Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
What mushroom is this? (Read 11678 times)
austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Re: What mushroom is this?
Reply #75 - May 2nd, 2014 at 10:16pm

Sophia wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 8:46pm:
Austranger, I went to another computer place today, and he seems to have more updated equipment (at least windows 7) and recovery stuff.

He looked at the hard drive, and looked at the little board with all them silver squiggles (forgot what it's called) and said, the trouble is, if there is an encrypting and password, it may be difficult to get into it, and I assured him, no password, or I will forget!
So at least that was a blessing.

He phoned me a couple of hours later, and said the good news is he can access the files and started to download a couple of photos to see if it works, and it does.
He said that only a few files may not be accessible for some reason, and that the hard drive was extensively damaged.

I was shocked because, I treat it like a carton of eggs, and put it in a box and in in the fireproof safe when I go away etc. for safe keeping.

I asked what sort of damage, and he said "You tell me"

I cannot, for the life of me, understand how it can be 'that damaged'.
How, just how?
Things were broken inside it, (the smaller usb end had come away loose).
Anyway, by next Monday, he will tell me the quote to recover it (about 500gb) and says it will take some time (gulp).
I saw their quote were something like $44 per hour.

Next thing was a data recovery centre I found in Melbourne, and they put on white overalls, hair cap, gloves, glasses and mask, and go into a sterile room and undo the hard drive to access the internals (all magnetic stuff etc) and recover it that way. Many hundreds of dollars, depending how attached you are to your photos!

You've given me nightmares now I reckon, lol, I'll be seeing those dollar numbers spinning over.
   I think I'll wait a bit, my bro is planning to expand his business soon and re-equip with some new tech, he says that might help getting into my HD. The good thing about that is that he won't charge me, says it'll be good practice for him, gotta love them family connections at times, eh?
   Thanks for the info though, there's still no guarantee he'll be any more successful than before. Undecided

Any day with a smile in it is a good day

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #76 - May 2nd, 2014 at 10:18pm

austranger wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:16pm:
Austranger, I went to another computer place today, and he seems to have more updated equipment (at least windows 7) and recovery stuff.

He looked at the hard drive, and looked at the little board with all them silver squiggles (forgot what it's called) and said, the trouble is, if there is an encrypting and password, it may be difficult to get into it, and I assured him, no password, or I will forget!

He phoned me a couple of hours later, and said the good news is he can access the files and started to download a couple of photos to see if it works, and it does.
He said that only a few files may not be accessible for some reason, and that the hard drive was extensively damaged.

I was shocked because, I treat it like a carton of eggs, and put it in a box and in in the fireproof safe when I go away etc. for safe keeping.

How, just how?
Anyway, by next Monday, he will tell me the quote to recover it (about 500gb) and says it will take some time (gulp).

Next thing was a data recovery centre I found in Melbourne, and they put on white overalls, hair cap, gloves, glasses and mask, and go into a sterile room and undo the hard drive to access the internals (all magnetic stuff etc) and recover it that way. Many hundreds of dollars, depending how attached you are to your photos!

You've given me nightmares now I reckon, lol, I'll be seeing those dollar numbers spinning over.
   I think I'll wait a bit, my bro is planning to expand his business soon and re-equip with some new tech, he says that might help getting into my HD. The good thing about that is that he won't charge me, says it'll be good practice for him, gotta love them family connections at times, eh?
   Thanks for the info though, there's still no guarantee he'll be any more successful than before. Undecided
           If there's one thing I learned being a parent it's patience.  Wink

Blowed if I know how I doubled up here though!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #77 - May 2nd, 2014 at 10:27pm

Sophia wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:05pm:
Here is a pic of them mushrooms, less a few that I cooked already.

They certainly look alright.

Tell us tomorrow if you feel ok. please.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #78 - May 2nd, 2014 at 10:56pm

austranger wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:18pm:
austranger wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:16pm:

How, just how?

If there's one thing I learned being a parent it's patience.  Wink

Blowed if I know how I doubled up here though!

It happened to me a lot when I was newer on this forum, instead of pushing the modify button, I push the quote button, as they are so close together them two choices.

You can delete your double ups, but can't delete you made a post, and just put a full stop there and then post the message.
Try it out and see what I mean.
Anyway, I wish I had gone to this person earlier, instead of everyone having a fiddle with my hard drive. Makes me think more denied access could happen etc.
How do I know whether the 2 previous computers that tried to access it, didn't corrupt some of it along the way?

