Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Why does the government reward bludgers? (Read 6254 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Why does the government reward bludgers?
Reply #75 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 12:23am

Winston Smith wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 12:11am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 12:09am:
Let me explain it to you.

> I grew up with nothing and have been on my own since I was sixteen and totally broke

> I've served this country

> I've worked years of eighteen + hour days and endured hazards on a daily basis.

> I've endured affirmative action and consequent destruction of career prospects

>  I've endured two divorces and total asset stripping as a result

> I've endured piss poor management that has destroyed companies I've worked with

>  I've endured an escalating number of disabilities for years - they now total fifteen

>  I've been kicked around from pillar to post to satisfy every goddamned politically correct idea in our totally lost and confused society

> I've never been a criminal - unlike some in government who have delighted in ripping me off repeatedly

>  I'm 64 - 65 this year and am still working and working on developing a company of my own so no idiot can ruin it.

Now - all that said - what part of 'bludger' comes into the fact that I receive around $20k a year and all medicals from the government?

http://oi60.tinypic.com/316xoxf.jpg

Dad??? Shocked Shocked Grin

Could be - is your last name Smith?  (Mine isn't but it's a kind of generic name...)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #76 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 12:23am

*kick page turner on the shins...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Winston Smith
Gold Member

Ministry of Truth

Oceania
Reply #77 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 12:29am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 12:23am:
Winston Smith wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 12:11am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 12:09am:
Let me explain it to you.

> I grew up with nothing and have been on my own since I was sixteen and totally broke

> I've served this country

> I've worked years of eighteen + hour days and endured hazards on a daily basis.

> I've endured affirmative action and consequent destruction of career prospects

>  I've endured two divorces and total asset stripping as a result

> I've endured piss poor management that has destroyed companies I've worked with

>  I've endured an escalating number of disabilities for years - they now total fifteen

>  I've been kicked around from pillar to post to satisfy every goddamned politically correct idea in our totally lost and confused society

> I've never been a criminal - unlike some in government who have delighted in ripping me off repeatedly

>  I'm 64 - 65 this year and am still working and working on developing a company of my own so no idiot can ruin it.

Now - all that said - what part of 'bludger' comes into the fact that I receive around $20k a year and all medicals from the government?

http://oi60.tinypic.com/316xoxf.jpg

Dad??? Shocked Shocked Grin

Could be - is your last name Smith?  (Mine isn't but it's a kind of generic name...)

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2eb6885.jpg

No Mr Jones, I have McSurname.

Big Brother is watching you

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 12:47am

Nah - wrong one - we don't do Mcs - all are O' or Mac

Time for bed anyway...

« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2014 at 12:53am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

― John Adams

IP Logged

Peter Freedman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wellington
Reply #79 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:13am

TheGreenLight wrote on Mar 14th, 2014 at 6:49am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 14th, 2014 at 4:41am:
TheGreenLight wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 9:01pm:
[ftp][/ftp]Aussie wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 8:41pm:
TheGreenLight wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:44pm:
I turn 65 soon, and i am not entitled to receive a pension. I have saved all my life, and apparently too much, I can live off of the money and Super that I have saved over the years. I know people who have blown all of their money, or at least a lot of it, and they get $20,000 a year from the taxpayer, and I get bigger all. Both sides do this, Labor and the Coalition. Why is this? Where is the incentive to save, where is the incentive to be prudent and wise with your money? Why do we reward those who waste their money? bugger I have completely lost it with all sides of politics in this country.

All good points, but I'm not so sure about people wasting their money etc.

You, like me, are one of the Baby Boomers.  There are zillions of us and we are causing a transitional nightmare.  Few of us have meaningful 'super,' because it was not compulsory when we were making any worthwhile money.  It was only later in our working life that the 'super' came along, so we are behind the eight ball......with Super.

Only one other alternative, which is the Aged Pension.

I understand where you're coming from, but let me give you an example. A bfriend of mine and i earned roughly the same amount of money all our lives. He had to have the best of everything. Every time we'd go out for lunch or dinner he'd order one of the most expensive meals on the menu. He wasted his money like it was going out of his fashion, and hardly saved a dime. I scrimped and saved all my life, when I was married and when I was single. Now that he's blown his, he is entitled to taxpayer money at the rate of $20,000 a year. I am entitled to stuff all.

He enjoyed life while you did not? Seriously - you want to live on 20k a year? He hasnt got the best of everything now.

SOB

Why can't anyone but john_g grasp the point of this thread?

It's not that I need the money, it's the whole principle of the situation.

If he squandered his money, why should the taxpayer fork out $20,000 a year, and give the prudent people like me, not a cent?

What "principle"?

That the state should provide an income for someone who doesn't need it?

Everyone's circumstances are different. People who reach retirement age with few assets or savings have not necessarily frittered them away.

GL, why not just be satisfied with your lot, enjoy a comfortable self funded retirement, rather than becoming bitter because you cannot receive an income from the nation that you don't need anyway.

God grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and, above all, the wisdom to tell the difference.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 11:41am

I totally agree you fat lazy ghett - in order not to receive a government pension you and your equally fat missus would need to be drawing in $72k a year on top of your obvious assets... if you are single you are dragging in over $47k a year.

You find it hard to live on - if we split that between the pair of you - double what a pensioner gets for a lifetime of toil and often hardship, and out of which you don't farken pay rent - since the figure you give is including rental assistance in a savage market?

Try this figure - a pensioner pays $300 a week rent out of that $20k - they are left with how much spending money for food and stuff?

Here ya go - $20,000 - 15,600 = $4,400 a year or $84 a week.

Double the pension NOW!  Take it from the property hoarders and investment hoarders....

