Winston Smith wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 9:44am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 9:41am:
Winston Smith wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 9:31am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 9:17am:
Winston Smith wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:00am:
sherri wrote on Jul 2nd, 2014 at 7:58am:
Winston Smith wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 10:29am:
I'll simplify it for you.

What were you thinking when you decided to have kids?

It's not a philosophical question.

You weren't asking this question of me, but I would venture to guess there is an element of curiosity & excitement in having a child, as well as the social reasons. Smiley
What will I have, will it look anything like me, what will it accomplish in life and how will I help it?

Okay what about everything we know about overpopulation, rising costs of living, limited resources, peak oil, global warming, desertification and all the other environmental pressures of an out of control human avalanche?

I'm sorry but those emotive appeals don't cut it anymore, that mentality is selfish, morally bankrupt and criminal in the extreme.

None of those have any actual bearing on reproduction, or the drive to procreate. Oil, resources, global warming and desertification only affect our comfort levels, and are not valid reasons for suicide of the entire species.

So you considered these factors and came to the above conclusion before making the conscious choice to reproduce?

I suppose so. I ignored them and listened to the biological imperative instead.

Can you explain what that is please?

Perhaps not in a way you'll understand or accept, but I'll do my best.

The basic drive behind ALL life is to reproduce itself and (in most species) to 'spread' it's own dna far and wide.

Most animals will only reproduce under favourable conditions. But we aren't talking about other animals, we are talking about humans. We are aware of our sex drive (libido) and can control it.

Insects, plants, fish, mammals all do this, aggressively in some cases. In humans, the methods are changed by society, but the intent ( to make yourself the ideal mate) remains the same.

The human brain changes everything, we are self conscious and capable of formulating plans and enacting them. We have sex because it feels good to fulfill the urges of libido. We choose when to reproduce, or whether or not to attempt to prevent conception.

In the distant the best hunter/provider was the ideal, now it seems to be based on financial security. But it's still the same purpose.

Do you mean how people go about choosing a mate, or why people reproduce?

You seem to be confusing the nature of sexual selection with the reasons for carrying it out. But I think we have managed to extract a key piece of information. You reproduced because you could, so you did without any consideration for the impact on the environment or the new life you were bringing into it. That isn't biological imperative, it's carelessness.

Big Brother is watching you

IP Logged

Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Re: Procreation Anyone?
Reply #91 - Jul 4th, 2014 at 10:30am

austranger wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 10:11am:
Winston Smith wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 11:50am:
austranger wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 11:41am:
BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 11:11am:
Winston Smith wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:38am:
austranger wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:08am:

Wink
You've moved the goal posts just a tad, lol.
I quote you:
"I'm not talking about breeding.

I'm asking why the "continuation of the species" is important.

Or, to put it another way, why is it important that we exist? "

If that isn't a philosophical question then I'm your Aunty Mary's left titt!

So, now you want my personal reasons for so deciding?
Well I'll answer, sort of, it's far too complicated to go into at length here.
Basically because since I had an adopted son I loved who was lonely and I myself wanted to have kids carrying my own genes, and the missus didn't give a sh*t either way, she was totally non-maternal, which explains me ending up a single-dad shortly after the birth of my second natural child (I wanted six actually  Shocked).
Obviously I've reduced it nearly ad absurdum but it's as near as I'm willing to go.
I'll just have to hope that that leaves you in a state of enlightenment.  Wink

I think you are confusing me with greggarypeccary, I hijacked this thread because it's a subject close to my heart.

The crux of the discussion is why would someone make the conscious decision to bring sentient life into the world, given the imminent collapse of systems which can nuture that life? It's not a philosophical question at all, it's a conscious decision based on free will. The meaning of existence is a separate issue, you have the choice to reproduce, it's not inevitable.

This is a moral issue, hence the taboo surrounding the subject, which is becoming more and more evident as this thread evolves. In fact I think the same social Darwinist underpinnings are coming to light in this thread, that are the basis for many of the irrational positions taken on many issues on these forums.

I'm a bit dodgy on your definition of what is and isn't 'philosophical' I must say!!!

I don't see why?
"Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language." Wikipedia

Since the question was about the meaning of/reason for/importance of, the continued existence, reproduction of, the human race, us, it would appear to readily fit that description.

We aren't discussing that, it was clear from the very beginning what was being asked.

What is the reasoning behind the conscious, free will driven decision taken by YOU to reproduce?

