Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Happy Pagan fertility festival! (Read 1039 times)
The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Happy Pagan fertility festival!
Apr 18th, 2014 at 11:52am

Easter derived from the Saxon Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). The ancient Saxons in Northern Europe worshiped the Goddess Oestre at the time of the Spring Equinox. The Goddess Easter represents the sunrise, spring-time and fertility, the renewal of life.

Pagan Anglo-Saxons made offerings of colored eggs to her at the Vernal Equinox. They placed them at graves especially, probably as a charm of rebirth. (Egyptians and Greeks were also known to place eggs at gravesites).

Only later did the Christians pilfer the name for themselves and graft their religion onto a pagan celebration.

Modern day Easter is still calculated as the first Sunday after the first full moon after the (northern) Spring Equinox. It is also still using fertility symbols such as eggs and rabbits in its celebration.

This wouldn't bother me except when I get Christians who self righteously claim that non Christians shouldn't get Easter as a public holiday.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Re: Happy Pagan fertility festival!
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 11:53am

The_Barnacle wrote on Apr 18th, 2014 at 11:52am:
This wouldn't bother me except when I get Christians who self righteously claim that non Christians shouldn't get Easter as a public holiday.

Does this happen often?

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 11:56am

I thought easter come about because Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected 3 days later .... I've been told that it has been proven beyond a doubt and everyone agrees?

surely you are mistaken about this pagan thing?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 1:03pm

John Smith wrote on Apr 18th, 2014 at 11:56am:
I thought easter come about because Jesus died on the cross and was resurrected 3 days later .... I've been told that it has been proven beyond a doubt and everyone agrees?

Ask Yadda, he's got written proof in some old book that was written back in the day.........apparently.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Adamant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 2:03pm

All religions are pagan and nearly all believe you will be better off dead or be "born again". Perhaps this is why we have so many fruit loops running around trying to kill each other.

Bertrand Russel wrote of a cult in northern Egypt at the beginning of Christianity, passers by would be asked to beat the practitioners to death with a club  as suicide was against god and they were desperate to get to "heaven", if they refused the cultist would kill them so they would get to god quicker. It died out when a stranger escaped.

Another cult in a different country would build a building of very large trees then invite a young virgin couple to have sex in it, at the height of orgasm the adults of the tribe would pull ropes and collapse the alter and kill the youngsters, this would happen around Easter, this was so the tribe could be born again but they were not Christian.

In real life Gandalf is known as Mr 10%

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 2:42pm

No John, whether or not Jesus did die on the cross, the DATE chosen for the Easter celebrations was borrowed from a pagan festival. Just as his birth date was moved to fit in with the pagan winter solstice festivals.

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 3:03pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Apr 18th, 2014 at 2:42pm:

No John, whether or not Jesus did die on the cross, the DATE chosen for the Easter celebrations was borrowed from a pagan festival. Just as his birth date was moved to fit in with the pagan winter solstice festivals.

I was being sarcastic  Wink Wink...

just about everything in the bible has been borrowed from other religions, be they pagan or otherwise

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #7 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 3:30pm

Somewhat irritates me that people still profess to think Christianity to be the be all and end all of civilisation, when they can't even prove their religion to be true. Jesus seemed to only have 12 followers, and then was forgotten about after his execution. Therefore, I would infer that it was all bull crap about him being able to perform miracles. The Romans would have put the man to work for them, and Jesus would have had more followers than The Simpson page on facebook. But when people ignore him like that, and there is no record of him, you dismiss that there ever was someone like him.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 3:32pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 18th, 2014 at 3:30pm:
Somewhat irritates me that people still profess to think Christianity to be the be all and end all of civilisation, when they can't even prove their religion to be true. Jesus seemed to only have 12 followers, and then was forgotten about after his execution. Therefore, I would infer that it was all bull crap about him being able to perform miracles. The Romans would have put the man to work for them, and Jesus would have had more followers than The Simpson page on facebook. But when people ignore him like that, and there is no record of him, you dismiss that there ever was someone like him.

I agree ...  if he really turned water to wine, the Romans would have kept him busy for the next 500 yrs.  Wink

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #9 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 3:39pm

The Romans would have had him healing their sick soldiers. Upon finding out that he is a fraud, they would have beheaded the guy. No person with a reputation like that at that era would have gone unnoticed.

Hence the reason why I gave up on religion at 12 years of age. Actually, I was ready to chuck in the towel at 8 years of age, when I started questioning other church goers about these things. They claimed that I was asking too many questions.

IP Logged

Team Froggie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #10 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 3:51pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Apr 18th, 2014 at 11:52am:
Easter derived from the Saxon Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). The ancient Saxons in Northern Europe worshiped the Goddess Oestre at the time of the Spring Equinox. The Goddess Easter represents the sunrise, spring-time and fertility, the renewal of life.

Pagan Anglo-Saxons made offerings of colored eggs to her at the Vernal Equinox. They placed them at graves especially, probably as a charm of rebirth. (Egyptians and Greeks were also known to place eggs at gravesites).

Only later did the Christians pilfer the name for themselves and graft their religion onto a pagan celebration.

Modern day Easter is still calculated as the first Sunday after the first full moon after the (northern) Spring Equinox. It is also still using fertility symbols such as eggs and rabbits in its celebration.

Fair enough!

So dancing naked around a fire in the backyard would be in tradition, what do I sing instead of Kum ba yah??

Wink

"What's in store for me in the direction I don't take?"-Jack Kerouac.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2014 at 5:01pm

Team Froggie wrote on Apr 18th, 2014 at 3:51pm:
Fair enough!

So dancing naked around a fire in the backyard would be in tradition, what do I sing instead of Kum ba yah??

Wink

Somer is icomin in  of course

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Team Froggie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2014 at 5:47pm

muso wrote on Apr 18th, 2014 at 5:01pm:
Team Froggie wrote on Apr 18th, 2014 at 3:51pm:
Fair enough!

Wink

Somer is icomin in  of course

No good.....
Southern Hemisphere where I am, so Winter is acomin' in.......

Cheesy

"What's in store for me in the direction I don't take?"-Jack Kerouac.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print