Send Topic Print
Orbit (Read 556 times)
Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Orbit
Jun 27th, 2014 at 1:56pm

I was just thinking about the solar system. Is the sun truly at the centre with the planets orbiting? Or is each obriting around the other at the centre of their combined mass? According to special relativity each body can consider itself at rest in an intertial frame. I think I'm beginning to see how general relativity is a theory of gravity. Anyone else thought about this?

Big Brother is watching you

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Re: Orbit
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2014 at 2:22pm

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Keep studying, you'll get there, the fact that you are even thinking about it is a good sign, so keep going. ...

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

Kytro
Gold Member

Blasphemy: a victimless
crime

Adelaide
Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2014 at 12:24pm

Object orbit a central point. In the case of the sun and say earth, the point they orbit is inside the sun.

IP Logged

Grand Duke Imam Gandalf

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2014 at 11:39pm

I am too busy being a Smart Ass intimidating people so they get banned by backward little old ladies like Annie Anthrax with Free Divers Divers BALLS in my mouth.

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2014 at 9:29am

Winston Smith wrote on Jun 27th, 2014 at 1:56pm:
I was just thinking about the solar system. Is the sun truly at the centre with the planets orbiting? Or is each obriting around the other at the centre of their combined mass? According to special relativity each body can consider itself at rest in an intertial frame. I think I'm beginning to see how general relativity is a theory of gravity. Anyone else thought about this?

Yeh- a shared point, yet that shared point would move around !

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print