Strange perceptions there, you ask about the "reasoning behind/involved in, a given decision, but think that's NOT a philosophical question?
"Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language."
See what I'm getting at now?

Why can't you answer the question?

IP Logged

Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Reply #92 - Jul 4th, 2014 at 10:31am

bump

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #93 - Jul 4th, 2014 at 1:59pm

Winston Smith wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 10:29am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 10:07am:

You weren't asking this question of me, but I would venture to guess there is an element of curiosity & excitement in having a child, as well as the social reasons. Smiley
What will I have, will it look anything like me, what will it accomplish in life and how will I help it?

Okay what about everything we know about overpopulation, rising costs of living, limited resources, peak oil, global warming, desertification and all the other environmental pressures of an out of control human avalanche?

I'm sorry but those emotive appeals don't cut it anymore, that mentality is selfish, morally bankrupt and criminal in the extreme.

None of those have any actual bearing on reproduction, or the drive to procreate. Oil, resources, global warming and desertification only affect our comfort levels, and are not valid reasons for suicide of the entire species.

So you considered these factors and came to the above conclusion before making the conscious choice to reproduce?

The basic drive behind ALL life is to reproduce itself and (in most species) to 'spread' it's own dna far and wide.

Most animals will only reproduce under favourable conditions. But we aren't talking about other animals, we are talking about humans. We are aware of our sex drive (libido) and can control it.

Insects, plants, fish, mammals all do this, aggressively in some cases. In humans, the methods are changed by society, but the intent ( to make yourself the ideal mate) remains the same.

The human brain changes everything, we are self conscious and capable of formulating plans and enacting them. We have sex because it feels good to fulfill the urges of libido. We choose when to reproduce, or whether or not to attempt to prevent conception.

In the distant the best hunter/provider was the ideal, now it seems to be based on financial security. But it's still the same purpose.

You seem to be confusing the nature of sexual selection with the reasons for carrying it out. But I think we have managed to extract a key piece of information. You reproduced because you could, so you did without any consideration for the impact on the environment or the new life you were bringing into it. That isn't biological imperative, it's carelessness.

No, we do have control over WHEN we reproduce (humans don't have a mating season), but even conscious control can be over ridden by subconscious drives.

And how choose a mate and why they reproduce are basically the same thing.

No it's not carelessness, it was the realisation that man is a very adaptable creature (perhaps the most adaptable?), even more so now due to our technological abilities. The 'impact on environment' is not, or should not be, a very large issue. We haven't even scratched the surface of our potential to adapt to different living conditions, such as undersea, orbital and other planets/bodies within our solar system.

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Reply #94 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:27am

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 1:59pm:

No, we do have control over WHEN we reproduce (humans don't have a mating season), but even conscious control can be over ridden by subconscious drives.

No it's not carelessness, it was the realisation that man is a very adaptable creature (perhaps the most adaptable?), even more so now due to our technological abilities. The 'impact on environment' is not, or should not be, a very large issue. We haven't even scratched the surface of our potential to adapt to different living conditions, such as undersea, orbital and other planets/bodies within our solar system.

All the information available throughout your life, pointed to the fact that the systems we depend upon for our lifestyles are being eroded to the point of likely collapse in your lifetime, mostly due to overpopulation. You carelessly decided to do whatever you felt like in the moment anyway, further compounding and accelerating the collapse, purely based on the economic idealogy that you have been brainwashed with since birth. You did this without any consideration for the quality of life that new sentient life would experience, instead choosing to adhere to principles of the herd. You are a classic example of the many dangerously deluded people I have encountered in my time.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #95 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 12:48pm

____ wrote on Jun 28th, 2014 at 7:01pm:
Why?
Why do we have to procreate and continue the human species?

Brought it up in a gay marriage thread and have had no luck at getting anyone to discuss this there.

So what's your reasoning for continuing to procreate the human race.

Here we go, another attempt at making homosexuality acceptable and even the 'ecologically responsible choice'.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #96 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 1:56pm

Soren wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 12:48pm:
Why?

Brought it up in a gay marriage thread and have had no luck at getting anyone to discuss this there.

Here we go, another attempt at making homosexuality acceptable and even the 'ecologically responsible choice'.

It is acceptable ... to open minded people that haven't an axe to grind.

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #97 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 2:06pm

Winston Smith wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 10:30am:
austranger wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 10:11am:
Winston Smith wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 11:50am:
austranger wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 11:41am:
BatteriesNotIncluded wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 11:11am:
Winston Smith wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:38am:
austranger wrote on Jul 3rd, 2014 at 9:08am:

Wink
You've moved the goal posts just a tad, lol.
I quote you:
"I'm not talking about breeding.