Anyway, next week, I am guessing, @ $44 per hour, probably will be something like $132 minimum.

Did I tell you, I bought 2 new external hard drives (Seagate), so I call them Twin 1 and Twin 2, and will double up all my photos on them both, so if one plays up, I have the other one.
Can't trust this digital new age.
If they had this in them olden golden days, we would have no photos to see what our history was like.

Can't beat the old rolls of film and negatives eh?

And they say re: digital media with photos on them, a photo isn't a photo, until it's printed.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #79 - May 2nd, 2014 at 10:58pm

You can store 9 GBytes of photos on a DVD -

just burn some DVDs.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #80 - May 2nd, 2014 at 10:59pm

Bobby. wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:27pm:

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/lolsnet/_DSC1176Small.jpg

Still here and breathing  Smiley
What recipe do you  have for these strong tasting mushrooms that will make the taste more appealing?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #81 - May 2nd, 2014 at 11:02pm

Sophia wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:59pm:

What recipe do you  have for these strong tasting mushrooms that will make the taste more appealing?

Don't eat any more of those mushrooms.
They shouldn't have a chemical flavor.
It should  be a lovely flavor.

If you must - then fry with bacon & butter & put mixed Italian herbs on top.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #82 - May 2nd, 2014 at 11:05pm

Bobby. wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:02pm:

Okey dokey, I promise not to eat any more mushrooms until Sunday, then try them again then.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #83 - May 2nd, 2014 at 11:06pm

Sophia wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:05pm:
Bobby. wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:02pm:

Okey dokey, I promise not to eat any more mushrooms until Sunday, then try them again then.

Good idea.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #84 - May 2nd, 2014 at 11:14pm

Bobby. wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:58pm:

just burn some DVDs.

I used to do that, when I took less photos and had a 4 mega pix digi cam.
But now I have a 24 mega pix camera, about 15mb a photo.

Trouble is, I have one external hard drive with photos that have filled 1 TB.
And this damaged one, has 500gb of photos.
As a DVD has about 4.7 gb (where do you get the ones that store 9gb?) anyway, divide 9 gb into 500 gb, that's a lot of discs!
What worries me about the CD's is that they can corrupt also and the computer may not be able to read them.
Usually they last approx 5 years.
Unless you buy the expensive gold infused ones, that have archival of 100 years.
In 100 years, what technology will be able to read them then?

Even in 30 years from now?

I have found, even with our old negatives, unless you have a scanner (as I do) to scan them onto your computer, it will cost you now, about $1 per negative to be printed from the camera stores.

It is becoming a bit of an exclusive thing.

And that is what will happen with CD/DVDs.

Hard drives, and usb sticks, and sd cards, look how far they have come in a short while, and things will change for different medias

I went and asked why is it, when I put photos onto a usb stick, with some videos I had taken with my dslr, and put the usb stick in the usb port on the back of the 'smart tv' it only shows the photos and not the video.

Get an answer something like......different file reading, have to change the video files. Roll Eyes

And PS......even the usb sticks are changing from this 2.0 number to 3.0 number to be faster etc.

So all the ones that are 2.0 are being sold off so cheaply at present.

I did ask if I could store the photos on the usb sticks (like a 62 mg one) and the answer was sort of vague and unsure, as it hadn't been proven if it is stable for that as yet.

Hmmm...how about I just leave the photos on the sd cards and keep buying new sd cards!

Tiny little things....the dog would chew it in a flash if I dropped it accidentally...and it would be something like...."oh no, there was 100 years of our family historical photos on that!!!"  Cheesy

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #85 - May 2nd, 2014 at 11:27pm

Sophia wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:14pm:

just burn some DVDs.

As a DVD has about 4.7 gb (where do you get the ones that store 9gb?) anyway, divide 9 gb into 500 gb, that's a lot of discs!
What worries me about the CD's is that they can corrupt also and the computer may not be able to read them.
Unless you buy the expensive gold infused ones, that have archival of 100 years.

I have found, even with our old negatives, unless you have a scanner (as I do) to scan them onto your computer, it will cost you now, about $1 per negative to be printed from the camera stores.

Hard drives, and usb sticks, and sd cards, look how far they have come in a short while, and things will change for different medias

I went and asked why is it, when I put photos onto a usb stick, with some videos I had taken with my dslr, and put the usb stick in the usb port on the back of the 'smart tv' it only shows the photos and not the video.

