Reply #60 - Jul 1st, 2014 at 11:28pm

Winston Smith wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 10:12am:
xiena wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 9:11pm:
Winston Smith wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 5:07pm:
xiena wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 5:03pm:
You bring reason into procreation. Bacteria procreate without reason. Lions procreate without reason. They don't ask why.

Why on earth do you think that human beings are any different? Reason is not involved.

People make a conscious decision to have children, how do you explain that?

Not all. Some do. A minority. Choosing not to have children is more of a conscious decision than choosing to have children. If the only births that happened were planned births, we'd be extinct by now.

You can't explain nature. The gene wants to survive. What we want is secondary.

Absolute bollocks, most people make a conscious choice to have kids by knowing what will happen and not taking any measures to prevent it. I see it's still quite a taboo subject for many; the reasons for this are purely selfish. Children are an accessory in the social status quo, a tick on the resume of percieved responsible adulthood. The truth is many people casually relegate sentient beings to a life sentence of suffering and struggle, in an already overpopulated, collapsing ecosystem, just to look after them in their old age or to appear 'normal'.

Certainly not enough thought could be said to be put into it!

..it's a curly one alright!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Reply #61 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 3:35am

Big Brother is watching you

IP Logged

sherri
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #62 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 7:58am

Winston Smith wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 10:29am:
I'll simplify it for you.

What were you thinking when you decided to have kids?

It's not a philosophical question.

You weren't asking this question of me, but I would venture to guess there is an element of curiosity & excitement in having a child, as well as the social reasons. Smiley
What will I have, will it look anything like me, what will it accomplish in life and how will I help it?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #63 - Jul 2nd, 2014 at 8:26am

sherri wrote on Jul 2nd, 2014 at 7:58am:

You weren't asking this question of me, but I would venture to guess there is an element of curiosity & excitement in having a child, as well as the social reasons. Smiley
What will I have, will it look anything like me, what will it accomplish in life and how will I help it?

You're a poet, Sherri. Nicely said.  Smiley

For those women who never get married and who forgo having children, I have no idea what their reasons are.

I lived with my spinster aunt for four years as a teenager, and my niece who is nearly 40 and unmarried without children ... I've never dared to broach the subject. Too personal.

I think they pay for it when they get into their twilight years, sitting alone in an empty house ... no phone calls ... no cards ... no visits ... no support ... no love from the kids to warm the cockles of their heart.

Sad.

IP Logged

sherri
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #64 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 8:17am

Herb said:

lived with my spinster aunt for four years as a teenager, and my niece who is nearly 40 and unmarried without children ... I've never dared to broach the subject. Too personal.

I think they pay for it when they get into their twilight years, sitting alone in an empty house ... no phone calls ... no cards ... no visits ... no support ... no love from the kids to warm the cockles of their heart.

Sad.

Our society doesn't cater well for the person who is alone, either single or without a lot of friends.

My brother is single, currently in a palliative care unit. My sister and I visit daily to chat, collect & return washing and so on. He has regular visits from friends, although it is getting harder & harder for a friend to visit as my brother has trouble speaking or engaging in conversation.

But I have wondered what would happen if my brother had been an only child or if he had been living overseas away from family.

Who would give the patient what he needs or supervise eating or all those things? Believe you me, it isn't done in our system so it would probably be even worse in some other societies.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #65 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 8:49am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jul 2nd, 2014 at 8:26am:

You're a poet, Sherri. Nicely said.  Smiley

For those women who never get married and who forgo having children, I have no idea what their reasons are.

I lived with my spinster aunt for four years as a teenager, and my niece who is nearly 40 and unmarried without children ... I've never dared to broach the subject. Too personal.

Sad.

Not all women can have kids!

Sadly family leave them to get lonely very early in life: family are so cruel to each other!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #66 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 8:54am

sherri wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 8:17am:
Herb said:

lived with my spinster aunt for four years as a teenager, and my niece who is nearly 40 and unmarried without children ... I've never dared to broach the subject. Too personal.

Sad.

Our society doesn't cater well for the person who is alone, either single or without a lot of friends.

My brother is single, currently in a palliative care unit. My sister and I visit daily to chat, collect & return washing and so on. He has regular visits from friends, although it is getting harder & harder for a friend to visit as my brother has trouble speaking or engaging in conversation.

But I have wondered what would happen if my brother had been an only child or if he had been living overseas away from family.

Who would give the patient what he needs or supervise eating or all those things? Believe you me, it isn't done in our system so it would probably be even worse in some other societies.

You, and your sister, are truly one in a million.

Not a lot of families are that good. Obviously some are completely cold but I suppose most aren't totally.

IP Logged

Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Reply #67 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:00am

Okay what about everything we know about overpopulation, rising costs of living, limited resources, peak oil, global warming, desertification and all the other environmental pressures of an out of control human avalanche?

I'm sorry but those emotive appeals don't cut it anymore, that mentality is selfish, morally bankrupt and criminal in the extreme.

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #68 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:08am

austranger wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 10:27am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 5:32pm:
austranger wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 5:09pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 4:59pm:
austranger wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 4:09pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 3:52pm:
sherri wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 3:49pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 3:22pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 3:19pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 2:56pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jun 30th, 2014 at 2:40pm:
____ wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 7:16pm:
Grand Duke Imam Mahdi wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 7:12pm:
No wonder the greens get no votes these days.

Come on, you had your chance in the other thread and you ran.
Don't post the same endless drivel in this thread and ignore the opening question.

Why do humans have to procreate ... simple enough question surely.