I'm asking why the "continuation of the species" is important.

Or, to put it another way, why is it important that we exist? "

If that isn't a philosophical question then I'm your Aunty Mary's left titt!

So, now you want my personal reasons for so deciding?
Well I'll answer, sort of, it's far too complicated to go into at length here.
Basically because since I had an adopted son I loved who was lonely and I myself wanted to have kids carrying my own genes, and the missus didn't give a sh*t either way, she was totally non-maternal, which explains me ending up a single-dad shortly after the birth of my second natural child (I wanted six actually  Shocked).
Obviously I've reduced it nearly ad absurdum but it's as near as I'm willing to go.
I'll just have to hope that that leaves you in a state of enlightenment.  Wink

I think you are confusing me with greggarypeccary, I hijacked this thread because it's a subject close to my heart.

The crux of the discussion is why would someone make the conscious decision to bring sentient life into the world, given the imminent collapse of systems which can nuture that life? It's not a philosophical question at all, it's a conscious decision based on free will. The meaning of existence is a separate issue, you have the choice to reproduce, it's not inevitable.

This is a moral issue, hence the taboo surrounding the subject, which is becoming more and more evident as this thread evolves. In fact I think the same social Darwinist underpinnings are coming to light in this thread, that are the basis for many of the irrational positions taken on many issues on these forums.

I'm a bit dodgy on your definition of what is and isn't 'philosophical' I must say!!!

I don't see why?
"Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language." Wikipedia

Since the question was about the meaning of/reason for/importance of, the continued existence, reproduction of, the human race, us, it would appear to readily fit that description.

We aren't discussing that, it was clear from the very beginning what was being asked.

What is the reasoning behind the conscious, free will driven decision taken by YOU to reproduce?

Strange perceptions there, you ask about the "reasoning behind/involved in, a given decision, but think that's NOT a philosophical question?
"Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language."
See what I'm getting at now?

Why can't you answer the question?

Look back a bit, I ALREADY DID! On philosophical AND personal reasons.  Smiley

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

xiena

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #98 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 4:37pm

Winston Smith wrote on Jul 1st, 2014 at 10:12am:
Absolute bollocks, most people make a conscious choice to have kids by knowing what will happen and not taking any measures to prevent it. I see it's still quite a taboo subject for many; the reasons for this are purely selfish. Children are an accessory in the social status quo, a tick on the resume of percieved responsible adulthood. The truth is many people casually relegate sentient beings to a life sentence of suffering and struggle, in an already overpopulated, collapsing ecosystem, just to look after them in their old age or to appear 'normal'.

Why don't you do some research before saying "absolute bollocks" to a complete stranger? The study is from the US, but it's not much different to Australia.  Use your brain to think, not your absolute bollocks (like most men).

Google "Unintended Pregnancy in the United States" (guttmacher)

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #99 - Jul 5th, 2014 at 10:37pm

____ wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 1:56pm:
Why?

Homos are the most closed minded people: all sorts of people accept opposition to them but not the homos. You are simply not allowed to oppose homos.
You either accept them as legit equals to normal people or you are damned by their snarling.
Vicious bastards.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #100 - Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:40pm

Why?

Would you like your kid to be a homo?

Cheesy

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #101 - Jul 8th, 2014 at 6:06pm

Soren wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:40pm:
Why?

Cheesy

Not bothered ... as long as they are happy in their own skin.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #102 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 9:30pm

Winston Smith wrote on Jul 5th, 2014 at 9:27am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 4th, 2014 at 1:59pm:

All the information available throughout your life, pointed to the fact that the systems we depend upon for our lifestyles are being eroded to the point of likely collapse in your lifetime, mostly due to overpopulation.

Well actually, no not really. 'All the information available' etc doesn't point to any such thing.
And even if some of the systems did collapse, i.e oil running out, what of it? 'lifestyle' ISN'T a major requirement for continued human existence, it's a variable condition and not a reason to bring in any sort of ZPG idea.

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #103 - Jul 9th, 2014 at 11:49pm

Wouldn't it be true that the most stupid uneducated people in the world have the most children?

If so our gene pool is lowering the average intelligence.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #104 - Jul 10th, 2014 at 12:16am

Soren wrote on Jul 6th, 2014 at 8:40pm:
Why?

Cheesy

No chatting up the guests, old boy. You can go back to your room now.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print