Get an answer something like......different file reading, have to change the video files. Roll Eyes

And PS......even the usb sticks are changing from this 2.0 number to 3.0 number to be faster etc.

I did ask if I could store the photos on the usb sticks (like a 62 mg one) and the answer was sort of vague and unsure, as it hadn't been proven if it is stable for that as yet.

Hmmm...how about I just leave the photos on the sd cards and keep buying new sd cards!

Tiny little things....the dog would chew it in a flash if I dropped it accidentally...and it would be something like...."oh no, there was 100 years of our family historical photos on that!!!"  Cheesy

1 Giga Byte = 1000 Mbytes.
A tera byte = 1000 Giga bytes.

therefore you could fit  66,666  photos each of 15 Megabyte on one x 1 TeraByte drive.

You must take an awful lot of photos.

IP Logged

austranger
Gold Member

Opinionated Sod

adelaide
Reply #86 - May 2nd, 2014 at 11:37pm

Sophia wrote on May 2nd, 2014 at 11:14pm:

just burn some DVDs.

With you there, I have about 50kg of old photo's, and that's just from my life plus me and the kids, and every negative of every one of them too. Now I've collected all the really old pix from my whole family, and there's a LOT of us, lol, and I'm slowly putting them all on memory so we can all have them all, stuff going back to WWII.
   It's a project and a half!
My bro will clean them up after loading then my son who's a digital art specialist,( he has screen cred's for his special effects already) will form them into a fancy presentation, when he finds time with his new baby around, lol.
I've asking them both about long term storage and survival but they seem blase' about it, so all we can do I suppose is have lots of copies and to keep loading them into the latest tech and keep our fingers crossed eh?.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #87 - May 2nd, 2014 at 11:38pm

Quote:
You must take an awful lot of photos.

hahaha, Sir Bobby...that is an understatment, and now, you're getting to know me!  Smiley
You can ask Sherri, she will tell you.
In one week for instance, on a holiday, I can snap over 2000 photos.
I love photography, and am currently studying for a diploma in advanced photography and photo shop.

I have done some weddings, and one before xmas, I took 1,300 photos over the whole day.

I ended up culling a few hundred, and gave about 900 photos to the bride and groom. (and their parents sent me a cheque in the post for an extra amount, for all the hard and dedicated work I did...that was surprisingly nice).
They were so happy, and loved it all.
I took a lot of photos of the guests too, and, it's my way of socializing too!  Smiley

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #88 - May 2nd, 2014 at 11:45pm

Oh, and, my son recently got engaged, and it was me that took the best and most photos (the others just used their phones, and lighting wasn't ideal as night time came upon us...that's the challenging part.....night lighting).

So I had my DSLR and big flash and diffuser, and took heaps of photos, and of course, they all loved the photos once my daughter in law to be put them up on facebook, and so many of their guests use my photos as their profile pics  Grin
Honest to goodness, if I did'nt take the photos, who would?
They all said "You must be D's mum, they said, the lady with the camera"  Grin

Even if there is a pro photographer at the future wedding, I will still have a camera (maybe a more discreet smaller one) to take photos, or I will feel naked without a camera!

Even pro photographers miss things, and guests capture it.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #89 - May 2nd, 2014 at 11:51pm

Quote:
With you there, I have about 50kg of old photo's, and that's just from my life plus me and the kids, and every negative of every one of them too. Now I've collected all the really old pix from my whole family, and there's a LOT of us, lol, and I'm slowly putting them all on memory so we can all have them all, stuff going back to WWII.
   It's a project and a half!
My bro will clean them up after loading then my son who's a digital art specialist,( he has screen cred's for his special effects already) will form them into a fancy presentation, when he finds time with his new baby around, lol.
I've asking them both about long term storage and survival but they seem blase' about it, so all we can do I suppose is have lots of copies and to keep loading them into the latest tech and keep our fingers crossed eh?.

I understand about having to keep loadingthem into the latest tech, that seems to be the catch cry.

This is why, I do a lot of photo books online (digital photo albums) or even scrap booking albums, where you place printed photos in the album (and make sure they are printed to last from wherever you get them printed from, that's another thing we need to be aware of).

Best time to start doing it Austranger, is now, because it will take time, a bit like doing a huge jigsaw puzzle. Just have a place where you put all the photos in different order of decades, and go from there.

If you don't do it, who will?

And I am sure your kids/grandkids/great grandkids, will appreciate the effort of your organizing the photos for their easier viewing. Rather than ask,"when and where was this taken, who are these people?"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print