― John Adams

IP Logged

dave

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:07pm

The Green Light, this has always been a thorn in my side as well and, as you rightly pointed out, there are many who did waste their money, OS holidays every year, new cars, boats, often while their kids struggled through the public school system.

I have long though about a system that rewards effort, that being one that pays you a pension, based on the amount of taxes you contibuted throughout your working life and, if you managed to save well, then that would be a bonus.

Instead, we frown at people like you, and

have pity for those who didn't save well.

Of cause, i have also had to deal with the tall poppies along the way.

In fact, i have a saying, that is, we are all presented with an equal opportunity to fail, its just that some of us choose not to, and to be punished is simply bizzar.

My sympathies are with you as although i am about ten years your youth, i too have worked hard, invested all my life, provided rental houses that would simply not have been available without incentives, while providing an A class education for our two now adult children.

To think we went without so much, only to be slugged even further is plain wrong.

I can remember hearing the saying back in 76 when i commenced work, work hard and strive to be well off and you will be rewarded. Well, nothing could be farther from the truth.

There are two causes in my view, one, poor management from our governments, and two, too many hand outs.

IP Logged

dave

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:12pm

To the grappler 2014, nominations are now open for the under achievers awards. Care to nominate!

There are many people who are quite happy to sit back and allow someone else to provide for them, even if those provisions are often piss against the wall.

surely the very least they can do is be grateful.

Its just not in their DNA is it!

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #83 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:38pm

dave wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:07pm:
The Green Light, this has always been a thorn in my side as well and, as you rightly pointed out, there are many who did waste their money, OS holidays every year, new cars, boats, often while their kids struggled through the public school system.

I have long though about a system that rewards effort, that being one that pays you a pension, based on the amount of taxes you contibuted throughout your working life and, if you managed to save well, then that would be a bonus.

Instead, we frown at people like you, and

have pity for those who didn't save well.

Of cause, i have also had to deal with the tall poppies along the way.

In fact, i have a saying, that is, we are all presented with an equal opportunity to fail, its just that some of us choose not to, and to be punished is simply bizzar.

My sympathies are with you as although i am about ten years your youth, i too have worked hard, invested all my life, provided rental houses that would simply not have been available without incentives, while providing an A class education for our two now adult children.

To think we went without so much, only to be slugged even further is plain wrong.

I can remember hearing the saying back in 76 when i commenced work, work hard and strive to be well off and you will be rewarded. Well, nothing could be farther from the truth.

There are two causes in my view, one, poor management from our governments, and two, too many hand outs.

There are too many middle class handouts and tax loopholes for the wealthy - that's for certain, but as far as the rest of your post goes, why would you want government handouts when you don't need them?

In regard to all the properties you own for such magnanimous reasons - did you take advantage of negative gearing? If you did - then you got some very healthy handouts.

Welfare was originally introduced for a reason - that was to help those people who had little, either through misfortune or mismanagement of their life.

Would you prefer those who need an aged pension be thrown into the streets instead to beg for food and shelter?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #84 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:40pm

TheGreenLight wrote on Mar 13th, 2014 at 7:44pm:
I turn 65 soon, and i am not entitled to receive a pension. I have saved all my life, and apparently too much, I can live off of the money and Super that I have saved over the years. I know people who have blown all of their money, or at least a lot of it, and they get $20,000 a year from the taxpayer, and I get bigger all. Both sides do this, Labor and the Coalition. Why is this? Where is the incentive to save, where is the incentive to be prudent and wise with your money? Why do we reward those who waste their money? bugger I have completely lost it with all sides of politics in this country.

Life is full of injustices & there are millions of stories just like yours.

Unfortunately the Govt. is broke so they have introduced unfair rules
to try & reduce their costs.
Right now they are paying public servants & social security with borrowed money.

We'll end up like Greece before long.

IP Logged

imcrookonit
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:48pm

Well said Bat, and now they are talking about spending how much $ on defense?.  Go figure.      Sad

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #86 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:52pm

Quote:
Well said Bat, and now they are talking about spending how much $ on defense?.  Go figure.      Sad

I don't know Crook - other than all done on borrowed money.

The debt gets greater every second.

It's now over $345 billion.

see link:

http://www.australiandebtclock.com.au/

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #87 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 4:10pm

Bobby. wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:52pm:
Quote:

see link:

Yet when Labor left office it was $268 billion - so in six months this government has added another $80 billion. How did this happen considering they claim to be so austere and efficient?

They've borrowed another $200 billion of which it appears they've spent $45 already meaning that at the end of their first term - they would have accrued as much debt as Labor incurred in 6 years.

Quote:

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #88 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 4:16pm

mantra wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 4:10pm:
Bobby. wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:52pm:
Quote:

see link:

Yet when Labor left office it was $268 billion - so in six months this government has added another $80 billion. How did this happen considering they claim to be so austere and efficient?

They've borrowed another $200 billion of which it appears they've spent $45 already meaning that at the end of their first term - they would have accrued as much debt as Labor incurred in 6 years.

Quote:

There is a simple answer:

Tony Abbott is a liar.

He never had any solutions -  it was all election hype.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Mar 15th, 2014 at 4:35pm

dave wrote on Mar 15th, 2014 at 1:07pm:

So you worked hard and haven't been rewarded? you should have gotten others underneath you to work hard and you will be rewarded......ask Gina.....even the Egyptians worked that out.

Sometimes having less is having more, if you know what I mean. You sound pretty bitter for someone who won't be battling on $20,000 a year. Maybe you need a nice long holiday Dave.....and chill out, life's not all about money or worrying about what some other bugger is getting or not getting.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print