For the same reason everything else in Nature does.

And what is that reason?

Continuation of the species is the simplest way to put it.

For what reason though?

Sometimes there doesn't have to be a reason. Smiley

It's sort of like chocolate, having a child can give people a deep sense of pleasure. Smiley

I had a friend who told us how she viewed it. For years she had listened to other women tell their birthing tales, their tales of toddlers, tales of parenthood, and then she eventually had a child.
"I have my own story now," she said.

Deep satisfaction.

If you don't want children, don't have any, it isn't obligatory.
But for a lot of people, having at least one child is something they yearn for.

And why shouldn't people exist? We have as much right to be here as any butterfly or elephant or any other form of life.

I think the world would be better off if we could lower population numbers, lower the birth rate, but trying to stop people from reproducing at all would just not work.

It is what it is, you just have to accept some things.

I'm not questioning why individuals have kids.

I'm asking why the "continuation of the species" is important.

Why is breathing important?
Same answer, because that's the way the Universe (Nature) made us.
We are what we are, it's really that simple, and the drive to breed is a part of what we are, exactly the same as every other form of life on this planet, because without that we wouldn't exist, would we?
Like I said, the question is a futile flight of philosophical fantasy  Wink

I don't think you read the question properly.

I'm not talking about breeding.

Or, to put it another way, why is it important that we exist?

Totally meaningless question, on any real level.
You're basically getting into the realm of "The Meaning of Life", a question better posted on the Philosophy board.

It's a perfectly legitimate question.

I didn't question it's legitimacy, any question is innately legitimate, I said it was meaningless, which it is.
We exist, therefore we exist, if we don't breed we won't exist. Importance is a value judgement, and one has to ask in relation to what, or how, you establish it. Hence it is Philosophy even to ask. Since if we didn't exist we couldn't ask, it's meaningless in any real sense, it's word games, soul searching, call it what you will.

Wink
You've moved the goal posts just a tad, lol.
I quote you:
"I'm not talking about breeding.

Or, to put it another way, why is it important that we exist? "

If that isn't a philosophical question then I'm your Aunty Mary's left titt!

So, now you want my personal reasons for so deciding?
Well I'll answer, sort of, it's far too complicated to go into at length here.
Basically because since I had an adopted son I loved who was lonely and I myself wanted to have kids carrying my own genes, and the missus didn't give a sh*t either way, she was totally non-maternal, which explains me ending up a single-dad shortly after the birth of my second natural child (I wanted six actually  Shocked).
Obviously I've reduced it nearly ad absurdum but it's as near as I'm willing to go.
I'll just have to hope that that leaves you in a state of enlightenment.  Wink

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #69 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:14am

BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 8:54am:
Herb said:

Sad.

Not a lot of families are that good. Obviously some are completely cold but I suppose most aren't totally.

I agree with the sentiment you express but I believe those odds would more likely be one in a thousand, as a general rule we're not quite that heartless.....yet.
I also believe we ARE heading that way though, unfortunately for all concerned.  Cry

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Reply #70 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:38am

austranger wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:08am:

Wink
I quote you:

Basically because since I had an adopted son I loved who was lonely and I myself wanted to have kids carrying my own genes, and the missus didn't give a sh*t either way, she was totally non-maternal, which explains me ending up a single-dad shortly after the birth of my second natural child (I wanted six actually  Shocked).
Obviously I've reduced it nearly ad absurdum but it's as near as I'm willing to go.

I think you are confusing me with greggarypeccary, I hijacked this thread because it's a subject close to my heart.

The crux of the discussion is why would someone make the conscious decision to bring sentient life into the world, given the imminent collapse of systems which can nuture that life? It's not a philosophical question at all, it's a conscious decision based on free will. The meaning of existence is a separate issue, you have the choice to reproduce, it's not inevitable.

This is a moral issue, hence the taboo surrounding the subject, which is becoming more and more evident as this thread evolves. In fact I think the same social Darwinist underpinnings are coming to light in this thread, that are the basis for many of the irrational positions taken on many issues on these forums.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #71 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 10:35am

Wink
I quote you:

Well done for taking on adoption: this world needs people like your good self!

Wink

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #72 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 10:37am

austranger wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:14am:
BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 8:54am:
Herb said:

Sad.

I agree with the sentiment you express but I believe those odds would more likely be one in a thousand, as a general rule we're not quite that heartless.....yet.
I also believe we ARE heading that way though, unfortunately for all concerned.  Cry

They go and see him everyday: !

That's pretty good:  Wink

IP Logged

Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Reply #73 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 10:50am

So it seems that the argument for reproducing boils down to a kind of emotional obstinacy of last man standing at all costs.

That is not rational.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

people died for this!

Reply #74 - Jul 3rd, 2014 at 11:11am

Winston Smith wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:38am:

Wink
I quote you:

I think you are confusing me with greggarypeccary, I hijacked this thread because it's a subject close to my heart.

The crux of the discussion is why would someone make the conscious decision to bring sentient life into the world, given the imminent collapse of systems which can nuture that life? It's not a philosophical question at all, it's a conscious decision based on free will. The meaning of existence is a separate issue, you have the choice to reproduce, it's not inevitable.

This is a moral issue, hence the taboo surrounding the subject, which is becoming more and more evident as this thread evolves. In fact I think the same social Darwinist underpinnings are coming to light in this thread, that are the basis for many of the irrational positions taken on many issues on these forums.

I'm a bit dodgy on your definition of what is and isn't 'philosophical' I must say!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print