Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Will God and religion become redundant ?

Yes, as science expands in knowledge    
  9 (60.0%)
No, God will always be believed by the majority.    
  6 (40.0%)

Total votes: 15
« Last Modified by: stryder on: Jun 12th, 2014 at 10:46pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Will God and religion become redundant ? (Read 15438 times)
stryder
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Will God and religion become redundant ?
Jun 12th, 2014 at 10:41pm

Statistics about religion accummulated through the census over the decades have noticed that athiesm/agnostism or no religion is on the rise, while those practicing christianity is on the decline, Despite the fact that Islam is on the rise globally

But those on the left believe god and religion is on the way out where the human race might be at a stage where it would render religion or the concept of God obselete, and atheism will become the majority, do you think this will happen ???
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2014 at 10:56pm by stryder »  

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Will God and religion become redundant ?
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2014 at 10:50pm

Whilst I as an atheist would like us to replace God and religion, I know it won't happen on the basis people are generally fearful and stupid.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 1:07am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 12th, 2014 at 10:50pm:
Whilst I as an atheist would like us to replace God and religion, I know it won't happen on the basis people are generally fearful and stupid.

Precisely.

I can understand a child being afraid of the dark, but I cannot understand an adult being afraid of the light.
- Plato

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 2:45am

stryder wrote on Jun 12th, 2014 at 10:41pm:
Statistics about religion accummulated through the census over the decades have noticed that athiesm/agnostism or no religion is on the rise, while those practicing christianity is on the decline, Despite the fact that Islam is on the rise globally

But those on the left believe god and religion is on the way out where the human race might be at a stage where it would render religion or the concept of God obselete, and atheism will become the majority, do you think this will happen ???

I thought the practising muslims were greatly waning.
apostates are increasing like a groundswell

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 12:51pm

There will always be a certain mindset that will believe in god.

It appears we are hard-wired for faith. One of those moments when you're trying to predict the future, because you are hoping for a certain outcome, then you'll likely feel the gravity of superstition... If I touch wood... If these lights turn green... If I don't step on the cracks... If the next card's a Jack.... Then all will be good.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Kytro
Gold Member

Blasphemy: a victimless
crime

Adelaide
Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 4:00pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Jun 12th, 2014 at 10:50pm:

Not stupid, ignorant.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 4:24pm

Christianity is only on the decline in Western countries. It's rising everywhere else - Africa, South America, Asia (perhaps not the Middle east).

The gods will return one day to the west. Maybe not for a few hundred years, but it's inevitable. The disenchantment of all phenomena will run its course and the sense of mystery will return.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 5:10pm

Forces and items of nature exist independently of human beings (yet even we are a force and item of nature). All we do is observe them and manipulate them. So why are they here and why do they do what they do? The concept of 'force' was emptied of meaning by Newton. He simply wanted to measure forces, rather than ask why they do what they do. 

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 5:15pm

Depends on whether you recognise religion by principle or by labels.  That is to say, that many things you now call ideologies have all the hallmarks of religions, but aren't recognised as such by most.  I suspect this lack of recognition has something to do with the very strong correlation between professed atheism and adherence to these religions ideologies.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 5:27pm

scrap that.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 5:29pm

yeah, steadfast adherence to some point in religious-like fervour is common for militant atheists. I'd like to see them argue on the epistemological side of things more.

IP Logged

Sappho
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 5:50pm

I don't think that is the sciences that make the masses irreligious. I think it has more to do with affluence.

"Love is a cunning weaver of fantasies and fables."

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 6:00pm

Affluence is definitely part of it. There's also been a concerted growth in rancour toward authority figures over the past few decades.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #13 - Jun 13th, 2014 at 6:57pm

Sappho wrote on Jun 13th, 2014 at 5:50pm:
I don't think that is the sciences that make the masses irreligious. I think it has more to do with affluence.

And that is exactly what the God of the O.T. regularly complained about - concerning his covenant people.

Time and gain, the God of Israel [and of Judah] in the O.T., complained that whenever the two kingdoms of Israel and Judah became affluent and prosperous, the people left off from following their covenant [and the statutes of righteousness] of their God.

e.g.
Isaiah 1:21
How is the faithful city become an harlot! it was full of judgment; righteousness lodged in it; but now murderers.
22  Thy silver is become dross, thy wine mixed with water:
23  Thy princes are rebellious, and companions of thieves: every one loveth gifts, and followeth after rewards: they judge not the fatherless, neither doth the cause of the widow come unto them.

Jeremiah 44:7
Therefore now thus saith the LORD, the God of hosts, the God of Israel; Wherefore commit ye this great evil against your souls, to cut off from you man and woman, child and suckling, out of Judah, to leave you none to remain;
8  In that ye provoke me unto wrath with the works of your hands, burning incense unto other gods in the land of Egypt, whither ye be gone to dwell, that ye might cut yourselves off, and that ye might be a curse and a reproach among all the nations of the earth?
9  Have ye forgotten the wickedness of your fathers, and the wickedness of the kings of Judah, and the wickedness of their wives, and your own wickedness, and the wickedness of your wives, which they have committed in the land of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem?
10  They are not humbled even unto this day, neither have they feared, nor walked in my law, nor in my statutes, that I set before you and before your fathers.
11  Therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will set my face against you for evil, and to cut off all Judah.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Kytro
Gold Member

Blasphemy: a victimless
crime

Adelaide
Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2014 at 1:34pm

Yadda wrote on Jun 13th, 2014 at 6:57pm:
And that is exactly what the God of the O.T. regularly complained about - concerning his covenant people.

No surprises there. The religious leaders need something to keep in other competing powers in check.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print